Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gt-8?
Xranthoius
post Aug 14 2007, 10:48 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.897

Well I of course have heard about it before, but i just looked at all it can do, and it seems endless!!! If i do get one of these, will i need any other pedal? biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kethcup
post Aug 14 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2.115

Boss GT-8?

I have a Boss GT-6 and I really like it. And no... you won't need another pedal! smile.gif

--------------------

Ketchup

Ibanez Prestige S2170 Electric Guitar
Ibanez Prestige S1620 Electric Guitar
Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar
Jackson Kelly Professional

Boss GT-6 Guitar Floor Processor
Sonar6 Studio Edition

M-Audio BX5-a Studio Monitors

Marshall VS65R Combo Amp

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Aug 14 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #3

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

I guy here in my city was buying one - and i strongly suggested him NOT to buy one! Well he did buy it anyway - and a week later he was selling it because it sucked - especially fol live playing! It has totally awful distortion - at least what i heard in the club when he was playing was very bad.

I learned from my own experience that these huge multiFX are only good for room playing.

Before you buy it - spend some time trying it out!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Hemlok
post Aug 14 2007, 05:29 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.286

I have a GT-6, while it is good, I would prefer to have each fx as a separate pedal. It was annoying me, sometimes its just hard to find a nice clean sound, or you just get a distorted mush. I have not played around with it too much. I know Opeth used to use the GT-6 and still do, they also now use the GT-8, unsure if they use it live or not.

But if you can't afford to buy all your fx pedals separate, and find a cheap secondhand GT-8, go for it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Aug 14 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #5

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

I have and use a GT8 for recording (floor model rather than the more expensive GT8 pro). It's a high quality unit and for a modeller does it job well. What I found is that you need to spend some time writing and setting up your own patches. COSM (the modelling technology Roland use) is good but the presets can be improved on . Whether or not it sucks live, well I haven't used mine live so not sure. I do know though that I take mine direct into my mixer and not into an amp. I haven't found any multi-effects unit that I like fed into an amp whether in line or on the fx loop. At the end of the day I still use pedals as I don't think modellers are, as yet, as good as a good tube amp. What the GT8 is good at is providing a lot of different amps and effects in a relatively small package with a digital signal output.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
post Aug 17 2007, 04:39 AM
Post #6

does the boss have a chromatic tuner in the gt-8?

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Hardtail
post Aug 17 2007, 04:46 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1.967

All I have to say is Analog will sound better than digital the majority of the time. People buy FX pedals or machines that have a gazillion settings on them and they end up only using 2 or 3. But hey, I'm old-school when it comes to that.

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Aug 17 2007, 06:31 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Xranthoius @ Aug 16 2007, 09:39 PM) *
does the boss have a chromatic tuner in the gt-8?

Yes the GT8 has an on-board tuner - I've never used it but that's only as I'm too used to a pitch fork and tuning by harmonics.

BTW agree with Hardtail that analogue is better generally for tone but we buy multi-effects for lots of different reasons - cost per effect, total size/floor space, versatility, convenience, perceived ease of use, advertising, fashion, endorsement, because 'my mate has one' and so on. Major reason why I use one is the digital out so that I can go AD into an RME card or via my desk. Just on cost grounds - the cost of the GT8 is about the same as just 3 of my pedals - for anyone starting out a multi does ultimately offer good value for money. But with any effect, multi or otherwise, you need to get to know the unit and make your own patches settings. Just relying on the 100 or so factory sounds is a bit of a waste.

Have to admit that I have and use both a tube amp (Matchless Lightning) and a tranny (Roland JC) much more than the GT8 - I'm old school as well (most of the time wink.gif ).

Of the multi-effects I'd say the GT8 is one of the better ones.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
post Aug 17 2007, 06:38 AM
Post #9

hmm... well yea idk anymore i think im going to listen to pavel and back off for awhile cuz hes GOD tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Aug 17 2007, 07:03 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Best way, if you can, demo one. As with guitars, amps and so on hands-on is the best way so you can actually hear and also find out if the gear is right for you. Subjective opinion is great but 1st hand is better.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
post Sep 9 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.697

Okay maybe im confuzed then.. I am also looking at a multi effects .. my reason is simple... in a song im writing called Collision.. In the intro i use a mixture of overdrive ( reverb and Tremelo) Then during the main rifs i use Phaser and then for solos i use a phaser overdrive mix then theres a slower part where i just use Reverb and at the end i exit with tap echo and phaser... now.. that wud be expensive to buy each pedal seperate.. so would a Multi be better for this?

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
kethcup
post Sep 10 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 2.115

As a personal owner of the GT-6, I have to say that I really dig it.

I can agree with most on here that the factory presets aren't always the best but I think that Boss is just trying to capture a wide audience when setting those. Besides, why use the factory presets when you can make your own! Having your own sound is the whole point, right! smile.gif

As far as making my own sound, I made a great distortion patch the other day - really heavy and great tone. I have to admit that I was surprised to read that it has 'awful distortion'. There are about 8-10 different types of distortions. If you can't fine tune one of those then... well I dunno. Maybe it's beyond the unit?

The unit has a lot of potential if you just take the time to use its features. There are quite a few effects and within each effect there are quite a few settings to that effect. It may seem overkill at first, but once you get familiar with it, it's really nice having all of the effects at your disposal.

As far as playing live, I prefer having an all in one unit because it's easier to manage - contrary to what everyone else is saying. I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

Anyway, if you go with the GT-6 or GT-8 I don't think you'll be too dissapointed. ...And yes, it does have a chromatic tuner. I use it all the time and it works great!

This post has been edited by kethcup: Sep 10 2007, 12:14 AM

--------------------

Ketchup

Ibanez Prestige S2170 Electric Guitar
Ibanez Prestige S1620 Electric Guitar
Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar
Jackson Kelly Professional

Boss GT-6 Guitar Floor Processor
Sonar6 Studio Edition

M-Audio BX5-a Studio Monitors

Marshall VS65R Combo Amp

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
post Sep 10 2007, 05:24 AM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2.484

I think is a good pedal, it have a lot of effects but the distortions are not very good.
But also I think that is a good multiefects with a good price smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Sep 10 2007, 05:41 AM
Post #14

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (Hardtail @ Aug 17 2007, 05:46 AM) *
All I have to say is Analog will sound better than digital the majority of the time. People buy FX pedals or machines that have a gazillion settings on them and they end up only using 2 or 3. But hey, I'm old-school when it comes to that.

Hardtail

+1 on that. My own experience too, even if you have 10,000 sounds at your fingertips you'll end up using a couple.

QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Sep 10 2007, 12:37 AM) *
Okay maybe im confuzed then.. I am also looking at a multi effects .. my reason is simple... in a song im writing called Collision.. In the intro i use a mixture of overdrive ( reverb and Tremelo) Then during the main rifs i use Phaser and then for solos i use a phaser overdrive mix then theres a slower part where i just use Reverb and at the end i exit with tap echo and phaser... now.. that wud be expensive to buy each pedal seperate.. so would a Multi be better for this?

If you record into a sequencer you could add effects afterwards.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 03:10 AM