Effects Patch Direction Question
Phil66
Jun 17 2020, 09:03 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks, this is one of those things that doesn't really matter but why is the input on the right and the output on the left on stomp boxes? It's always seemed counterintuitive to me because your pedal chain reads from right to left whereas most western countries read (text) left to right.

Who decided what is now the standard, and what was their reasoning?

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 17 2020, 09:03 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
</div>[color="#000000"][/color

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 17 2020, 10:11 PM
GMC:er
I don't know but not all follow that convention.
Most famously, the Dallas/Arbiter 'Fuzz Face' ...

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 17 2020, 10:22 PM
Yeah some of the older ones don't but modern ones seem to follow the right to left convention.

I was hoping you Mr Ken would have the answer wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 18 2020, 08:41 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 18 2020, 02:07 AM
Right handed bias I guess. Most players are right handed.
You stand or sit in front of your pedal board the back end of your guitar (where the jack is) is closest to the right side of your first pedal. If it went left to right, the cable would have a tendency to drape across the board and over your pedals.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 18 2020, 02:49 AM
That would be my guess too..Even though we read left to right, we patch pedals right to left smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 17 2020, 09:07 PM) *
Right handed bias I guess. Most players are right handed.
You stand or sit in front of your pedal board the back end of your guitar (where the jack is) is closest to the right side of your first pedal. If it went left to right, the cable would have a tendency to drape across the board and over your pedals.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 18 2020, 08:07 AM
Learning Roadie
Yep Output jack on the right of right handed guitars, mean that the guitar cable isn't crossing in front of you to get to the first pedal.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

PosterBoy's Bootcamp with Todd

Gear
Ibanez Rg770FM
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335
Ax8
Axe Fx Ultra - GCP Pro

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 18 2020, 08:16 AM
I hadn't thought of that, the most pedals I ever had at one time was three, distortion, wah and chorus, I think one of them had in/out at the rear.

I guess using multi fx and software has made me blind to it, in the Boss GT and Helix software and the plugins that I've used, your chain is left to right so when I watched the video in my beginners guide to effects thread and he set up a chain, it jumped out at me.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 18 2020, 09:05 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th July 2020 - 05:56 PM