Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3 Different Zendrives
klasaine
post Oct 9 2018, 03:49 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

I rarely do gear demos but I have 3 different Zendrives. An original Alfonso Hermida (black and white) from maybe '08 or '09 and two of Sean's (Lovepedal): a Gold and a Red Dot.

This vid is a little long, I talk too much and I only use a Strat (and only 3 of the pkup selections).
I'm not trying to sell anything. I'm not trying to get any product endorsements. All three are really great ODs - in fact, legendary at this point.
I can say that this is a good representation of "what these ODs sound like in the room with garden variety gear".

Though they're all in the same ballpark - they are definitely different animals.
If you've ever wondered what the difference is (as I did) - give a listen ...

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 9 2018, 05:11 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Oct 9 2018, 04:21 AM
Post #2

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

Very nice, thanks for doing that. Dramatic ending smile.gif. But, you left unanswered the inevitable question: which one made your amp sound like RF's Dumble? smile.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Oct 9 2018, 04:58 AM
Post #3

Ha, ha! Yes, well I have an answer for that ... sort of.
The original and the Red Dot.
The original one for the lead/single line tone and the Red for 'out front', big rhythm tone.

*For the record - I used to see RF play almost every weekend in a small club (mid 80s, pre Blue Line). He used one or sometimes two Deluxe Reverbs (of varying vintages) with a Roland stereo delay SDE-3000 and either a 335 or his RF model Fender. He sounded exactly like Robben Ford ... every time.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 9 2018, 07:28 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Oct 9 2018, 07:20 AM
Post #4

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

Cool demo, you should do more of these!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Oct 9 2018, 09:55 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Thanks! I enjoyed watching, didn't feel that long smile.gif First of all; also got my attention was the pedal-board, DIY Rock ‘n’ Roll biggrin.gif

The pedal I've read online but never actually payed attention listening it, thought it could be a really nice low-gain alternative to a fulltone OCD. They all sounded sweat but the more gainy two had a qualities (though yeah they do sound very different) that had me think would sound huge in dense arranged music.

Also noticed the amp wasn't mic.ed (?) but sounded fine from camera mic. , I don't remember watching 1 video which was recorded like that where the amps didn't sound too roomy or muffled+your voice came through fine too. Maybe its the room, hard to say but considering all the setup youtubers do before shooting a video you're very lucky to have such comfort.

I think ones who care more for the music than the production of video (or fame) makes the best gear video's, at-least for more elderly viewers. Even though you don't seem to have a serious target (be it money, audience number,gear endorsement etc.) I'd say consider making more cause its not like there has to be too much done to make it a better video.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 9 2018, 09:58 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Oct 9 2018, 02:49 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I never mic the amp in any of the videos I post whether they are just 'playing' vids or gear demos. Just camera mic. Either my phone or in this case, the built-in mics on the Zoom Q2N (Stereo SDCs). My room has a low ceiling and is pretty 'dead'. I also have the luxury of being able to play at a decent volume level during the day.

*I love all the high-end production value gear demos that a lot of the guys do: Rabea, Pete Thorn, Andy (at Reverb), Mike Hermans, the Pedal Show guys, Ola, Todd here at GMC, etc. but I have absolutely no desire or time to actually make it a job. I have a lot of experience recording guitar and I can say that much of what I hear in many, if not most gear demos, is colored - both good and bad - by recording technique. The gear used to record - whether it be mics/pres or DI, USB, or however one gets the sound into the DAW, onto the hard drive and eventually on to a youtube video - affects the sound of the gear one is demoing.
Playing technique is another one. I'm not even talking about good or bad - just different. I use heavy strings, higher action and heavy picks with a semi heavy pick attack and I play a lot of legato lines. I always sound like me. *That's a video I should do: "why your gear doesn't matter".

As I mentioned in the first post; what you hear in that vid is exactly what the guitar sounds like in the room.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 9 2018, 03:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 9 2018, 09:06 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

You bring up a good point here. I have been doing demos a while now and it can turn in to serious work. Multiple cameras, multiple mics, editing the video, matching all the audio in the daw, turning it in to one cogent video with audio. It can be a real pull on ones time.

I've done some quickie demos myself and I gotta say they are liberating. I did one on the Loudster amp just using my iphone. Folks seemed to like it just fine. I did another with hd handy cam and my daw and honestly the results were a bit colored as it was going through an sm57 which often makes things sound more like that mic than like the gear itself. Folks complain that Olas videos all sound the same. It's partly because he always uses the same guitar cab/same mic, usually his Satan head as the amp and its him doing the playing. So it always sound like ola no matter what distortion pedal he is using. It just goes to show that tone really is in the fingers. A player tends to sound like himself. I"m no exception. Palm mute everything, lots of squeals, muted legato runs, brisk picking. Once a player develops their own style, it really is a challenge not to sound like themselves imho.
Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 9 2018, 09:49 AM) *
Thanks for the positive feedback.

I never mic the amp in any of the videos I post whether they are just 'playing' vids or gear demos. Just camera mic. Either my phone or in this case, the built-in mics on the Zoom Q2N (Stereo SDCs). My room has a low ceiling and is pretty 'dead'. I also have the luxury of being able to play at a decent volume level during the day.

*I love all the high-end production value gear demos that a lot of the guys do: Rabea, Pete Thorn, Andy (at Reverb), Mike Hermans, the Pedal Show guys, Ola, Todd here at GMC, etc. but I have absolutely no desire or time to actually make it a job. I have a lot of experience recording guitar and I can say that much of what I hear in many, if not most gear demos, is colored - both good and bad - by recording technique. The gear used to record - whether it be mics/pres or DI, USB, or however one gets the sound into the DAW, onto the hard drive and eventually on to a youtube video - affects the sound of the gear one is demoing.
Playing technique is another one. I'm not even talking about good or bad - just different. I use heavy strings, higher action and heavy picks with a semi heavy pick attack and I play a lot of legato lines. I always sound like me. *That's a video I should do: "why your gear doesn't matter".

As I mentioned in the first post; what you hear in that vid is exactly what the guitar sounds like in the room.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Oct 11 2018, 03:07 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 9 2018, 01:06 PM) *
I've done some quickie demos myself and I gotta say they are liberating. I did one on the Loudster amp just using my iphone. Folks seemed to like it just fine.

Once a player develops their own style, it really is a challenge not to sound like themselves imho.
Todd

Yeah, the most traction I've ever gotten (via social media) has almost always been the 60 sec phone camera Instagram vids.
Like this one (also here on YT) ...

*I'm seriously thinking about doing a vid that pits a Boss DS-1 against one of my boutique ODs.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2018 - 02:31 AM