Vintage Chorus Rack Unit Demo
Todd Simpson
Apr 29 2021, 07:40 AM
GMC:er
Leon Todd (great player from Australia and really nice guy) is doing a vid with his vintage Klark Teknik BBD-320 rack mount chorus unit. You have probably seen this HUGE rack mount unit in many racks over the years. I used to think it was a power amp or something, but nope! It's a vintage chorus!! smile.gif In addition, he throws in a vintage PCM70 from lexicon and then to top it off he puts in an ECLIPSE rack unit from TC ELECTRONIC which costs about $3,000. This spiff chorus patch probably set him back around $5,000 in total. Ouch! To be honest though, I've heard clean tones at least this good just from the AXE FX III which he is using in this demo just for an amp/cab sim.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 29 2021, 03:07 PM
I have the UA plugin of the rack Roland SDD-320 Dimension D (Studio D Chorus - included when you purchase an Apollo). I also have the vintage Boss pedal version, Dimension C - purple box w/4 metal push buttons.
Super limited but they do sound good.
Originally the Dimension D (rack unit) was not marketed as a 'Chorus'. It was touted as a stereo enhancer to give "dimension" to mono and/or otherwise dull tracks. You were supposed to put it on your mix bus (in parallel) or on a 'group'. Guitar and keys players latched on to it pretty quickly as a rack chorus.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 29 2021, 04:04 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 29 2021, 11:46 PM
I've got an emulation of the purple DIMENSION C in my Ampero and am very fond of it. As you say, it's got very limited controls, just four buttons, but it does sound nice. These rack units can be had now for $150 which is way cheap considering what they cost back in the day. The boss purple pedal is another handy way to get this tone. Both have not been made in quite a while but are still kicking around wink.gif Of course, you can buy the WAZA version of this pedal from boss!

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 29 2021, 10:07 AM) *
I have the UA plugin of the rack Roland SDD-320 Dimension D (Studio D Chorus - included when you purchase an Apollo). I also have the vintage Boss pedal version, Dimension C - purple box w/4 metal push buttons.
Super limited but they do sound good.
Originally the Dimension D (rack unit) was not marketed as a 'Chorus'. It was touted as a stereo enhancer to give "dimension" to mono and/or otherwise dull tracks. You were supposed to put it on your mix bus (in parallel) or on a 'group'. Guitar and keys players latched on to it pretty quickly as a rack chorus.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 29 2021, 11:48 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2021 - 01:12 AM