What's Your Own Favourite Improv
Phil66
Feb 20 2021, 09:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'd like to hear your own personal favourite improvisation, one that you played and recorded completely off the cuff with no preparation.

This is my favourite. It was a couple of years ago, I had the mighty Stevie Ray Vaughan's track, Tin Pan Alley in mind when I was playing. Obviously this is light-years away from SRV but, I still like it to this day and it's one thing of mine that I don't mind letting people hear. There are some poor bends and bad note choices and sometimes a complete disregard of timekeeping but hey ho, it's an improv wink.gif

Let me know what you think and please post some of yours.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/em-jam-sep-14th-2018

Cheers

Stay safe.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
Feb 20 2021, 09:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
This one turned out okay, I think. It's 4 years old by now. I was kinda conscious about my note and melody choices:

And maybe this one too:

Also, I remember your improv from the day I heard it. Your playing sounds fantastic on that one, Phil! Great, great job! Very emotional playing!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 20 2021, 09:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 20 2021, 09:50 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 20 2021, 08:17 PM) *
Also, I remember your improv from the day I heard it. Your playing sounds fantastic on that one, Phil! Great, great job! Very emotional playing!

Thank you for your kind comments Ben, much appreciated.

Your two solos are amazing and in the first one, that sweep at 1:46, straight out of nowhere, WOW blink.gif

You, my friend, have skills and are an inspiration.

Thanks for sharing.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
Feb 20 2021, 09:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 20 2021, 10:50 PM) *
Thank you for your kind comments Ben, much appreciated.

Your two solos are amazing and in the first one, that sweep at 1:46, straight out of nowhere, WOW blink.gif

You, my friend, have skills and are an inspiration.

Thanks for sharing.

As are you, Phil, an inspiration! smile.gif

Thanks for the very kind words!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 20 2021, 10:03 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 20 2021, 08:53 PM) *
As are you, Phil, an inspiration! smile.gif

I can't imagine how I inspire but thanks anyway buddy. I'm hoping we get to hear quite a few improvs on this thread, it could be like a showcase for GMC visitors cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
Feb 20 2021, 10:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 20 2021, 11:03 PM) *
I can't imagine how I inspire but thanks anyway buddy. I'm hoping we get to hear quite a few improvs on this thread, it could be like a showcase for GMC visitors cool.gif

Your determination and willingness to learn is definitely an inspiration and something I could learn from! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 20 2021, 10:43 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 20 2021, 09:35 PM) *
Your determination and willingness to learn is definitely an inspiration and something I could learn from! smile.gif

I can be very determined, I hate to be beaten by a lesson, not so much now but a couple of years ago I stuck at a lesson, against Gab's advice foot about 8 months with no increase in speed, I just couldn't get it but wouldn't leave it. I had to let it go in the end but it killed me admitting defeat.

Cheers buddy, to infinity and beyoooonnnnnnnd! cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 20 2021, 11:52 PM
GMC:er
I don't have a recording but I can share an experience i had.

Was on my first year at music school. My improv solos where usually on the pretty meh side, tongue.gif. Especially whenever i tried to make changes.
I was playing the "right note", but more often than not you could hear me thinking and stressing, if that makes sense.

But one time, after we be jamming Duke Ellington's - It dont mean a thing, everyone walked up to me and gave like and high five and said how much they liked my solo.

Thing is, I can't recall what I played.
I remember watching my fingers, but its like my brain, my ego, forgot to exist, I was just watching from outside my head. Excuse my Hippieness
Never managed to reproduced such feeling ever again though.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Feb 20 2021, 11:54 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 21 2021, 06:07 PM
GMC:er
Great stuff guys!! I remember BENS improve on X37. It was the best of the bunch. As with many of his takes on various bits in the challenge series, our various dual solo collabs, I'm always impressed with what he brings to the table. Very cool blues stuff on Phills as well! Got a real SRV thing happening!

This is a solo I did with a guitar player who is almost like the Brazilian Joe Satriani. I didn't realize he was a famous guitar player in his country when I approached him about a collab. I just liked the way he played. I improved my solo roughly as a response to his. I'm playing an eight string guitar here which allows for much long scale runs.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Feb 21 2021, 06:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

This is one of my improvisations that I like:

My guitar playing in here does it reminds you of some band, or guitar player?
I can tell that it sounds like power metal for sure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 21 2021, 08:16 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I think this one turned out alright although there is a bit of sloppiness here and there. It was my first collab here at GMC almost 10 years ago. Everything but the opening riff and Hendrix (Third Stone) riff also at the beginning is improvised. The ending kind of snuck up on me. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2021, 03:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 20 2021, 05:06 PM) *
I'd like to hear your own personal favourite improvisation, one that you played and recorded completely off the cuff with no preparation.

This is my favourite. It was a couple of years ago, I had the mighty Stevie Ray Vaughan's track, Tin Pan Alley in mind when I was playing. Obviously this is light-years away from SRV but, I still like it to this day and it's one thing of mine that I don't mind letting people hear. There are some poor bends and bad note choices and sometimes a complete disregard of timekeeping but hey ho, it's an improv wink.gif

Let me know what you think and please post some of yours.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/em-jam-sep-14th-2018

Cheers

Stay safe.

That's a beautiful improvisation Phil! I really enjoyed your phrasing and your use of silences/breathing. Great one!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2021, 06:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 21 2021, 04:16 PM) *
I think this one turned out alright although there is a bit of sloppiness here and there. It was my first collab here at GMC almost 10 years ago. Everything but the opening riff and Hendrix (Third Stone) riff also at the beginning is improvised. The ending kind of snuck up on me. rolleyes.gif

That's very cool! Some bits remind me to Blues Saraceno! That's a groovy improv, nice one!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 22 2021, 09:39 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 22 2021, 02:49 PM) *
That's a beautiful improvisation Phil! I really enjoyed your phrasing and your use of silences/breathing. Great one!

Thanks for your kind words Gab,

That was a couple of years ago, I might do another one soon just to see what happens.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
Feb 22 2021, 10:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 22 2021, 10:39 PM) *
Thanks for your kind words Gab,

That was a couple of years ago, I might do another one soon just to see what happens.

You absolutely should! We would love to hear it! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 23 2021, 05:40 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 22 2021, 08:27 AM) *
That's very cool! Some bits remind me to Blues Saraceno! That's a groovy improv, nice one!

Thanks a lot, Gabriel. I really appreciate it. 😎

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 23 2021, 06:23 AM
I'm enjoying listening to all of these improvs. When I was a kid, before I even thought about getting a guitar, I thought improvisation was easy, how hard can playing whatever you want to play be? Well I now know it's possibly one of the hardest things to do well, if anyone manages to create something on the fly that half listenable, it's an achievement.

Keep em coming, maybe record some new ones and post.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2021 - 02:12 AM