Worst Idea In Pedal Boards:?
Todd Simpson
Jun 19 2020, 04:52 AM
GMC:er
I just saw this and it looked cool til I realized that the result was each pedal takes up about twice the room on a board.
In a time when half width pedals are all over the place, and you can use THU on your PHONE to pick as many
pedals as you like, this seems like going in the wrong direction to me. It's cool that you can swap out bits
inside your pedals, but those huge baseplates are a bit of a deal killer for me. I don't know. What do you think?
If I was gonna buy a mod pedal, I'd just buy a mod pedal I think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 19 2020, 04:57 AM
Here's what I think ...
No.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 19 2020, 05:35 PM
That about sums it up smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 18 2020, 11:57 PM) *
Here's what I think ...
No.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 21 2020, 10:15 PM
GMC Founder
I think the concept is good. I personally totally gave up creating a pedal board hum free without signal degradation - I think you need lots of engineering skills to achieve that. And as soon as you add another pedal to the board your problems might multiply.

So I went digital for many years, but now I start to realise analog will sound different from playing a sound sample (ie Kemper). I still don't feel like going analog though, simply because of the amazing hassle putting together a pedal board.

So my questions would be

* cost in Europe

* does it really solve the typical problems with a pedal board, some of which I mentioned.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 22 2020, 03:22 PM
Good question. It just seems like far more trouble than it's worth IMHO.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 21 2020, 05:15 PM) *
I think the concept is good. I personally totally gave up creating a pedal board hum free without signal degradation - I think you need lots of engineering skills to achieve that. And as soon as you add another pedal to the board your problems might multiply.

So I went digital for many years, but now I start to realise analog will sound different from playing a sound sample (ie Kemper). I still don't feel like going analog though, simply because of the amazing hassle putting together a pedal board.

So my questions would be

* cost in Europe

* does it really solve the typical problems with a pedal board, some of which I mentioned.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 22 2020, 08:26 PM
Learning Roadie
I think it's a terrible approach with the likes of some decent loopers out there already

--------------------
My SoundCloud

PosterBoy's Bootcamp with Todd

Gear
Ibanez Rg770FM
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335
Ax8
Axe Fx Ultra - GCP Pro

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 22 2020, 08:58 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 22 2020, 12:26 PM) *
I think it's a terrible approach with the likes of some decent loopers out there already

Yes, this ^^^ ...

There are a ton of looping/switching options for your pedal board that work great and don't take up much space.
Making something 'bigger' at this point is not a selling point.

*I've been using analog pedal boards for ages and yes, getting 6 or more pedals quieter and w/o signal degradation is always an issue but it's not insurmountable even without looper/switchers.
In my experience, both with my own pedals and in helping other players sort out their noise issues, where I find the most problems is in the cabling and the need for just one pedal that has a really 'good' quality buffer in it.
1) Cabling between the pedals - use high quality patch cables and preferably of the same brand and grade. This simple fix can take care of a lot of noise issues.
2) I personally find that one really good buffer somewhere in the chain helps keep the signal robust and as close as you'll ever get to "straight in" without using a looper/switcher.

I like two particular pedals, they both happen to be 'clean' boosts, that have IMO really great buffering. They are not true bypass. You don't want a TPB pedal as a buffer (obviously).
The Xotic 'Super Sweet' boost.
The Durham 'Sex Drive'.

Even when switched off, the in-line buffers in those pedals keep the signal present and full.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 22 2020, 10:45 PM
GMC Founder
Cool tips Ken,

Yeah for me the issue was likely on the user end. When I attempted an analog pedalboard last time I didn't truly believe in what I was doing - and I still don't really see how you could do lots of gain stacking / compressing without smart (digital!) noise gating.

I did have several Boss pedals in my chain which supposedly all had (decent?) buffers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 23 2020, 01:16 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 22 2020, 02:45 PM) *
Cool tips Ken,

Yeah for me the issue was likely on the user end. When I attempted an analog pedalboard last time I didn't truly believe in what I was doing - and I still don't really see how you could do lots of gain stacking / compressing without smart (digital!) noise gating.

I did have several Boss pedals in my chain which supposedly all had (decent?) buffers.

Boss pedals have an 'acceptable' buffer in them but you don't want to use more than three and definitely IMO not right next to each other. It used to be that the tuner had a different and better quality buffer than the effects pedals but I don't know if that's the case anymore.

*One of the reasons there is so much hype around a Klon pedal is that the buffer inside is really great. Most players who use a Klon have it set with no or barely any gain, the volume at or just above unity and the presence control set as flat as it can get (real klons have a slight mid boost). They use it as a buffer/line driver and maybe as a slight solo boost. The two I mentioned (Sex Drive and Super Sweet) are generally used the same way. The Sex Drive is really cool because it has two switchable (light) compression settings.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 23 2020, 04:26 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 23 2020, 06:52 PM
It's sorta sad when you see a newbie with 10 boss pedals on their board and they have no idea its getting worse witih each connection. I was one of those guys in the old days smile.gif Live and learn. Thankfully with so many good boutique builders these days, it's less of a problem, and with really good multi fx it's no problem at all. Still, nothing so under rated as a good buffer smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 22 2020, 08:16 PM) *
Boss pedals have an 'acceptable' buffer in them but you don't want to use more than three and definitely IMO not right next to each other. It used to be that the tuner had a different and better quality buffer than the effects pedals but I don't know if that's the case anymore.

*One of the reasons there is so much hype around a Klon pedal is that the buffer inside is really great. Most players who use a Klon have it set with no or barely any gain, the volume at or just above unity and the presence control set as flat as it can get (real klons have a slight mid boost). They use it as a buffer/line driver and maybe as a slight solo boost. The two I mentioned (Sex Drive and Super Sweet) are generally used the same way. The Sex Drive is really cool because it has two switchable (light) compression settings.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 23 2020, 10:44 PM
GMC Founder
I have a boss tuner, delay and noise gate.

I def should go by myself a bunch of nice analog pedals but I don't feel like it.. I am not quite there yet.

I would probably start by looking for some powerful dual pedal that can give different timbres of distortion. But I have lots of research to do first.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 23 2020, 11:25 PM
Tuner first, Delay last (or before a reverb) and forget about the noise gate.
Just from some of the stuff I hear you play, you'd probably like this dual OD pedal ...
https://www.wamplerpedals.com/products/dist...le-dual-fusion/

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 24 2020, 08:56 AM
GMC Founder
Yeah that Dual Fusion pedal sound absolutely amazing when Tom plays it!

I haven't quite decided how to move forward with my tonal quest, so right I am mostly playing unamplified. And then I use whatever gets the job done when it's time to record.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 26 2020, 12:14 AM
Good call on that DUAL FUSION imho. It's a killer pedal. Tons of tone in one box. it's almost custom built for KRIS style of play!

78498']
Tuner first, Delay last (or before a reverb) and forget about the noise gate.
Just from some of the stuff I hear you play, you'd probably like this dual OD pedal ...
https://www.wamplerpedals.com/products/dist...le-dual-fusion/
[/quote]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th July 2020 - 06:05 PM