Switched To Brave Browser, So far so good
Phil66
Nov 12 2021, 09:12 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks, after my Chrome browser got some weird infection I stopped using it, I can't remember what the infection was but it's resident somewhere on my HD and only affects Chrome, if I uninstall Chrome and reinstall, there it is again.

Anyway, I've switched to Brave, there's a bit of adjusting to the interface but not much and it's nice and quick so here's the link if you want to try it.

https://brave.com/

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Serenity Dimension project is available on Spotify, Facebook and Bandcamp. Please check it out and share if you like it.
Thanks.

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 13 2021, 03:35 AM
GMC:er
If you have an infected system you should really try to clean it it possible. Leaving unknown code floating around on a system can leave you open to all kinds of nasty stuff. What are you using for antivirus? The windows default anti virus is a bit crap so I'm hoping it's not that. AVAST is free and worth a scan of your HD.

The reason I use FIREFOX is it's enhanced anti tracking and all the plugins for ad blocking etc.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enhanc...firefox-desktop

Firefox has built in protection for
Social media trackers
Cross-site tracking cookies (also isolates remaining cookies)
Fingerprinters
Cryptominers
Tracking content: These trackers are hidden in ads, videos, and other in-page content. In Standard mode, tracking content is blocked in Private Windows. To add this protection in all windows, visit your privacy preferences and select Strict or Custom as explained below.

microsoft browsers are a bit of an open sewer in terms of harmful access imho. Chrome is better than any microsoft browsers but needs enhancements to be more secure. TOR is a great browser but lately it's being looked in to a bit much by the D.O.J since it's used for darkweb access.

In Private Browsing Mode and Strict Mode, Firefox includes Total Cookie Protection, which confines every cookie to the website where it was created. This prevents cookies from tracking you across sites. Strict Mode also includes Enhanced Cookie Clearing, which allows users to clear third-party cookies more effectively.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 12 2021, 04:12 PM) *
Hello folks, after my Chrome browser got some weird infection I stopped using it, I can't remember what the infection was but it's resident somewhere on my HD and only affects Chrome, if I uninstall Chrome and reinstall, there it is again.

Anyway, I've switched to Brave, there's a bit of adjusting to the interface but not much and it's nice and quick so here's the link if you want to try it.

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 13 2021, 03:42 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 13 2021, 07:13 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 12 2021, 11:12 AM) *

Cheers

I have been using Brave for at least 6 months now. I switched from Firefox. Brave is at least as secure as Firefox if not more and it's very fast. The only issue I have had with it is there is an ad on the homepage which only started just recently, but if you choose a website such as GMC as your homepage, then you don't see the ad. I use it on my Android phone and Windows laptop.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 13 2021, 07:50 AM
Opera user for a few years now, I didn't try brave but if an alternative is needed highly recommended.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 13 2021, 09:12 AM
I use the full Bitdefender suite. The chrome thing wasn't like a malicious virus, more adware like. It was just a bit of a ball ache iirc.

FF gives me occasional audio issue, fire instance this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Satch-Influences/ doesn't have any sound but if I pull the legs bar along to any point, I get split second of sound, works okay in Edge but I don't like using Ms browsers. I have reported that issue to Kris.

Cheers

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 13 2021, 02:35 AM) *
If you have an infected system you should really try to clean it it possible. Leaving unknown code floating around on a system can leave you open to all kinds of nasty stuff. What are you using for antivirus? The windows default anti virus is a bit crap so I'm hoping it's not that. AVAST is free and worth a scan of your HD.

The reason I use FIREFOX is it's enhanced anti tracking and all the plugins for ad blocking etc.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enhanc...firefox-desktop

Firefox has built in protection for
Social media trackers
Cross-site tracking cookies (also isolates remaining cookies)
Fingerprinters
Cryptominers
Tracking content: These trackers are hidden in ads, videos, and other in-page content. In Standard mode, tracking content is blocked in Private Windows. To add this protection in all windows, visit your privacy preferences and select Strict or Custom as explained below.

microsoft browsers are a bit of an open sewer in terms of harmful access imho. Chrome is better than any microsoft browsers but needs enhancements to be more secure. TOR is a great browser but lately it's being looked in to a bit much by the D.O.J since it's used for darkweb access.

In Private Browsing Mode and Strict Mode, Firefox includes Total Cookie Protection, which confines every cookie to the website where it was created. This prevents cookies from tracking you across sites. Strict Mode also includes Enhanced Cookie Clearing, which allows users to clear third-party cookies more effectively.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 14 2021, 08:56 AM

--------------------
My Serenity Dimension project is available on Spotify, Facebook and Bandcamp. Please check it out and share if you like it.
Thanks.

