Prevent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Todd Simpson
Apr 5 2021, 11:53 PM
GMC:er
Repetitive Stress Injury (RSI) or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, is caused by repeated stress on the hands and arms. It's something that many musicians get as a result of too much time practicing and playing without properly stretching/warming up first. I've had it and it's AWFUL. Here is Per from SCAR SYMMETRY and MESHUGGAH talking about getting carpal tunnel syndrome and not being able to play guitar for a long time.

*He Starts talking about it at 9:00

One way to prevent this is to DO YOUR STRETCHES!!!!!! smile.gif Before you play to warm up and after you play to cool down. Something like this.

Also, during my physical therapy to recover, my therapist suggested a "MECHANICAL/TACTILE CLICK KEYBOARD". These keyboard have taller keys and make a click sound when you strike. It encourages the hand float above the keyboard and not rest on it which helps reduce strain and the click means you can use as little pressure as possible since you can be sure you hit the key because it makes a click. I've switched back to a tactile click keyboard as my carpal tunnel was starting to come back.
These are about $30 so they are not expensive. If it won't annoy your wife/girlfriend/dog, I'd say get one and save your arms. we type a LOT now that we are spending more time at home due to the pandemic. save your arms. Any mechanical keyboard will do the trick. I did a lot of searching and found one for $30 which is great since they can go well over $100!

Picket Mechanical Gaming Board (Blue Switches)
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 6 2021, 01:15 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd April 2021 - 02:26 AM