80s Metal Tone Pack With Spx90 Plugin!
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2020, 04:21 AM
GMC:er
A bit part of the 80s and 90s Metal sound (Zakk Wylde is a good example) is built around a bit of rack gear. The YAMAHA SPX90. This unit had a preset called "SYMPHONIC" which was a pitch transposing chorus preset. It was used on just tons of records in the 80s/90s and was in many touring racks, back when touring players used huge racks of gear. Until now, there has never been a real SPX90 plugin. It's finally here. The fine folks at OVERLOUD have created the spx90 in software as part of the METALX rig pack. It's a rig pack created by Michael Nielson of BIG HAIRY GUITARS (his youtube channel). I've shared many vids from this guy as he always finds killer rare gear and does great demos. I bought my X88r clone preamp after watching him demo the real x88r preamp.

This rig pack uses his rare preamps/amps used by Zakk Wylde*, Warren DiMartini*, Paul Gilbert*. Including the METALTRONIX preamp and amp as well as the Marshall Jubilee head. The rig packs are created in a similar way to kemper profiles and are intended to be a snapshot of an entire rig that behaves as the rig would behave. I am grabbing this rig pack and I don't usually by preset packs. It's the only way to get the SPX90 rack unit inside of OVERLOUD THU and the amps uses are also not available in THU without this pack. So they got me!!! smile.gif I'm stoked to try this out.

Here is an audio/video demo of the rig pack.

This is a video about the SPX90 and the creation of this rig pack and the gear it's based on.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 14 2020, 08:27 AM
Very cool

The moment engaged its instant 80's, and yeah though there are plug-in or ir's that sort of gets that sound nothing specific till now which is surprising given the fame of the unit.

And though Overloud is likely most recognized for their guitar plug-in, some other products they released have respect of engineer community too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 14 2020, 03:49 PM
I had an SPX-90 in a rack.
Overloud may be the first one to do an obvious spx emulation but the Symphonic patch on the Yamaha was a copy of something else ... the Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus. The original rack unit came after a mod that was originally done for Fender Rhodes pianos - "Dyno-My-Piano".
Softube does an emulation.
https://www.audiotechnology.com/news/softub...-stereo-plug-in

*Fulltone makes a hardware version.
https://www.fulltone.com/products/custom-sh...80s-rack-chorus

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 14 2020, 03:54 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 15 2020, 05:33 AM
That tri chorus is a classic unit and that plugin is killer as well. It's very similar to the spx90. the plugin inside of overloud is very handy to have as it can be applied as part of a preset instead of needing an addition plugin for a guitar patch. There is one other plugin chorus that sounded sorta similar that I found a bit back. The one inside the overloud suite really does nail the slight pitch bend and gives good control over the effect. They are still building a version of the 80s chorus unit in question at fulltone as you mention! It costs $1500, but it's out there. The UA version requires UA hardware which is yet another expense if one doesn't already own a UA interface. Thank goodness the plugin pack is onlly $30!

I'm stoked that mr Hairy Guitars got them to create this smile.gif

quote name='klasaine' date='Oct 14 2020, 10:49 AM' post='781113']
I had an SPX-90 in a rack.
Overloud may be the first one to do an obvious spx emulation but the Symphonic patch on the Yamaha was a copy of something else ... the Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus. The original rack unit came after a mod that was originally done for Fender Rhodes pianos - "Dyno-My-Piano".
Softube does an emulation.
https://www.audiotechnology.com/news/softub...-stereo-plug-in

*Fulltone makes a hardware version.
https://www.fulltone.com/products/custom-sh...80s-rack-chorus
[/quote]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2020 - 09:15 PM