The Secret To "huge" Guitar Tone
TUBE GOD OR CORK SNIFFER?
Does he have a point? Or is he just a "Cork Sniffer"?
GOOD POINT [ 2 ] ** [100.00%]
CORK SNIFFER HIPSTER [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 2
Guests cannot vote 
Todd Simpson
Oct 9 2020, 06:24 AM
GMC:er
In an age of plugins and processors, there are still those who find the secret to HUGE guitar tone involves a real tube amp and the magic of pushing it's tubes into a glowing burning orange brilliance which results in the creation of natural harmonic overtones and breakup of the speakers. This results in what we think of as a massive guitar tone. This approach is growing more and more rare these days as simulating such things gets easier and easier while doing it the traditional way remains expensive and LOUD. One of the "Faithful" is the guitar tone meister from QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE (Troy Van Leeuwen) who says,

"People think you need all this extra distortion – if your amp’s loud and you get the speakers to move, that’s how you sound huge"

Here he is talking about his approach to tone and his new FENDER JAZZMASTER Signature Guitar.

So what do you think?????? Does he have a point? or is he just a "CORK SNIFFER"?

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/troy-v...aster-interview

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 9 2020, 06:27 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 10 2020, 02:34 AM
QOTSA has a pretty massive guitar sound so I would say that for him and that band - he certainly makes his point.
I think that one of the big mistakes a lot of novice players make, especially one's that have never really spent much time in a live band where you could actually crank, is that they keep trying to add gain and more gain. Double tracking, triple tracking, etc. and it all ends up sounding smaller.
Does it have to be live and loud with a tube amp to get it "big"? No, you can do it ITB and/or with quieter amps. You have to learn a bit about EQ as well as how to layer/double parts.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 10 2020, 07:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm no expert in the creation of tone by any stretch of the imagination but to me, there's still nothing like plugging into an actual amp, even in my room at home, plugging into my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue with a JHS Little Black Box, you can drive it as much as you want at sensible volumes and it sounds gorgeous, the clean channel is incredible, even using a plugin with the same settings it just doesn't sound like the amp in the room. Must be all about the box, the speaker cone and moving some air.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
</div>[color="#000000"][/color

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 11 2020, 01:24 AM
True smile.gif There is really something unique about being in the room with a good amp. The amp itself becomes an instrument. Something to be played along with the guitar. It's got it's own character, resonance, etc. and adds to the overall experience. Replicating that type of thing is really tough at low volume and with small desktop powered monitors or headphones. It's just a difference experience. To get that "amp vibe" without using an amp, one woujld need to replicate the amp experience to some degree by using a much larger speaker/speaker cabinet than the typical set of near field monitors can provide. Not to mention the harmonic richness of actual tubes and how they change over time with age, heat, volume, etc. There is nothing like "Riding the lightning" imho smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 10 2020, 02:25 PM) *
I'm no expert in the creation of tone by any stretch of the imagination but to me, there's still nothing like plugging into an actual amp, even in my room at home, plugging into my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue with a JHS Little Black Box, you can drive it as much as you want at sensible volumes and it sounds gorgeous, the clean channel is incredible, even using a plugin with the same settings it just doesn't sound like the amp in the room. Must be all about the box, the speaker cone and moving some air.

Cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2020 - 10:29 PM