Polyphia Style By Ruben Wan: All The Same?
Todd Simpson
Jul 4 2021, 06:08 AM
GMC:er
Ibanez artist Ruben Wan doing his best polyphia vibe smile.gif Just kidding. he's got serious chops and the jazzy vibe sounds very cool. What do you guys think? do these guys all sound the same to you? or are they different enough?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jul 4 2021, 11:35 AM
Learning Tone Master
That's a nice tune for a lullaby to help your children go to sleep biggrin.gif

I think this is the modern style of guitar playing; extended chords, inversions etc.

That's what you get when a guitar player is educated on music theory/harmony, and I am so much in favour of this hehe

Thanks Todd for introducing us to this new(??) guitar player.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 4 2021, 01:20 PM
One of shred guitars main problem was always when played solo it was very rarely impactful to the audience unless they were super hyped in a stadium concert.

The style to me sort of opened another doorway for a fulfilling solo guitar listening experience. Not really interested in throwing away the pick to be honest but who knows might give influence some day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 4 2021, 03:15 PM
It was one of those cycles. More RnB and Soul vibes, popularized by folks like Asato, than Polyphia imo.

I enjoy listen to it, but listening to your standard minor 7 voice hammering on the 9th is something I can go without tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif .

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 4 2021, 11:53 PM
Yup this is the "New" Stuff smile.gif Been around for several years but it started small in instagram and tiktok and grew. Now it's what passes for 'Shredding" smile.gif

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Jul 4 2021, 06:35 AM) *
That's a nice tune for a lullaby to help your children go to sleep biggrin.gif

I think this is the modern style of guitar playing; extended chords, inversions etc.

That's what you get when a guitar player is educated on music theory/harmony, and I am so much in favour of this hehe

Thanks Todd for introducing us to this new(??) guitar player.

Im always open to new styles and bits of trendy playing. These things work their way in to the vocabulary of guitar and become normalized over time. tapping was wild and crazy for a short time during the late 70s smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 4 2021, 08:20 AM) *
One of shred guitars main problem was always when played solo it was very rarely impactful to the audience unless they were super hyped in a stadium concert.

The style to me sort of opened another doorway for a fulfilling solo guitar listening experience. Not really interested in throwing away the pick to be honest but who knows might give influence some day.

I would like to see this style blended with blues/prog to a greater degree. A fusion of styles with some of this on top might be cool smile.gif

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jul 4 2021, 10:15 AM) *
It was one of those cycles. More RnB and Soul vibes, popularized by folks like Asato, than Polyphia imo.

I enjoy listen to it, but listening to your standard minor 7 voice hammering on the 9th is something I can go without tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif .

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 5 2021, 04:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 4 2021, 09:20 AM) *

That's a very interesting point of view! I also think that this style allows a more intimate way of playing the guitar. You don't even need to use a backing track to make killer music.

It seems that Kris is going in a similar direction and he is sharing his journey here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Percus...lectric-Basics/

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 4 2021, 07:53 PM) *
Yup this is the "New" Stuff smile.gif Been around for several years but it started small in instagram and tiktok and grew. Now it's what passes for 'Shredding" smile.gif

Yeah! The NEW SHRED. And I love it. biggrin.gif But I also love the old school type.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 4 2021, 07:53 PM) *
I would like to see this style blended with blues/prog to a greater degree. A fusion of styles with some of this on top might be cool smile.gif

That would be very interesting! Have you heard any of these players?

Jared James Nichols
Chris Buck
Tyler Bryant
Eric Steckel

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 6 2021, 01:43 AM
Not yet but I'm sure they are out there on instagram/tiktok and we will probably start seeing them smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 4 2021, 11:57 PM) *
That would be very interesting! Have you heard any of these players?

Jared James Nichols
Chris Buck
Tyler Bryant
Eric Steckel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th August 2021 - 03:02 PM