Onedrive Auto Sign In, how do I stop it?
Phil66
Jul 15 2020, 07:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I'm taking my main laptop away with me for two weeks, I know how to stop OneDrive from starting automatically when starting windows but it's not what I want, I want it to ask me every time to log in. The reason is, should my laptop get stolen, I don't want my files to be accessed, I'm going to put a lot of stuff as "on-demand" ie, it's on the cloud until I need it and stays there when being used even with editing.

Anyone know how to do it? I'm probably being a numpty but I can't see how, nor can I find it on Google.

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
</div>[color="#000000"][/color

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 16 2020, 01:28 AM
GMC:er
Isn't it integrated in to the windows password system? same password as your computer login or is it different? If you are using a main password, to just get in to windows, you dont have to worry about one drive smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 15 2020, 02:48 PM) *
Hello folks,

I'm taking my main laptop away with me for two weeks, I know how to stop OneDrive from starting automatically when starting windows but it's not what I want, I want it to ask me every time to log in. The reason is, should my laptop get stolen, I don't want my files to be accessed, I'm going to put a lot of stuff as "on-demand" ie, it's on the cloud until I need it and stays there when being used even with editing.

Anyone know how to do it? I'm probably being a numpty but I can't see how, nor can I find it on Google.

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bjorn218
Jul 16 2020, 05:42 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 15 2020, 06:28 PM) *
Isn't it integrated in to the windows password system? same password as your computer login or is it different? If you are using a main password, to just get in to windows, you dont have to worry about one drive smile.gif

Right click the icon in the Taskbar > Settings > click the Settings Tab > Uncheck Start One Drive automatically when I sign into Windows > click OK. This should force the app to have you love in each time.

Just make sure to shut down One Drive when you aren’t using it abroad otherwise it will stay running.

--------------------
The question is not who is going to let me, it’s who is going to stop me!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 16 2020, 06:34 AM
QUOTE (Bjorn218 @ Jul 16 2020, 05:42 AM) *
Right click the icon in the Taskbar > Settings > click the Settings Tab > Uncheck Start One Drive automatically when I sign into Windows > click OK. This should force the app to have you love in each time.

Just make sure to shut down One Drive when you aren’t using it abroad otherwise it will stay running.

Yeah I can do that but you just have to click one drive icon and it opens and signs in.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 16 2020, 01:28 AM) *

I thought about that but I'm not sure that if someone took the hard drive out and hooked it up as an external, would they be able to click the one drive icon and it open and log in? I'm really not sure.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 17 2020, 01:35 AM
I'd say at that point, you need to encrypt the onedrive folder to be honest. That way it wont' slow down the entire system. You can use windows bit locker if you've got the right version of windows or any encryption application you want if your not using the correct version of windows. That way, even if they pull the drive and want to go file by file, they can't see what's in the one drive.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 16 2020, 01:34 AM) *
Yeah I can do that but you just have to click one drive icon and it opens and signs in.

I thought about that but I'm not sure that if someone took the hard drive out and hooked it up as an external, would they be able to click the one drive icon and it open and log in? I'm really not sure.

+Quote Post
Bjorn218
Jul 19 2020, 05:06 AM
https://thegeekpage.com/sign-sign-unlink-on...ive-windows-10/

--------------------
The question is not who is going to let me, it’s who is going to stop me!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 19 2020, 08:30 AM
Thanks Bjorn,

I know about unlinking but didn't think of it. I'll experiment with it once I'm back home. As I'm using my laptop away from home and using 4g mifi router I've been thinking of keeping my files on the hard drive rather than on demand, in this case the encryption would be better than using my data allowance.

If I do that then the syncing would take a long time and use up my 30gb allowance, I guess I could pay the extra £8 for unlimited but I'd be syncing a couple of times a day.

I've just though of another method, I could unlink and use a Web browser to log into the account and just get what I need. I know that any office files can be edited in the browser because when you open them in one drive online the relative online Office program opens them up and saves directly into OneDrive online. If I want a Reaper project I could just pull that down and use it and save back to OneDrive, likewise a new one could be created locally and I can drag and drop into the folder online, (I don't know if it would keep it when I relink the laptop once home though, but dont knowhow that works). But my Reaper projects aren't sensitive data anyway so I could save a copy to my HD to ee what happens, that way I've still got the file if it doesn't sync it when relinking.

Thanks for taking the time to look Bjorn, I appreciate it.

Cheers

Start safe

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 19 2020, 08:34 AM
Glad you got an answer smile.gif It was all I could do the entire time to say "GET A MAC" smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 19 2020, 03:30 AM) *
Thanks Bjorn,

I know about unlinking but didn't think of it. I'll experiment with it once I'm back home. As I'm using my laptop away from home and using 4g mifi router I've been thinking of keeping my files on the hard drive rather than on demand, in this case the encryption would be better than using my data allowance.

If I do that then the syncing would take a long time and use up my 30gb allowance, I guess I could pay the extra £8 for unlimited but I'd be syncing a couple of times a day.

I've just though of another method, I could unlink and use a Web browser to log into the account and just get what I need. I know that any office files can be edited in the browser because when you open them in one drive online the relative online Office program opens them up and saves directly into OneDrive online. If I want a Reaper project I could just pull that down and use it and save back to OneDrive, likewise a new one could be created locally and I can drag and drop into the folder online, (I don't know if it would keep it when I relink the laptop once home though, but dont knowhow that works). But my Reaper projects aren't sensitive data anyway so I could save a copy to my HD to ee what happens, that way I've still got the file if it doesn't sync it when relinking.

Thanks for taking the time to look Bjorn, I appreciate it.

Cheers

Start safe

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 19 2020, 06:00 PM
I think the encryption might be the best solution as unlinking and relinking can be cumbersome, also a Mac worth the power of this laptop would be £$£$

Out of interest what would be the deal with a Mac?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 20 2020, 03:37 AM
The mac os has something similar, the Icloud drive which supports 2 way encryption if desired. The entire OS is based on UNIX which is a highly secure OS and has lots of options for security. Most of it is seamless once you log in to given account. Even if someone pulls the drive, it won't do them much good if you've chosen to encrypt a given folder which you can do to any folder you like.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 19 2020, 01:00 PM) *
I think the encryption might be the best solution as unlinking and relinking can be cumbersome, also a Mac worth the power of this laptop would be £$£$

Out of interest what would be the deal with a Mac?

Cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2020 - 03:43 PM