Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vai Released A Book
klasaine
post Jan 29 2019, 06:10 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Most 'classical' guitar music includes some type of fingering suggestions. You will find many differences in different editions of the same piece. And of course, it's only a suggestion.
As noted in Storm's example above, the roman numerals are the fret position, the circled numbers are the strings and the plain numbers are the fingers.

With the Vai thing, at least the linear stuff, he doesn't want you to be limited to where you can play it.
He does have chord diagrams in his book. The boxes/grids with dots.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jan 29 2019, 06:16 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 29 2019, 05:00 PM) *
As I see it though, it indicates fret numbers. And it could possibly be enough to determine string choice in standard notation only (no tabs shown). I am too tired to think that through though.

Also, I don't think I have seen this used with only standard notation and no tabs shown. I am struggling to find any other examples than the ones I showed above. I have seen it relatively often in relation to tabs with standard notation above it.

We call it positions cause fret numbers in that case simply means "-do this on this area of the fretboard". Logic is if one knows all the notes on the guitar fluently, giving the position (fret number based on index finger when indicating area) would be enough. But in tab, we must admit we have to at-least think a bit what the note is no matter how fast we read tab.

I've never seen tab on classical guitar when I was a kid trying to learn it. Nowadays classical music can be found with tab but I don't think often.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jan 29 2019, 06:38 PM
Post #23

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 29 2019, 06:16 PM) *
We call it positions cause fret numbers in that case simply means "-do this on this area of the fretboard". Logic is if one knows all the notes on the guitar fluently, giving the position (fret number based on index finger when indicating area) would be enough. But in tab, we must admit we have to at-least think a bit what the note is no matter how fast we read tab.

I've never seen tab on classical guitar when I was a kid trying to learn it. Nowadays classical music can be found with tab but I don't think often.

I don't think I get your last point on the tabs. We have to think what the note is? Same as for sheet music, I would say? Sheet music shows a dot (with varying indications), and a tab shows a number. With a tab I can quite easily (given that I know the tuning too!) say that a 3 on the A string is a C note. If I have standard notation above it, such as guitar pro or the example from last page, it gives clearer information, I would say. But I was not raised on classical guitar and tablature has been present for the majority of my guitar playing.

As for classical guitar tabs, I think there are more and more. Ultimate-guitar is filled with them for Guitar Pro.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 29 2019, 06:10 PM) *
Most 'classical' guitar music includes some type of fingering suggestions. You will find many differences in different editions of the same piece. And of course, it's only a suggestion.
As noted in Storm's example above, the roman numerals are the fret position, the circled numbers are the strings and the plain numbers are the fingers.

With the Vai thing, at least the linear stuff, he doesn't want you to be limited to where you can play it.
He does have chord diagrams in his book. The boxes/grids with dots.

Yep, as said, I know about fingering suggestions. I have less so seen string markings.

--------------------
For some prog metal made by yours truly, check out:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/storm-linnebjerg-a-celestial-voyage-full-demo

And subscribe to my Youtube Channel and Instagram here! and here!
...and my Twitch:HERE!

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jan 29 2019, 07:06 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 29 2019, 05:38 PM) *

Specially when thinking like a beginner, when reading tab our inner voice is the number and we give the notes name only when somehow needed in the learning process.

With notation its always the notes name so in classical guitar education you probably won't find exercises thats meant to find note names faster as each song one evolves with already covers that exercise in it. But with tab, the web is full of suggestion and exercises.

Keep in mind one is being potentially prepared for academic education even at early age with standard notation so thats another benefit. Guitar players also are given strict solfeggio, harmony etc. lessons in college to further develop their hearing and playing as a musician where standard notation is used.

