Quick Licks #87 - The "finger Roll"
Todd Simpson
Jul 6 2019, 05:21 PM
GMC:er
In this Quick Lick, let's look at using the "FINGER ROLL". It's a basic technique, but one that can come in very handy! In this lick, I just roll the third finger in order to hit the same fret traversing two strings. There are many ways too play this type of lick, try playing it this way if possible. Once you get used to it, it works everywhere and is much easier on the hand than trying to finger separately. to wit!!

Attached File  87.gp5 ( 1.69K ) Number of downloads: 11259

Attached Image

Tried and true technique works every time!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Jul 23 2019, 12:34 PM
Learning Roadie

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 24 2019, 07:30 PM
NICE!!! you clearly have the finger roll under control This technique is very handy. It can be used in pentatonic / blues scales to play thing that would otherwise be very awkward to even try. It opens up all kinds of licks. Try it in different places to see what you can do with it. Well done on adding some improv as well!!! keeping drilling and killing!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!!*You remain the TOP DAWG!!! The Highest Ranking Member EVER!
Sarge
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Jul 23 2019, 07:34 AM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 6 2020, 09:17 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 1 Sarge, tried a slightly different lick too.

https://youtu.be/IUGQtLI613E

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 9 2020, 04:00 AM
Bingo! You've gotten much better at these quick licks as time has gone on. They don't seem to stress your hands hardly at all. Which is good to see! Like ken says, it's always a good idea to try to use these in a musical context as soon as possible or you risk losing the lick. I like what you did with the second mod version as well! You got this and you just

LEVELED UP!!!
*You also just graduated to TOP DAWG!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 6 2020, 04:17 PM) *
Take 1 Sarge, tried a slightly different lick too.

https://youtu.be/IUGQtLI613E

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 9 2020, 05:39 AM
Thanks Todd,

I know I don't often do what Ken does and create music with these QLs but they are still definitely helping with coordination and dexterity, they are also training my brain to remember sequences in a shorter time than of late so it's still worth doing them.

I'm currently struggling a little with QL90, it's a stretch that is on my limit for the current stamina level I have but I'll get there wink.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 9 2020, 05:41 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 9 2020, 10:01 PM
90 was a bit crazy to be honest. Feel free to modify if needed to make it work for your hand. if you want to play it as written, that works for me smile.gif These are "quick licks" after all so if you need to mod it to make it work quickly, that is just fine. Bootcamp would be a different matter as they are sequential and build on each, quick licks not so much.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 9 2020, 12:39 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

I know I don't often do what Ken does and create music with these QLs but they are still definitely helping with coordination and dexterity, they are also training my brain to remember sequences in a shorter time than of late so it's still worth doing them.

I'm currently struggling a little with QL90, it's a stretch that is on my limit for the current stamina level I have but I'll get there wink.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 10 2020, 08:24 AM
Thanks Todd,

I'll persevere with 90, it will get there albeit with a slow and steady execution. I'm looking forward to restarting BootCamp, I just want to get the full set of QLs down first wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 18 2020, 05:09 AM
I hear ya!! I am looking forward to seeing you rip through Bootcamp with all of your new KILL SKILLS from Quick Licks!! I think you are more prepared now than you ever have been.
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 10 2020, 03:24 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

I'll persevere with 90, it will get there albeit with a slow and steady execution. I'm looking forward to restarting BootCamp, I just want to get the full set of QLs down first wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:19 PM