Modal Chord Progressions
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 14 2007, 12:49 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Modal Chord Progressions

Introduction

In this lesson, we are going to us a little bit of theory to explore building chord sequences around the major modes. The inspiration for this theory lesson came from Dave Wallimans lesson on modal chord progressions. We are going to analyse the chord sequences in use and understand where they came from, and why they work so well as modal progressions.

Chords For Modes

To start the analysis, we are going to use a couple of pieces of theory - how to work out the various modes explained here and here, and how to build chords for a particular scale, here. When we put those two pieces of knowledge together, we can figure out the characteristic chords for each of the major modes. Remember that the Major scale (or Ionian mode) has the following sequence of chords associated with it:

I major, II minor 7, III minor 7, IV major 7, V Dominant 7, VI minor 7, VII diminished

We figure this out by building the scale and then creating triads starting at each degree of the scale (for more info see my lesson here). In this case, we also stacked an additional note on top to get a 7th in some cases. If we do the same again with each mode in turn, we get the following list of characteristic chords:

Attached Image

You probably noticed that the chords moved over 1 slot for each mode, not surpising when you think about how chords are constructed and how the modes relate to each other. This is a pretty useful table as it allows you to very quickly figure out the chords available in any mode to build a modal chord progression.

We are going to build our chord progressions in the key of A, so the next step is to figure out the the degrees of the scale for each mode based on a tonic of A. You should know how to do this from the previous lessons, so for the record they are as follows:

Attached Image

If we couple that with the chord types above, we can figure out the potential chords for each mode:

Attached Image

One thing to bear in mind here is that the list I gave above is only one possible list - you can pick and choose the number of notes you use, and that allows a couple of simple substitutions. The most important thing is that you keep the minor/major type the same. Majors can be interchanged with Major 7ths, minors can be interchanged with minor 7ths, and in a scale that has a b7 for the degree inquestion, a major can be replaced with a 7th.

Ok, now we know the possible chords, lets go and figure out how to build a progression.

Building a Progression

One of the challenges of building a modal chord progression is to really bring out the different feel of the various modes. Without care in chord selection, this character can become obscured. As an example, lets look at Dorian and Phrygian. They are both minor modes because they have flattened 3rds. Both will use a Minor 7th as the tonic chord. If we added for insance a III chord into the mix, but played it as a simple triad, we would use the chord of C Major in both cases. So, although we have 2 different modes, we have an identical chord progression. We can fix this up a little by adding another note on top of our III chord, giving us a a major 7 for Dorian and a Dominant 7 for Phrygian (B vs Bb) - that somewhat redresses the balance but it is a fairly subtle change.

A better way of going about this is to carefully select chords that are characteristic to the mode in question. For example, lets look at a Lydian progression, We will start with A major 7 as our tonic. To cement the lydian we want to emphasize what is different in that mode as compared with others. Lydian is a major mode so it runs the risk of being confused with Ionian and Mixolydian. If we look at the table above, we can see that of these three modes, only Lydian has a major chord in the second degree - Mixolydian and Ionian are both minor in the 2nd degree, so this would be a great chord to use. This makes sense, because we know that Lydian has a sharpened 4th. This same sharpened 4th forms the 3rd of the chord derived from the second degree of the scale. Since this chord would normally be minor in a regular major scale, sharpening its 3rd would make it major. So another way to look at picking distinctive chords is to base them on notes within the scale that are distinctive - it pretty much comes to the same thing.

Another trick we can use to really focus on the modality of the progression, is to keep the bass note sounding on the tonic. This complicates the chords a little as they will all become slash chords, but it really draws attention to where in the scale the chord is rooted, and allows you to concentrate on the tonality of the mode you are working with. As you become more advanced, this trick is less important but is a great way to start out.

The Chords Themselves

Ok, so much for theory - lets look at the exact chords Dave used in his progression, and see what we have. In this section I will be using terminology for the degrees of the scale that is described here.

Ionian

Chords : A, D/A, Amaj7, D/A

A Major and A Major 7th for the tonic, D for the sub-dominant. Similar to the Mixolydian chords, but you could use a Dominant 7 as the tonic in Mixolydian, making this an Ionian progression.

