Top 10 Modern Metal Guitarists
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 10 2018, 03:20 PM
Instructor
I've found many Synyster Gates fans out there recently. He is part of this list among with other 9 modern metal guitarists.

Who's your favorite?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 12 2018, 11:32 PM
GMC:er
Emil Werstler

Martin Goulding of Linear Sphere

and Chimp Spanner

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2018, 01:17 AM
It's great to see players taking things in new directions and even using the STICK to play killer stuff. Great shares guys!!
No top 10 guitarist list is complete with Tony Mcalpine IMHO smile.gif But more so, check out this amazing gal playing with him named NILI BROSH. She is just AWESOME. Classic track "Tears of Sahara". I"m not a big fan of EMG pups anymore, everyone seems to have to go through an EMG phase at some point smile.gif But at least they are both using what I think are the best set EMG currently makes, the 57 which is alnico based and sounds very dynamic. I had one in my 8 string rusty cooley and it really made a huge difference from the original 808 which just offended my ears from the first note.

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Jul 12 2018, 06:32 PM) *
Emil Werstler

Martin Goulding of Linear Sphere

and Chimp Spanner

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 13 2018, 01:22 AM

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 13 2018, 11:14 AM
100% agree. I hate EMG pickups. Never had EMGs I liked. Tony is always great too.
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 13 2018, 12:17 AM) *
It's great to see players taking things in new directions and even using the STICK to play killer stuff. Great shares guys!!
No top 10 guitarist list is complete with Tony Mcalpine IMHO smile.gif But more so, check out this amazing gal playing with him named NILI BROSH. She is just AWESOME. Classic track "Tears of Sahara". I"m not a big fan of EMG pups anymore, everyone seems to have to go through an EMG phase at some point smile.gif But at least they are both using what I think are the best set EMG currently makes, the 57 which is alnico based and sounds very dynamic. I had one in my 8 string rusty cooley and it really made a huge difference from the original 808 which just offended my ears from the first note.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2018, 02:51 PM
Instructor
I only know EMG81 and I've never liked it. I haven't explored their catalogue for passive stuff because that 81 scarred me... laugh.gif
My friend Lian Gerbino had one in his guitar and I hated how it sounded. I feel that it makes every guitar sound the same, don't you think so?

By the way, great suggestions guys!! Thanks a lot! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2018, 07:30 PM
The 81 is the standard pup they are known for and I don't like them at all, as you say they have very little dynamics, too much ccompression, and make everything you play sound the same. Some folks love them. To each his own. I had the Kerry King EMG set which came with a 20 DB boost switch. This was in addition to the preamp inside the pickjups. I did like how you could get just insane amounts of gain for lead work at the flip of a switch on your guitar. But I never did like the overall tone. A bit too thin. As folks turned away from EMG and towards passive pups, they responded by making a PU that sounded more passive and had better dynamics, that's the 57. If you ever get a guitar with EMG pups in it, rather than converting it to passives, it's easier/cheaper just to drop a 57 in the bridge and call it a day smile.gif

Of course the new "thing" in active pups is the FISHMAN FLUENCE. Just about everybody seems to be using these. I've not tried them but they must be pretty decent as everybody and their brother seems to have a set. Have you tried them?
Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 13 2018, 09:51 AM) *
I only know EMG81 and I've never liked it. I haven't explored their catalogue for passive stuff because that 81 scarred me... laugh.gif
My friend Lian Gerbino had one in his guitar and I hated how it sounded. I feel that it makes every guitar sound the same, don't you think so?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 13 2018, 07:32 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 14 2018, 05:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 13 2018, 03:30 PM) *
The 81 is the standard pup they are known for and I don't like them at all, as you say they have very little dynamics, too much ccompression, and make everything you play sound the same. Some folks love them. To each his own. I had the Kerry King EMG set which came with a 20 DB boost switch. This was in addition to the preamp inside the pickjups. I did like how you could get just insane amounts of gain for lead work at the flip of a switch on your guitar. But I never did like the overall tone. A bit too thin. As folks turned away from EMG and towards passive pups, they responded by making a PU that sounded more passive and had better dynamics, that's the 57. If you ever get a guitar with EMG pups in it, rather than converting it to passives, it's easier/cheaper just to drop a 57 in the bridge and call it a day smile.gif

