> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Funk Fusion Grooves, Lesson By Diego Budicin
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
5 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

tflava
Feb 7 2021, 10:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Funk Fusion Grooves by Diego Budicin

Here my first take of this lesson. I worked on it very slowly for the past weeks/months

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 8 2021, 03:03 PM
Instructor
Hi Tim!

I can see that you have been working very hard on this one. I'm following your progress at the mentoring program so you have continuos feedback there.

This take shows that you are not still comfortable with the high tempo of this one. You sound like trying to get the beat and this doesn't allow you to focus and work on timing, dynamics, and other details. I think that it's ok to give it some tries at fast tempo every day, but I still feel that you need to isolate parts and work at slower tempo for some more days/weeks, trying to polish the grooves.

Dynamics, timing, the use of palm muting, tone, which notes are targeted in chords and riffs, ghost notes, among many other details are more important than tempo now. I think that you need to get again into Diego's take to get more from those riffs and rhythms.

This is an example of the type of analysis that you need to do and the things that you should work/improve:

00:00 to 00:06: Work on dynamics, and the tone that you get based on palm muting. Improve groove and fix that extra noise.

00:08 to 00:11: Those sixths are not played with strumming. It's a string skipping idea. The higher notes sound with staccato, while the lower with palm muting (also with staccato effect).

00:11 to 00:15: Polish the sound and timing of those palm muted notes at the beginning. Improve the sound of the double stop hammer on.

00:17 to 00:19: Tone, dynamics, and timing/groove.

If you have any question, ask me at the thread! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 9 2021, 11:21 AM
GMC Founder
Nice - this is type of lesson I have been wanting to get into to target some weak areas in my own playing as well.

Just like with faster metal riffing - this type of technical funk requires you to be 100% in time or it will be felt!

Now in the beginning you do convey a fairly comfortable feel - and it's pretty groovy!

However around 00:48 your timing starts to fall completely apart and the take looses musicality.

From a technical perspective - you make it clear you understand what this type of playing is all about: keep the strumming going, no matter what. If you can call up a steady up & down movement whenever you need it, you have got the most important building block down.

So in your case - it's mostly a matter of getting much more practicing time so that you command the whole piece.

Keep up the hard work, you get a 4 from me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 16 2021, 04:04 PM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

It's a very cool lesson by Diego. Just keeps making me grooving with my feet wink.gif

I can notice constantly the same problems. This lesson is very difficult in my opinion. It demands high right hand discipline and uncompromised tightness in rhyhtm. I think your right hand is too loosen. It refers to both - pick grip and...I could say..some latency you have moving your hand after breaks. It affects the performance in 2 fields - timing and precision - mostly precision in hand sync. You go off at the faster runs.

AS you dig into time and have a short moment of a regular, constant movement, you begin to tighten with the track so main aspect to focus is on how to prepare your right hand for playing after breaks.

Don't let yourself be fooled by overall idea that hand needs to be relaxed on strumming. This is not a regular strumming.

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 6 2021, 10:38 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 4.7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2021 - 11:52 PM