> Interesting Music Choices
Phil66
post Apr 6 2018, 08:45 PM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Hello folks,

I'm currently trying to transcribe the intro of a Paul Weller song, it's piqued my interest in the man. I found this video and thought you might like to maybe get some inspiration from, or an introduction to, some of the music that inspires him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78hwidivtLU

I might investigate some of it wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Apr 6 2018, 10:29 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 17.304

Paul Weller is the real deal. One of my favorites.
Thanks for posting that Phil!

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 7 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #3

You're welcome Ken, I think I'm going to get all of those except for the avant-garde one, at the moment I can't handle that kind of thing, it fries my brain wacko.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Apr 8 2018, 05:48 AM
Post #4

That record store is in Hollywood. Truly awesome place and in this day and age, one of the few places with any real music selection left.

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 8 2018, 08:01 PM
Post #5

Interesting Ken,

This is interesting too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBgQGDJqTko

And this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHS3cmhrtS4

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Apr 8 2018, 10:50 PM
Post #6

He's a great interview.
He answers seriously (earnestly), has no problem talking about his past/career, etc but still keeps it light.
I have to say though that sometimes I have trouble understanding him. What's his accent? Where's he from exactly?

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 9 2018, 08:47 AM
Post #7

He's from Woking in Surrey, I struggle to understand him sometimes too but I'm from the home of Metal and nobody can understand us laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Apr 9 2018, 02:45 PM
Post #8

OK, I don't feel so bad now.
Where is the 'home of metal'?

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 9 2018, 03:19 PM
Post #9

http://homeofmetal.com/the-bands/ cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Apr 9 2018, 04:33 PM
Post #10

Awesome.
I love a geography/music history lesson.
Thanks!

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 9 2018, 08:15 PM
Post #11

You're very welcome Ken, I live very close to where Diamond Head came from (Stourbridge, you may have heard of Stuart Crystal Glass). They were the main inspiration for Metallica and a friend of mine's brother was their personal manager, my friend used to be a helper of roadies during the long school summer holiday, great gig for a kid eh?

Cheers Ken, glad you like this little digression from Mr Weller wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 9 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 8 2018, 06:50 PM) *
He's a great interview.
He answers seriously (earnestly), has no problem talking about his past/career, etc but still keeps it light.
I have to say though that sometimes I have trouble understanding him. What's his accent? Where's he from exactly?

It's curious to notice that I find his accent easier to understand than some people from USA. Is him from England? Is it the home of metal? biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 9 2018, 08:51 PM
Post #13

Paul is from Woking, Surrey, UK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woking

I'm from the Home Of Metal, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Country which is usually associated with Birmingham https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham

cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Apr 9 2018, 09:28 PM
Post #14

My wife is from Italy and she too can generally understand an "English" accent easier than some American accents (heavy southern accent, working class New York/New Jersey, African American and Hispanic American 'street' talk, etc.)

Diamond Head's 'Shoot Out the Lights' was sort of popular here.

Here's some more tangential R&R history ...
Apparently Diamond Head's name comes from a Phil Manzanera album poster that guitarist Brian Tatler had hanging in his bedroom. Though the Manzanera record has nothing to do with the Band Diamond Head's sound at all. *Phil Manzanera is the long time guitarist in Roxy Music (one of my all time fave bands) as well as the band '801'.

I wonder if Paul Weller likes Roxy Music?
Or were the mod revival guys anti glam?

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 9 2018, 09:30 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 10 2018, 10:17 AM
Post #15

As far as I know, Tatler still teaches guitar in Stourbridge. Robert Plant works with Stourbridge college as a mentor.

Weller has admitted that he was much more narrow minded when he was younger so he may have been "anti glam" but after seeing that record shop video I think he has broadened his musical horizons enough to encompass glam if that was the case.

My mom loves Roxy Music, she also loves Motorhead and to this day at 79 years old she smiles if she hears Ace Of Spades smile.gif When I was a kid I had Ace Of Spades on cassette, I couldn't find it anywhere, I eventually found it in my Mom's portable cassette player on the front seat of her Mini. The car didn't have built in music so she used a mono cassette player, the small top loader with a pull out handle that came out from underneath the transport keys. It was about 10" long by 7" wide, you must have seen one wink.gif

I'll watch that video ASAP.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Apr 10 2018, 02:24 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 10 2018, 02:17 AM) *
she used a mono cassette player, the small top loader with a pull out handle that came out from underneath the transport keys. It was about 10" long by 7" wide, you must have seen one wink.gif

Sort of like this?

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 10 2018, 02:42 PM
Post #17

Pretty much but we couldn't afford anything as extravagent as a Sony smile.gif A few years later I had the car from her but I had one of those big twin cassette ghetto blasters. It was crazy, I put it on the back seat, and on one of the radio frequencies it used to pick up interference from the car's ignition system, with a bit of EQ it could sound like a racing exhaust (to my ears anyway) so I used to set that up and put volume on max with windows open and cruise cool.gif I was only 17 at the time laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2019 - 07:37 PM