Dorian

Chords : Am7, D7/A, Am7, D7/A

In this progression, the combination of a Minor 7 in the tonic and a D7 in the sub-dominant makes this a uniquely Dorian progression.

Phrygian

Chords: Am, Bb/A, Am, Bb/A

The combination of a Minor tonic and a major Supertonic (or 2nd) is uniquely Phrygian. Also, the distance of one semitone between the Tonic and Supertonic cements this as Phrygian - although this relationship is shared with the Locrian, the chord types are very different.

Lydian

Chords: Amaj7, B, Amaj7, B

A Major Tonic and Supertonic is uniquely Lydian.

Mixolydian

Chords: A7, G, A7, G

A Major Tonic and a major Subtonic/Leading note is uniquely Mixolydian.

Aeolian

Chords : Am, F, Am, F

A minor Tonic coupled with a Major Sub-Mediant is a little ambiguous and could be confused with Phrygian, but there are few if any distinguinguishing combinations for Aeolian, apart from use of the diminished Super-Tonic which makes for a fairly unpleasant chord progression.

Locrian

Chords : Adim, Bbmaj, Dm. Adim

Finally, locrian has a diminished tonic which in itself is unique. The remaing chords serve to cement that relationship.

So there you have it, some ideas on putting together a uniquely modal chord progression.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 14 2007, 04:38 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 14 2007, 12:51 AM
Instructor
Wow! That's a huge lesson Andrew! Good job! Will sure spend some time on it once i finish all these lessons i planned for this month! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 14 2007, 01:46 AM
Instructor
Andrew,you did it again!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 14 2007, 02:02 AM
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 13 2007, 08:46 PM) *
Andrew,you did it again!! biggrin.gif

Oops, did what? Should I stop ???

biggrin.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Aug 14 2007, 04:15 AM
GMC:er
Thanks Andrew. I'm sure I will grasp the theory eventually. Meanwhile you will be my source of reference.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 14 2007, 06:33 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Yay some more scrummy theory to absorb! Andrew i cant thank you enough, you've brought me "From Zero to Hero"- great slogan, wonder where i heard it, must be a cool site...

anyway im giving my first modes theory lesson (based on the scriptures of St. Andrew) to my guitar buddy tomorrow coz he's fed up of me losing him at "dorian" >ofcourse i suggested the site but his internet is constantly down.

Thanks again Andrew, i'm no longer musically illiterate.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 14 2007, 06:54 AM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Aug 14 2007, 01:33 AM) *
Yay some more scrummy theory to absorb! Andrew i cant thank you enough, you've brought me "From Zero to Hero"- great slogan, wonder where i heard it, must be a cool site...

anyway im giving my first modes theory lesson (based on the scriptures of St. Andrew) to my guitar buddy tomorrow coz he's fed up of me losing him at "dorian" >ofcourse i suggested the site but his internet is constantly down.

Thanks again Andrew, i'm no longer musically illiterate.

Cool smile.gif I'm glad you're spreading the word - St. Andrew - I could grow to like that biggrin.gif Wait a minute, I remember from school that St. Andrew was crucified on an X shaped cross ... what are you trying to say???

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 14 2007, 06:58 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 14 2007, 06:54 AM) *
Cool smile.gif I'm glad you're spreading the word - St. Andrew - I could grow to like that biggrin.gif Wait a minute, I remember from school that St. Andrew was crucified on an X shaped cross ... what are you trying to say???

Hey no! your not implying you'll die for our music-theory-sins are you?! We're not that bad are we!?!?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 14 2007, 07:01 AM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Aug 14 2007, 01:58 AM) *
Hey no! your not implying you'll die for our music-theory-sins are you?! We're not that bad are we!?!?

Heck no, I thought you wanted to crucify me for all the nasty theory bits I was coming up with smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Hungus
Aug 14 2007, 02:48 PM
GMC:er
Sweet lesson Andrew, its really helpful smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:07 AM