Classical guitarist prefer official releases as un-official like UG etc. may have mistakes in it. Thats why (notation book) publishing companies for classical music are the rare group that hasn't been affected much by internet. They give great care to avoid mistakes before printing.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jan 29 2019, 07:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jan 29 2019, 07:34 PM
Post #25

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 29 2019, 07:06 PM) *
Specially when thinking like a beginner, when reading tab our inner voice is the number and we give the notes name only when somehow needed in the learning process.

With notation its always the notes name so in classical guitar education you probably won't find exercises thats meant to find note names faster as each song one evolves with already covers that exercise in it. But with tab, the web is full of suggestion and exercises.

Keep in mind one is being potentially prepared for academic education even at early age with standard notation so thats another benefit. Guitar players also are given strict solfeggio, harmony etc. lessons in college to further develop their hearing and playing as a musician where standard notation is used.

Classical guitarist prefer official releases as un-official like UG etc. may have mistakes in it. Thats why (notation book) publishing companies for classical music are the rare group that hasn't been affected much by internet. They give great care to avoid mistakes before printing.

Oh, I agree on official classical music guitar books being standard notation and probably rightly so. Your post before just said "tabs for classical music" though.

On the first sentiment I do somewhat agree as well. I never did much exercise in "finding note names faster" etc., after a relatively short while it kind of clicked how things were built up on the guitar - admittedly less so muscle memory wise, and if you throw something relatively difficult at me I will still have to think of course. I think what I am pointed towards is that learning a certain dot as C, as opposed to learning "3" (on A) is C does not seem that vastly different to me. Again, as said, I do prefer the combination when writing notation for more modern stuff, which I would include Vai into, but maybe not his theory book. To me it creates a "cleaner" approachable page in some way, though of course taking up more space as a downside.

Random example below this. It's obviously not the best example and there are still things to fix (I haven't gone through it yet!). In some even more accurate tabs you will see fret position and fingering too of course. To me at least it seems easier to approach and learn from:

Attached Image

It is from this. It looks better in GP7, but I don't know if you have that on your computer, or even GP5.

Attached File  When_it_Rains.gp5 ( 59.47K ) Number of downloads: 9

But yes, I grew up mainly on tabs. Maybe my view would be different if solely raised on standard notation. Each has its' use I would say. And in other words there are likely good tabs, bad tabs, good standard and bad standard smile.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jan 29 2019, 07:37 PM

--------------------

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/storm-linnebjerg-a-celestial-voyage-full-demo

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jan 29 2019, 07:56 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 29 2019, 06:34 PM) *
But yes, I grew up mainly on tabs. Maybe my view would be different if solely raised on standard notation. Each has its' use I would say. And in other words there are likely good tabs, bad tabs, good standard and bad standard smile.gif

Mine was notation, tab, extreme notation (deal with piano too) and after school to this day usually tab. Oh and there's also movable and fixed C reading which is a whole other topic biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jan 29 2019, 08:15 PM
Post #27

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 29 2019, 07:56 PM) *
Mine was notation, tab, extreme notation (deal with piano too) and after school to this day usually tab. Oh and there's also movable and fixed C reading which is a whole other topic biggrin.gif

Yep, I know about the last one (if you mean movable clef?) as well smile.gif I agree different things are needed in different situations. Whether a better system comes around some day is hard to tell for us, but I guess standard alone and tab+standard is pretty good for us so far smile.gif

In my opinion tab alone of course is not very good. It usually doesn't have much information. Sometimes it has note-length noted above with E (eighth), S (sixteenth) etc., but that is about it.

So, with all that talk about tabs, can the Vai book be bought as PDF? Or be read on a computer in any way? I do like physical books, but I am somewhat interested in knowing if there is a digital copy available for Windows. I see that it is out as an iBook, but I have no idea what that is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jan 29 2019, 08:54 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 29 2019, 07:15 PM) *

Try googleing "movable do", I was classically trained and used fixed while Berklee system uses movable.

I had the passion and warfare book (Not sure if stolen or lost) that was both in tab and notation and yeah having both is usually the best.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th January 2020 - 01:29 AM