Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Allocating Practice Time?
post Aug 9 2007, 07:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.378

Hey guys. I've just started really cracking down with the hours a day I practice. My schedule can get pretty hectic, but I usually try to get in at least 3 hours of practice a day. That being said, I usually cover a very wide range of techniques whenever I practice and as a result, I think I may be spreading myself out too much. A few weeks ago I started practicing Pavel's sweep lessons, and I must say that it feels awesome to know that some time in the near future, I'll be able to start really sweeping well! I'm pretty excited about getting to sweep better, so I've started practicing my sweeping alone for about an hour to an hour and a half, taking up half my practice time. I usually try to learn at least one scale every few days, so my schedule is really getting clutered lately.

So how much practice time do you guys give to individual techniques? Is there such a thing as too much practice for a single technique in a day? And would it be a more efficient use of my practice time to simply practice on a few select techniques as opposed to a broader range?

Any input is welcome, thanks in advance!

IPB Image
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Aug 9 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.260

It all depends on what you already know and what your trying to acheive. smile.gif I'm with you on the sweeping.I still need to improve greatly and i try to devote atleast 30min to it.As far as time spent on each technique?I really dont have a set schedule,i probably should but i dont.I try to practice my sweeps like i said and then i work on technique like trill's double picking ,tapping ect all into my own riffs.I try to practice solo's and shred to improve.I would say after the day is over i have picked up the guitar and played atleast an hour and a half everyday.Going by a set playing schedule is good (i recommend it) but the way mylife goes i dont.Im married 2kids and work late at night.I just play every chance i can.Learn everything you can as soon as you can.As time goes by if your still playing the same old thing you get tired of it and less motivated.Try to find other's to jam with aswell,no metronome will give you the skills of playing with another musician like doing it for real. smile.gif Always strive to be better and always set yourself up with music thats going to make you better not just good.Go for it all dont settle for any less.Thanks about all the advice i can say.

My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2016 - 08:36 AM