Preventing Guitar Damage In Shipping
Todd Simpson
Apr 24 2021, 05:00 AM
GMC:er
Recently I purchased 3 Guitars. The first was from GUITARCENTER.com and it arrived looking like it had been thrown off the back of a truck at speed. I had to return it. They sent a second guitar, and thankfully it showed up in good condition, (sadly it needed a refret which would have cost nearly as much as the guitar) which was a bit of a miracle. The third guitar I bought from SWEETWATER.com and it arrived pristine and I wanted to show you the difference in how these are sent out.

I made a short video to show the difference in how these two companies ship out their guitars.

1.)GUITARCENTER.com
They sent both guitars SINGLE BOXED, without so much a gig bag to protect the instrument. In my first delivery the instrument was destroyed. Upon opening the second guitar from them, I noticed it was just sort of tossed in a box with minimal effort given to protect the instrument. In short I was simply shocked at how slack they were both times no packing their instruments. No care given, no protection to the instrument, just awful.

2.)SWEETWATER.com
DOUBLE BOXED guitar arrived in pristine condition. In between the double boxing was foam packing material. The second box is huge. the air gap in between the boxes protects the one inside.

In the video I try to show the difference between these two approaches. After having tried both, I don't think I will be buying from guitar center online ever again. If you are going to buy a new guitar online, I'd suggest avoiding guitarcenter.com

ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCES LIKE THIS?

*Here is the vid. Notice the size difference in the two boxes.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 24 2021, 09:15 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Not with a guitar but with a band new Samsung monitor a few years ago. Bought direct from Samsung the packaging was shocking, it was loose in a box and the screen was cracked, the replacement was packed just the same and the bezel was cracked the third one was packed just as badly but not damaged.

Shocking really, even more so when sent like that from the manufacturer.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 25 2021, 07:28 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 24 2021, 09:19 AM
Only 2 days ago my brother got his TV cracked out of the box.

--------------------

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Apr 24 2021, 01:31 PM
I had once to send a guitar that I sold... I took me quite a bit of time to prepare the box : the guitar in its solid case, with lots of paper to protect the neck and the head... and the case was completely wrapper in cardbox...

I took an insurance for the transport and delivery and remained anxious during 2 days before the buyer confirmed reception with no damage...

Thank you for sharing your experience... it's always nice when you know where (not) to buy!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 24 2021, 02:15 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 24 2021, 04:00 AM) *

By the way Todd, once the honesymoon is over waiting for your Jackson review cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Apr 24 2021, 02:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
Bigger boxes, extra foam, double boxes etc = more cost to deliver.

So as long as the buyer does not complain about the high shipping costs, then go with the company that gives you that extra protection.

I am saying this because a lot of people want lower shipping rates and at the same time higher/more protection measures and fast shipment.

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
Apr 24 2021, 02:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've ordered a bunch of guitars online, and I always fear when they don't come in a hardcase. My Iron Label 8 string, when I had that, just came in a box, no bag, no nothing, barely anything to soften any blows to the box, but surprisingly it survived.

It was shipped like this:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 25 2021, 06:20 AM
I fell out of love pretty quickly with the Jackson sadly. I loved the way it looks but the neck was not to my liking and the pickups even less. Worse, the body style looks great, but doesn't work well seated in classical position. In short, it's a great looking guitar to be sure, but just not the guitar for me. I like trying out non Ibby guitars now and then smile.gif It reminds my why I love my ibbys so much.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 24 2021, 09:15 AM) *
By the way Todd, once the honesymoon is over waiting for your Jackson review cool.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 25 2021, 06:11 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 25 2021, 05:20 AM) *
I fell out of love pretty quickly with the Jackson sadly. I loved the way it looks but the neck was not to my liking and the pickups even less. Worse, the body style looks great, but doesn't work well seated in classical position. In short, it's a great looking guitar to be sure, but just not the guitar for me. I like trying out non Ibby guitars now and then smile.gif It reminds my why I love my ibbys so much.

Ah I forgot you liked to play in classical position, the high-end Jackson neck profiles then would be more closer to your liking but they're very expensive.

Did you get a chance to discover Florida guitar stores? to my knowledge cause it gets so hot in summer these might be good times to start looking around, would be fun too.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 25 2021, 06:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 25 2021, 07:13 PM
I once sold a guitar.I took it to my local Royal mail. The woman who served me asked if I wanted it insured in which I did. She took my guitar sat it on her chair . The guy that was working next to her told her we dont insure musical instruments . At this point my guitar fell off her chair and smacked the ground laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 25 2021, 08:04 PM
Learning Tone Master
I've got gun powder shipped with no protection, If someone was smoking and another package fell and squeezed some out, would have not been good

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 26 2021, 02:45 AM
I just recently sold a very boutique tube amp head. It was a lot of money so I had it packed, shipped and insured by a private agency that has experience specifically with musical instruments and amps.
$206.00 (US) shipped and insured across the country.
It arrived unscathed, customer happy.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 27 2021, 03:08 AM
Wow! That thing arrived pristine!! My first ibby from guitar center was crushed on the outside endge near the back behind the bridge. You must have very gentle postmen!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 24 2021, 09:53 AM) *
I've ordered a bunch of guitars online, and I always fear when they don't come in a hardcase. My Iron Label 8 string, when I had that, just came in a box, no bag, no nothing, barely anything to soften any blows to the box, but surprisingly it survived.

It was shipped like this:

Attached Image

For pricey gear especially fragile gear, it's worth it to take extra care imho.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 25 2021, 09:45 PM) *
I just recently sold a very boutique tube amp head. It was a lot of money so I had it packed, shipped and insured by a private agency that has experience specifically with musical instruments and amps.
$206.00 (US) shipped and insured across the country.
It arrived unscathed, customer happy.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2021 - 12:56 AM