Of course the new "thing" in active pups is the FISHMAN FLUENCE. Just about everybody seems to be using these. I've not tried them but they must be pretty decent as everybody and their brother seems to have a set. Have you tried them?
Todd

I've never heard of them. I'm now using google... and this is what I've found:

What would be the advantage of using this againts passive? I think that I still preffer passive's dynamics.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jul 14 2018, 05:46 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 15 2018, 01:45 AM
The FISHMAN FLUENCE has become the "Pickup of the Moment" as it were. I see wads of touring folks opting for the FLUENCE. Especially folks that play Strandberg Guitars it seems. The fluence is supposed to combine the best of both worlds in terms of dynamics and immediacy of response offered by active pickups. I"ve never tried them personally so I honestly can't say. Though some folks do swear by them.
Anyone here actually tried the Fluence? Tosin Abasi swears by them and keith Merrow now has his own passive signature Fishman pickups, and the list goes on and on from Steven Carpenter to Devin Townsend. All of whom has switched to some variant of Fishman Fluence pickups.
https://www.fishman.com/products/series/fluence/

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 14 2018, 12:45 AM) *
I've never heard of them. I'm now using google... and this is what I've found:

What would be the advantage of using this againts passive? I think that I still preffer passive's dynamics.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 15 2018, 07:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 13 2018, 02:51 PM) *

I agree and disagree , The 81 is a killer metal pick up , made for 1 reason , to push a tube amp . The rub is people get them and start running them thru software , thus sterilizing the pick up. You have to turn the gain down on your interface .

IMO there is no reason to run an active pick up thru anything other than a tube amp . A passive pick up with your gain about to clip is better than an active pick up with gain turned down so it won;t clip

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 15 2018, 07:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 14 2018, 09:45 PM) *
The FISHMAN FLUENCE has become the "Pickup of the Moment" as it were. I see wads of touring folks opting for the FLUENCE. Especially folks that play Strandberg Guitars it seems. The fluence is supposed to combine the best of both worlds in terms of dynamics and immediacy of response offered by active pickups. I"ve never tried them personally so I honestly can't say. Though some folks do swear by them.
Anyone here actually tried the Fluence? Tosin Abasi swears by them and keith Merrow now has his own passive signature Fishman pickups, and the list goes on and on from Steven Carpenter to Devin Townsend. All of whom has switched to some variant of Fishman Fluence pickups.
https://www.fishman.com/products/series/fluence/

Thanks for the information Todd, this is very clear and interesting. I'll continue exploring about this pickups.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 15 2018, 03:02 PM) *
I agree and disagree , The 81 is a killer metal pick up , made for 1 reason , to push a tube amp . The rub is people get them and start running them thru software , thus sterilizing the pick up. You have to turn the gain down on your interface .

IMO there is no reason to run an active pick up thru anything other than a tube amp . A passive pick up with your gain about to clip is better than an active pick up with gain turned down so it won;t clip

hahah agree and disagree. Thanks for the explanation, I honestly didn't know about the real purpose of this type of pick ups and it makes sense.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 17 2018, 05:25 AM
The EMG 81 preamp almost acts like a "High Pass Filter" when paired with a tube amp. This is essentially the same thing as using a tube screamer in front of a tube amp. Some of the low frequency information is essentially clipped off and thus the sound is "tighter" and since the active pickup has a built in preamp, it's doing the same job as a tube screamer and acting like a clean boost by itself. It drives tube amps harder than a passive pickup could due to it's higher output. There are some passive pickups that have similar high output, but not many. The EMG 81 was worshipped in the 80s by many in the Metal community for being able to make an amp sound seriously METAL. Especially tube amps which tend to bunch up the bass/low frequencies.

GABE: Yeah the FLUENCE has been exploding on the scene since it's introduction. I hope I get a chance to play a guitar with a pair of them installed. I like how you can change it's EQ settings with a push pull knob and it's cool that the battery pack is the cover plate for the trem and that the charge lasts for weeks. They also make a passive now that Keith Merrow has jumped in and demanded a passive version of pickup for the same reason that we like passive pups smile.gif I"m glad he did. Love to try that one out as well.
Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 15 2018, 02:20 PM) *
Thanks for the information Todd, this is very clear and interesting. I'll continue exploring about this pickups.

hahah agree and disagree. Thanks for the explanation, I honestly didn't know about the real purpose of this type of pick ups and it makes sense.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 17 2018, 05:25 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:20 AM