> Show Your Junk! Killer Studio
Todd Simpson
post Jul 31 2018, 10:19 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

This guy has never gotten rid of anything and his studio is killer!! Have you gotten rid of stuff you regret?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 6 2018, 10:31 AM
Post #2

Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 4.276

I have gotten rid of a lot I wish I still had in my arsenal.
Still, the reason for selling it weighs up for the loss.

A few years back I sold almost everything I had, as we needed money to buy a house when my daughter was born.
That was far more important to me than my gear. I wish I didn't have to, but that's they way it goes sometimes.
You can always get new gear, but you don't get more than one chance giving your daughter a good start in this world smile.gif

I'm just getting my home recording studio up and running again, so I'm happy.
New soundcard is in place, upgraded some of the old plugins and bought some new stuff, new Macbook Pro, new guitar, new amp, new mics and a shitload of cables. Step by step, I'm getting close to where I was (although it'll be a smaller setup this time with just the stuff I actually need) smile.gif

I'll post some new recordings once I've fiddled a bit with the new equipment and get the sounds I'm looking for.
I used to mix/master a few local metal bands back in the day, but I need to brush up on my skills again.

I can't remember all that got sold off in the process, but this is what I remember at the moment:
Universal Audio LA610 MkII
Focusrite ISA One
Hall Amplification Lil' Devil
Suhr Corso
Nik Huber Redwood
Nik Huber Special Korina
Fender Custom Shop Tele Deluxe
Fender Custom Shop Jazzmaster
Macbook Pro
Microphones (Shure sm57s, Shure Beta57s, Tube mics, Condensator mics, etc.)
Marshall JMP-1 (Folkesson modded)
All my pedals (all high-end stuff, too many to list).
Studio desk with 8 rack spaces
Hardware compressor/limiter (can't remember the name)
Presonus Studio Channel
etc.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 8 2018, 01:27 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Life will step in and put things in perspective smile.gif Glad that you got your house and now you have your studio back as well!! Score!
Todd
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Aug 6 2018, 05:31 AM) *
I have gotten rid of a lot I wish I still had in my arsenal.
Still, the reason for selling it weighs up for the loss.

A few years back I sold almost everything I had, as we needed money to buy a house when my daughter was born.
That was far more important to me than my gear. I wish I didn't have to, but that's they way it goes sometimes.
You can always get new gear, but you don't get more than one chance giving your daughter a good start in this world smile.gif

I'm just getting my home recording studio up and running again, so I'm happy.
New soundcard is in place, upgraded some of the old plugins and bought some new stuff, new Macbook Pro, new guitar, new amp, new mics and a shitload of cables. Step by step, I'm getting close to where I was (although it'll be a smaller setup this time with just the stuff I actually need) smile.gif

I'll post some new recordings once I've fiddled a bit with the new equipment and get the sounds I'm looking for.
I used to mix/master a few local metal bands back in the day, but I need to brush up on my skills again.

I can't remember all that got sold off in the process, but this is what I remember at the moment:
Universal Audio LA610 MkII
Focusrite ISA One
Hall Amplification Lil' Devil
Suhr Corso
Nik Huber Redwood
Nik Huber Special Korina
Fender Custom Shop Tele Deluxe
Fender Custom Shop Jazzmaster
Macbook Pro
Microphones (Shure sm57s, Shure Beta57s, Tube mics, Condensator mics, etc.)
Marshall JMP-1 (Folkesson modded)
All my pedals (all high-end stuff, too many to list).
Studio desk with 8 rack spaces
Hardware compressor/limiter (can't remember the name)
Presonus Studio Channel
etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 8 2018, 11:31 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 8 2018, 02:27 AM) *
Life will step in and put things in perspective smile.gif Glad that you got your house and now you have your studio back as well!! Score!
Todd

Yeah, and to be honest I think it was for the better.
Before, everything was about guitars and gear (and beer) and now I feel I'm in a more happier/balanced place :-)

But it's great to get the essentials up and running again.
What I've missed the most is the mixing, so I'm in the process of recording a few songs that I can tweak on and get back into it.
I'll post something in a while, would be great to get some comments from the community on what's good and what could be done even better. I know it's a matter of opinions, but every now and the constructive criticism makes you even better.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 8 2018, 09:50 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

I have paired down my gear to the essentials as I found I wasn't really using wads of it. Most of it just sat there taking up space. It's amazing how little gear it really takes to start making music. A laptop, guitar, headphones, pair of monitors, interface and some software. That's about it. The rest is gravy smile.gif I use an hdtv as my main computer screen as it's much easier to see and they have gotten so cheap. A computer screen anywhere near this size would be too much money imho. I don't need more than hd resolution so it works great smile.gif

Look forward to hearing your mixes!Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Aug 8 2018, 06:31 AM) *
Yeah, and to be honest I think it was for the better.
Before, everything was about guitars and gear (and beer) and now I feel I'm in a more happier/balanced place :-)

But it's great to get the essentials up and running again.
What I've missed the most is the mixing, so I'm in the process of recording a few songs that I can tweak on and get back into it.
I'll post something in a while, would be great to get some comments from the community on what's good and what could be done even better. I know it's a matter of opinions, but every now and the constructive criticism makes you even better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 10 2018, 01:06 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 8 2018, 10:50 PM) *
I have paired down my gear to the essentials as I found I wasn't really using wads of it. Most of it just sat there taking up space. It's amazing how little gear it really takes to start making music. A laptop, guitar, headphones, pair of monitors, interface and some software. That's about it. The rest is gravy smile.gif I use an hdtv as my main computer screen as it's much easier to see and they have gotten so cheap. A computer screen anywhere near this size would be too much money imho. I don't need more than hd resolution so it works great smile.gif

Look forward to hearing your mixes!Attached Image

Todd

That's my plan too, just get what I need and make the best of it.
Thanks man, I'm looking forward to hearing them too laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th August 2018 - 08:28 PM