> Quick Licks #72 - Single String Alternate Picking And Hand Synch
Todd Simpson
post Mar 23 2019, 07:39 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

This is a great piece to work on to help with HAND SYNCHRONIZATION. It has open string and fretted string notes that are very tightly spaced. There is no gap in which you can hide anything. You don't have to play this lick fast in order to get results. Just make sure it's under control. Palm mute until the very last note. This will get your hand accustomed to palm muting and then lifting at the end to allow for vibrato and what not. This is built for speed though so feel free to push it! The faster you get going, the more critical your hand synch becomes. If your hand synch drifts one little bit, it sticks out like a sore thumb so it's easy to hear when playing.

This lick is in the key of B as it's on the B string smile.gif However, you can switch it to any string you want and use the same fret position once you get used to the lick as written. So have fun!! This may be the first time you may have heard yourself play shockingly fast smile.gif Pick every note and palm mute. keep strict alternate picking. In the notation, you'll see pick notation in the first bar. It just repeats.

Attached File  72FIx.gp5 ( 2.45K ) Number of downloads: 8460

Attached Image

This one is fun and pretty simple to shred once you get used to it so go nuts!!!

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 19 2019, 05:47 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onetabmat
post Mar 29 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #2

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 23.212

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 30 2019, 07:06 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Nice! Well played and very nice on the reversal at the end. You've got this one down. Try this as a solo lick on any open string that matches the key of the backing track, E,A,D,G,B Minor and it will work great as a solo lick. Adding the open string creates a pedal tone that you don't have to fret so fingering 2 notes creates a 3 note per string lick. You are on a Roll!! You just..
LEVELED UP!!! You are still the Highest Ranking GMC Member EVER in Quick Licks. Nice!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Mar 29 2019, 03:55 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 17 2019, 09:14 PM
Post #4

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

Tricky for me this one, I can actually play it quicker picking everything than alternate picking with hammer-ons in between the picks. It's just a matter of getting the co-ordination down wink.gif

I only give these 10-15 minutes per session, this one will take a few days smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 18 2019, 08:08 AM

--------------------
MY CURRENT REVISION FOLDER

[/url]
SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 18 2019, 12:14 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Just pick one note at a time smile.gif Alternating to the open string can be tricky but I think you can nail this one!!

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 17 2019, 04:14 PM) *
Tricky for me this one, I can actually play it quicker picking everything that alternate picking with hammer-ons in between the picks. It's just a matter of getting the co-ordination down wink.gif

I only give these 10-15 minutes per session, this one will take a few days smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 18 2019, 08:07 AM
Post #6

Thanks buddy,

It's just that on the TAB it says just to pick the open string and hammer on the rest. It's hard to do, for me anyway, but a good exercise in coordination wink.gif

If picking all is accepted I'll do it but I will keep the hammer on version as a daily exercise.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

[/url]
SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 19 2019, 05:42 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

After looking at the tab, I noticed that there are NO picking notations at all. I left in a bit from a previous tab in the title which is my fault. Good eye! Since this is an alternate picking drill, I usually put in pick notation for the first bar if it doesn't change. Which is doesn't. It's straight alt picking the entire way. Here is the old tab. I'm going to change it. and put up new tab and a new guitar pro file. I can see how it's confusing with no pick notation. My bad and good eye!!
BAD VERSION:Attached Image

NEW VERSION (The pick notation in the first bar just repeats)
Attached File  72FIx.gp5 ( 2.45K ) Number of downloads: 4

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 18 2019, 03:07 AM) *
Thanks buddy,

It's just that on the TAB it says just to pick the open string and hammer on the rest. It's hard to do, for me anyway, but a good exercise in coordination wink.gif

If picking all is accepted I'll do it but I will keep the hammer on version as a daily exercise.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 19 2019, 05:57 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 19 2019, 11:30 AM
Post #8

Thanks Todd,

It's still a good coordination drill picking only the open strings, try it wink.gif I may even put my pathetic attempt at the end of my alt picking take wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

[/url]
SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 19 2019, 01:55 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Very true!! It's a great way to work ones hammer ons! Try it both ways if you like in the vid!
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 19 2019, 06:30 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

It's still a good coordination drill picking only the open strings, try it wink.gif I may even put my pathetic attempt at the end of my alt picking take wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 19 2019, 09:34 PM
Post #10

Take 1 Sarge.

The alternate hammer ons start at 00:14, I've left all of the mistakes in there. It's fiddly both ways but the alternate hammer ons are hard huh.gif

https://youtu.be/zmbbYs04TG0

--------------------

[/url]
SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 19 2019, 10:33 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Thats it!!! It works as a hammer on lick and as a picking drill. Also, it works on every open string and makes a great warmup. Start on the Low E and work your way up trying it on every string. By the Time you get to the High E, you will be plenty warmed up smile.gif Hopefully not burned out!! This is a great one for working on endurance as well. It can be a bit confusing with the back and forth stuff on a single open string but you seemed to handle it just fine! You really are adapting to these much quicker. Congrats!!!!!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 19 2019, 04:34 PM) *
Take 1 Sarge.

The alternate hammer ons start at 00:14, I've left all of the mistakes in there. It's fiddly both ways but the alternate hammer ons are hard huh.gif

https://youtu.be/zmbbYs04TG0

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 20 2019, 08:09 AM
Post #12

Thanks Todd smile.gif

--------------------

[/url]
SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th January 2020 - 02:32 AM