> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Metal Essentials - Riffs #2, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
9 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

Siinthd
post Oct 20 2018, 06:50 PM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 23.155

Original lesson: Metal Essentials - Riffs #2 by Darius Wave

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Oct 22 2018, 03:49 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi again mate,

I can see that you are working hard on your rhythm skills, well done mate!!

Your take on this lesson is very good man. I don't notice relevant issues to fix here. You can play all the parts right, clean and clear and your guitar tone fits well with the backing track.

As I've commented in other lessons, you could put some focus on dynamics to make your playing more expressive. I would also like to add that sometimes you tend to start the vibrato too early and that makes the riffing sound a bit nervous. Remember to let the note sound and then start gradually vibrato.

That's all for this one, it's a 9!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 23 2018, 01:48 AM
Post #3

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Nicely done!! You have a very strong palm muting technique and your hand synch is quite good as well. Without a good palm mute, bits like this can get very noisy. Also, with clean hand synchronization, the riff feels powerful and tight. If you didn't have good hand synch, it would make this hard to listen to. There is no way to hide poor technique on something like this but the good news is your technique is spot on and you seem to be having a good time which always adds to the impact of a well played piece!! You've got this one sorted. You are ready for the next one!!
Todd
QUOTE (Siinthd @ Oct 20 2018, 01:50 PM) *

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Oct 23 2018, 07:00 AM
Post #4

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Nice!

Since this is an easier lesson - I would also recommend you use this opportunity to work on your right hand. It is already doing a good job, but you could try to get more attack from it while still remaining as relaxed as possible.

Also, Darius' sound seems to have more top sparkle, and seems more dynamic (probably with less gain). You could also try to get closer to that.

Keep up the good work, you get a 9 from me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Oct 24 2018, 08:08 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

Hey there. This is a very nice take. Some little timing issues in general but for good sides - nice noise muting/clean playing.
From this perspective I can see you have a quite long fingers so maybe that's why combined with fish eye view, it looked kind of odd in another of your vidoes. I would still recommend to rethink getting rid of unwanted hand tensions like fingers rolled inside the palm but of course I do realize that from the other perspective there are players who do this as well....but maybe they hand nobody to tell them it's not necessary when they started playing so being used to so many years of this "grip" it's hard to fix it. Just thinking out loud...subjectively.

Now there is another thing that may give me more visual doubts rather than audio ones. Your right hand looks like it's more of a pick slant rather than strum, when you play powerchords. I actually use a medium strength strum for these moments (0:32 for example). It feels a little more energetic and improves the emotional connection between what you hear and how you play it. Slanting is more risku to give "sweep feel" and have minimal delay between notes of powerchord. I would simply involve more wrist motion to it...just like playing chords on acoustic guitar.

The reason things are this way is that many of "plug and play" amp presets have boosted treble in front of the drive channel. It's nothign else as cheating the amp that we play with more attack. It makes the player use less strangth because the amp is less demanding. If you would start from playing straigth in the amps drive...like Mesa DR, you would learn hom much strength it takes to get just the right amount of attack in your tone without boosting treble. I'm not sure if you play in a band or have experienced listening to a treble boosted amp in a live conditions but generally the treble is quite harsh and some people pass on it for the sake of warmer tone. Then the hand comes to action to compensate it....less gain and treble, more strength from the hand. The reason I'm writting this is not the point your at this moment be the point you can get to if you keep doing what you do. These are problems to be understood in the future but should be worked out since the very beginning. Try to experiment with more muddy, less "easy playing" drive to make shure you can get the same tone using only your hand and just the right amount of gain. You'll see how much of a satisfacion it is smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
post Oct 25 2018, 12:10 PM
Post #6

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

Pass: 8.75

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2019 - 02:49 PM