Kramer 2020 Lineup
Todd Simpson
Oct 13 2020, 12:41 AM
GMC:er
In light of the recent death of Eddie VanHalen, I thought it might be a good time to mention the new Kramer Guitars lineup for 2020. Eddie was a "Kramer Guy" for a big chunk of his prime years. They didn't get a lot of love until EVH decided to go with Kramer and then bam. The kramer hockeystick head stock was everywhere all of the sudden. The brand waned in the years following the departure of EVH. Recently though, the company is having a bit of a comeback. They are not re inventing the wheel though. They are digging deep in to their history and reissuing the guitars that made them a guitar brand to start with. Clearly, this is a "RETO" lineup. I gotta say though, i want the tigerstripe. smile.gif

Anyone have or had one of these?

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/kramer...review-round-up

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 13 2020, 12:42 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Oct 13 2020, 03:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
The three-way mini-toggle is discouraging me; I prefer to switch between pickups fast.

Three humbuckers are also not my thing; too much magnetic pull on the strings.

So I would have gone for the Baretta vintage.

BUT that huge block of wood that joins the neck with the body is something that always bothered me.

I am glad newer guitar models/brands upgraded the traditional models into modern and more easy to play instruments (ease of access to the high frets, locking tuners, locking straps etc)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 13 2020, 04:34 PM
I like the simple red one with the maple neck. It's like a stripped down hot-rod.

*Magnets generally are on the bottom of humbucking pickups. They usually have less pull than comparable (alloy/output) single coils.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2020, 02:15 AM
UPDATE: This "Snake" version of the baretta is coming out as well. I'd like to give it a try also :

Attached Image

Only one of them has 24 frets and feels remotely modern. Still, I do like that TIGER STRIPE smile.gif It's just so darn retro. I'd miss having the 5 way switch and I'd miss the last 2 frets, but sill. I'd like to get my hands on one smile.gif

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Oct 13 2020, 10:32 AM) *
The three-way mini-toggle is discouraging me; I prefer to switch between pickups fast.

I am glad newer guitar models/brands upgraded the traditional models into modern and more easy to play instruments (ease of access to the high frets, locking tuners, locking straps etc)

I do like the Baretta Vintage! I had a white version of the same guitar from the FOCUS line. Same single slanted pup, floyd etc. Very fun guitar. Reminded me a lot of the green BCrich gunslinger I got years later. Though the kramer was vastly better in terms of build quality. Id really like the tiger but I'd be happy to have the Baretta as well smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 13 2020, 11:34 AM) *
I like the simple red one with the maple neck. It's like a stripped down hot-rod.

*Magnets generally are on the bottom of humbucking pickups. They usually have less pull than comparable (alloy/output) single coils.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 14 2020, 02:22 AM

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Oct 14 2020, 10:11 AM
Learning Tone Master
I don't remember which guitar player said it, but he said something along the lines "who honestly uses frets 23 and 24 on ALL six strings besides the high e and b string? If by any chance I need to play the 24 fret note, I'll just bend the 22nd fret."

In my opinion it is a waste of wood hehe

22 frets are more than enough.

Also this baretta is way more better for me since it also has a tone knob; it can be used to make the bridge pickup sound more like the neck pickup. Phil-X does a great demonstration about the use of the tone knob on a single pickup guitar.

This post has been edited by Steve Gilfield: Oct 14 2020, 10:13 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 14 2020, 10:55 AM
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Oct 14 2020, 09:11 AM) *
I don't remember which guitar player said it, but he said something along the lines "who honestly uses frets 23 and 24 on ALL six strings besides the high e and b string? If by any chance I need to play the 24 fret note, I'll just bend the 22nd fret."

The PU placement changes as frets are added (24 fret; closer neck pickup to the bridge), so the neck PU tone is changed quite a bit. It can be a preference, check out PRS video's for the impact on clean sounds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Oct 14 2020, 08:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
Exactly man, I agree!

I saw some guitars with 29(?) frets, and the "neck" pickup was at the position of a middle pickup on a 22 fret guitar biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 14 2020, 09:55 AM) *
The PU placement changes as frets are added (24 fret; closer neck pickup to the bridge), so the neck PU tone is changed quite a bit. It can be a preference, check out PRS video's for the impact on clean sounds.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 15 2020, 05:22 AM
22 frets is not a deal killer for me. I still want the Tiger Stripe smile.gif I liked my single knob kramer. Only one pickup, one knob, only 22 frets, was still a great guitar smile.gif

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Oct 14 2020, 05:11 AM) *

Also this baretta is way more better for me since it also has a tone knob; it can be used to make the bridge pickup sound more like the neck pickup. Phil-X does a great demonstration about the use of the tone knob on a single pickup guitar.

It all goes in to the things that make a guitar sound a certain way. smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 14 2020, 05:55 AM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2020 - 09:42 PM