Once Piece Recording Studio?
Todd Simpson
May 30 2021, 09:22 PM
GMC:er
The SPIRE, from IZOTOPE (the folks that make ozone) is a one piece recording studio and costs $500 (the first gen version is only $300). It’s a one piece unit. It’s controlled from your phone (it will work with Android or IOS devices, also if you are running an M1 mac of any type, it will work just fine with that as well) . It’s pretty simple to use. It has a variety of features that are needed for making music. Among other things, it’s got “one button mastering”. So when you are done with your song, you hit one button and bam it’s ready to go. Let’s look at the standard features.

One button recording is it’s main thing. You just plug in to the unit using a microphone or guitar (2 xlr combo jacks with phantom power) or you can use the built in microphone and you just hit the record button and your recording. You get 8 tracks of live recording ability and the app makes controlling it quite simple. The app connects via wi fi to your spire. You can use an iphone or ipad or android device, or M1 mac, to control everything. The ipad is a great option as it gives you a nice big screen to control everything with. It’s designed to be used with a mobile device as it’s a mobile recording platform. It’s portability is one of it’s main features. It’s small, just a few inches tall and few inches across.

Once you plug in your guitar, you can select a variety of pre built guitar tones. You can modify all of these of course, but there are wads of presets to get you going quickly. You can do guitar/bass/etc. Anything that you can plugin with quarter inch jacks. Then there is a built in metronome to keep you in time. You can record bass in the same way. Just plug in to the unit and select a tone preset and bam your recording. You can record bass and guitar at the same time if you like.

You can even use the built in mic to record a full drum kit. It will recognize the input as being a drum kit and automatically add fx/eq to make the kit sound good. It’s the easiest way to record a full kit that i’ve ever seen. Certainly you can do better by fully micing the entire kit, but this takes a lot more gear and a lot more time. You can select a preset for your drums just like you can do for any input source. The results are surprisingly good. WIth one small built in mic, and some dsp, you can get quick recordings of a full drum kit. This would make building scratch tracks very quick indeed. You may decide it’s good enough and just keep it. Same thing goes for vocals, you just hook up your mic, select a tonal/fx preset and bam your ready to record.

One of the really spiff features is visual mixing. You get a display of each track and you can move each one around in the stereo field by just dragging it to where you want it to be. It’s a very intuitive way to place things. That’s really what makes the unit unique. It’s built so that even if you have no experience in recording, you can quickly start putting together tracks. IZOTOPE is known for making great dsp products like OZONE and now they have done a hardware piece that has a lot of their tech built in. It makes use of AI to make your track sound as good as possible. I was pretty shocked actually by how good it can sound. I had my doubts about this unit since I first saw it a few years ago. Looked like a gimmick. I finally watched a full demo vid and now I”m impressed. What do you guys think?

Here is a full walk through.

Here is FLUFF doing a demo.

Here is a link to the product page for the new version which has better preamps than version 1.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/spire/spire-studio.html

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 31 2021, 05:44 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th June 2021 - 06:07 AM