2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Rate My Sweep-picking
FretDancer69
Aug 8 2007, 03:35 AM
GMC:er
Hello, i re-started practicing Sweep-picking today after a while doing other stuff. I must say ive seen alot of improvement. So i wanted to record them and see what you guys think. It really took me alot of time to record something descent, so here it is.

Its from Pavels Sweep Picking Etude lesson. It is not the whole lesson, i just want you to comment on my sweeps, how they sound, and some suggestions. Ive only been practicing Sweep-Picking seriously for like 1 months or 1 month and a half.

Thanks

the sweeping starts after 4 or 5 secs.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Aug 8 2007, 03:56 AM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Aug 8 2007, 03:37 AM
ill give a 7-8/10 biggrin.gif nice sweeping is my toughest tequnique to do

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 8 2007, 03:53 AM
i give it a 7. but keep working on it and you'll get it. im stilling working on my sweeps.

and when you play the b and g string notes its seems like your playing them too fast and they dont sound clear.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 8 2007, 03:56 AM
I would give you a 7 out of 10 as well. smile.gif It's very hard to get the hang of but your on the right track.Thanks for posting it hope you will check out my upload, biggrin.gif

Shredmandan

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Layzer
Aug 8 2007, 04:11 AM
Honestly, I'd give it a 5 or 6 but if you work 2 hours a day on that passage for 2 or 3 days it would be around a 8 or 9!

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 8 2007, 04:12 AM
thanks for listening and commenting guys.

QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 7 2007, 08:56 PM) *
I would give you a 7 out of 10 as well. smile.gif It's very hard to get the hang of but your on the right track.Thanks for posting it hope you will check out my upload, biggrin.gif

Shredmandan

thanks. Seems like 7/10 is not that bad for 1 month of serious practicing. Ill definately keep it up, because i really want to compose using sweeppicking. I checked your upload! it was great man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 8 2007, 04:42 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Aug 7 2007, 11:12 PM) *
thanks for listening and commenting guys.
thanks. Seems like 7/10 is not that bad for 1 month of serious practicing. Ill definately keep it up, because i really want to compose using sweeppicking. I checked your upload! it was great man!

Thanks biggrin.gif
I just put anotherone up now.It's clean not what i do mosted of the time but thought i would show a diferent side of my playing. smile.gif For one month of sweeping your on your way.I'm right there with you rying to get it down.I'm more into the larger 5 string sweeps right now.Thats what i really like and have been working on.We can all do it its just how bad do you want it biggrin.gif Once again great job

Shredmandan

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 8 2007, 04:50 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 7 2007, 09:42 PM) *
Thanks biggrin.gif
I just put anotherone up now.It's clean not what i do mosted of the time but thought i would show a diferent side of my playing. smile.gif For one month of sweeping your on your way.I'm right there with you rying to get it down.I'm more into the larger 5 string sweeps right now.Thats what i really like and have been working on.We can all do it its just how bad do you want it biggrin.gif Once again great job
Shredmandan

ill check it out. Ill keep posting if i see progress biggrin.gif . Its funny, i used to hate 3 string sweeps, i can 5 string sweeps too, i think they are easier, but i cant do the upstrokes lol tongue.gif . Anyways, thanks for rating and listening.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 8 2007, 04:53 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Aug 7 2007, 11:50 PM) *
ill check it out. Ill keep posting if i see progress biggrin.gif . Its funny, i used to hate 3 string sweeps, i can 5 string sweeps too, i think they are easier, but i cant do the upstrokes lol tongue.gif . Anyways, thanks for rating and listening.

Yeah man same problem for me on the upstroke smile.gif It does seem harder for me to do 2 string sweeps than anyother.Keep it coming even just riffs you make up i enjoy hearing it all.It makes this place that much better biggrin.gif

Shredmandan

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Victafor
Aug 8 2007, 06:51 PM
thats pretty good... theres a few mistakes but we alll make mistakes.... just work ure way up to 160bpm slowly. thats what im still trying to do tongue.gif

Edit: woops ure already at 160... sry didnt realize that

QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 8 2007, 04:53 AM) *
Yeah man same problem for me on the upstroke smile.gif It does seem harder for me to do 2 string sweeps than anyother.Keep it coming even just riffs you make up i enjoy hearing it all.It makes this place that much better biggrin.gif

Shredmandan

those 2-3 string sweeps are way easier for me...and 5 strink upstrokes seem lots easier too... i play cleaner on upstrokes

This post has been edited by Victafor: Aug 8 2007, 06:53 PM

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 8 2007, 07:18 PM
QUOTE (Victafor @ Aug 8 2007, 11:51 AM) *
Edit: woops ure already at 160... sry didnt realize that

So that means i should work on muting and cleaningness now right? Ok, thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 8 2007, 09:51 PM
Instructor
Man you're trying to do it too fast! You can't play it fast if you can't play it slow and make it clean. So you have to TOTALLY slow down and play it extremely slow with each note crystal clear!

Let's just put it like this - it took me almost 3 years of sweeping - like 4 hours each day dedicated ONLY to sweeping to get to where i am now. Be patient!!

There is certain amount of hours each player has to spend to learn certain technique and the number of hours is huge so just keep practicing it slowly or you're gonna spoil your technique and you'll loose your motivation!

Than lesson is not easy at all! It's not even easy for me! I can play it but i can't say it's simple!

First you HAVE TO MASTER simple 3 string arpeggios before even moving to these extended shapes! And i can also hear your left and right hand are not synchronized at all so - SLOW DOWN! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 8 2007, 10:05 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 8 2007, 02:51 PM) *
Man you're trying to do it too fast! You can't play it fast if you can't play it slow and make it clean. So you have to TOTALLY slow down and play it extremely slow with each note crystal clear!

Let's just put it like this - it took me almost 3 years of sweeping - like 4 hours each day dedicated ONLY to sweeping to get to where i am now. Be patient!!

There is certain amount of hours each player has to spend to learn certain technique and the number of hours is huge so just keep practicing it slowly or you're gonna spoil your technique and you'll loose your motivation!

Than lesson is not easy at all! It's not even easy for me! I can play it but i can't say it's simple!

First you HAVE TO MASTER simple 3 string arpeggios before even moving to these extended shapes! And i can also hear your left and right hand are not synchronized at all so - SLOW DOWN! smile.gif

thanks Pavel. So you say that i cleaningness goes before speed. Thanks, but can you tell me how to use the metronome when practicing sweeps? I can use it when Speedpicking, but not when sweeping.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 8 2007, 10:18 PM
Instructor
When you play a sweep clean - it means you have understood the motion and cooperation between left and right hand when sweeping! Than you can SLIGHTLY rise the speed and practice it until you can play it EASILY. Than you rise the speed again.

Here is the link where i play and count with metronome so you can get the idea of how to practice with metronome:

http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...esson/index.htm

Visit video number 4!

Good luck and ask if you need something! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 8 2007, 10:30 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 8 2007, 03:18 PM) *
When you play a sweep clean - it means you have understood the motion and cooperation between left and right hand when sweeping! Than you can SLIGHTLY rise the speed and practice it until you can play it EASILY. Than you rise the speed again.

Here is the link where i play and count with metronome so you can get the idea of how to practice with metronome:

http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...esson/index.htm

Visit video number 4!

Good luck and ask if you need something! smile.gif

thanks Pavel. Also, do you recommend i should practice and nail that lesson before the Etude? It seems its faster and more diffcult than the etude to me... unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 8 2007, 10:33 PM
Instructor
Etude is much more difficult than the lesson in that link! It may seem slower but it has trickier stuff to do! In order to learn sweeping correctly you first have to master basic shapes so first learn that lesson - than move to sweeping etude! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 8 2007, 10:37 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 8 2007, 03:51 PM) *

darn it Pavel. When I read that rated a 5-7 out of a possible 10, I figured I must be a guitar god. So now you cut me down to size to sad.gif .

There is way to much blowing sunshine around this forum, does nobody any good. He should thank you for being honest.

edit: oh, I see he did thank you, well good for both of you.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 8 2007, 10:38 PM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 8 2007, 10:43 PM
Instructor
Friendly relationship and honesty must go together especially among student and teacher! There is no good if say him he is brilliant in sweeping and then he plays a solo to his friend and his friend asks him: "What kind of moron taught you to sweep like that?" and the answer is: "Pavel at GMC!". Not a very good compliment to GMC and me, don't you think? smile.gif

FretDancer is a great guy and he understands that truth sometimes hurts but it also helps to understand the roots of the problem! That way he will have no limits in progress later! smile.gif

Sunshine (like you named it) is necessary but in limited amounts! smile.gif

Keep rocking guys - i'm here to help! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 8 2007, 11:14 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 8 2007, 04:51 PM) *

Im glad you brought this up Pavel,because i dont understand how it can be a sweep at such a low speed?You dont get that lightining sound doing it slow which i believe is sweep.I think many people are confused on what sweep actually is?I am when it comes to speed because i though thats what it was a speed technique.If you can sweep at slow speeds i can definatly do it then i just didnt think it was sweep unless it made that quick sound,.Maybe you could do a lesson to show us sweep at the slowest speed possible. biggrin.gif I just fell that when doing at such a slow speed you can produce the same sound without even using a pick just by hammering and pulling off.Definatly people here need more help on this technique

Shredmandan

I'd like to add.Pavel you say you practiced sweep for four hours a day for 3 years??I dont doubt that one bit thats what it takes but did it really take you that long just to get the technique down?Also do you feel you are at a level now that you could sweep anything that anybody in metal and shred are doing right now. biggrin.gif Im interested to hear what you have to say. smile.gif

Shredmandan

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 8 2007, 11:23 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Well I would say that the sweep is the technique irrespective of speed. Sure, it is designed to be played fast, that is what it is for, but playing the same action slowly still qualifies as a sweep, its the technique that qualifies it not the speed, and as we all know, playing it slowly is essential to getting it clean and building speed later on.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:26 AM