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 14 2021, 12:48 AM
Bit Defender is spiff kit smile.gif Brave is also a handy bit of kit. Having a good defense is key these days with all the crud floating around the interwebs. FF still has issues doing some playback issues for facebook embeds as well. I have had brave installed forever just never really used it as i've got FF with all the plugins and such loaded as I like it. I've got TOR as well, but never use it either. It's good to have options though.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 13 2021, 04:12 AM) *
I use the full Bitdefender suite. The chrome thing wasn't like a malicious virus, more aware like. It was just a bit of a ball ache iirc.

FF gives me occasional audio issue, fire instance this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Satch-Influences/ doesn't have any sound but if I pull the legs bar along to any point, I get split second of sound, works okay in Edge but I don't like using Ms browsers. I have reported that issue to Kris.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
Nov 14 2021, 04:34 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 13 2021, 10:12 AM) *
I use the full Bitdefender suite. The chrome thing wasn't like a malicious virus, more aware like. It was just a bit of a ball ache iirc.

Cheers

I would follow up as much as you can on that adware (I think that's what you meant?) or spyware. I'm not saying it's malicious, but leaving something like that around would worry me, and I'm sure there's some way to clean it up if you google for solutions a bit. I've had some stuff lingering around too, and it did worry me a bit - I did get rid of it eventually though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 14 2021, 08:57 AM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 14 2021, 03:34 AM) *
I would follow up as much as you can on that adware (I think that's what you meant?) or spyware. I'm not saying it's malicious, but leaving something like that around would worry me, and I'm sure there's some way to clean it up if you google for solutions a bit. I've had some stuff lingering around too, and it did worry me a bit - I did get rid of it eventually though.

Yeah thanks I'll look into it. Edited post now wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------
Thanks.

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 14 2021, 07:18 PM
I mentioned the same thing in an earlier post. It's never good to leave strange code lurking about. Payload could be anything. After phil mentioned bit defender I was thinking he meant he'd done a full sweep of the system?

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 13 2021, 11:34 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 14 2021, 07:20 PM
I'm going to reinstall chrome and see if it comes back, at least I'll know what I'm dealing with wink.gif

--------------------
Thanks.

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 14 2021, 07:31 PM
So did you run a system sweep using bit defender to see if it found something? Also, what exactly let you know you'd picked up some sort of malware or whatever it was?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 14 2021, 02:20 PM) *
I'm going to reinstall chrome and see if it comes back, at least I'll know what I'm dealing with wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 14 2021, 07:52 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 14 2021, 06:31 PM) *
So did you run a system sweep using bit defender to see if it found something? Also, what exactly let you know you'd picked up some sort of malware or whatever it was?

Bitdefender constantly monitors in real time I think. I can't remember if I did a full scan. If I remember correctly I kept getting random Web pages, all of the were sales related, I think. That's why I want to reinstall chrome, to see what was happening, it never happened with any other browser.

I'll be doing it in a short while wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------
Thanks.

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 14 2021, 07:59 PM
Here are instructions on doing a full system scan with bit defender. if you haven't done one, I'd suggest it. smile.gif

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1477/

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 14 2021, 02:52 PM) *
Bitdefender constantly monitors in real time I think. I can't remember if I did a full scan. If I remember correctly I kept getting random Web pages, all of the were sales related, I think. That's why I want to reinstall chrome, to see what was happening, it never happened with any other browser.

I'll be doing it in a short while wink.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 14 2021, 08:28 PM
Thanks buddy,

that article is a little out of date, you use the dashboard now wink.gif I've just installed Chrome again and it isn't doing the thing it was doing before. I'm sure it was selling sites that came up, even things like Amazon, Thomann etc were coming up. I wish it would do it again just so I know rolleyes.gif

Cheers

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 14 2021, 06:59 PM) *
Here are instructions on doing a full system scan with bit defender. if you haven't done one, I'd suggest it. smile.gif

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1477/

--------------------
Thanks.

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 15 2021, 11:00 PM
Full scan and only a trojan agent ETIK was found in a PST file backup from 2014.

I don't think that the thing causing the issue was malicious but it was an advertising thing.

Anyway, I got rid of the trojan but Chrome was working fine before I did that.

Cheers

--------------------
Thanks.

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 16 2021, 06:16 PM
hmm. it may be something got your permission without realizing it to set your landing page to adverts. Did you try going in to the prefs on chrome and just resetting your home page to whatever it should be?

sounds like the scan was clean so probably not the issue.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 15 2021, 06:00 PM) *
Full scan and only a trojan agent ETIK was found in a PST file backup from 2014.

I don't think that the thing causing the issue was malicious but it was an advertising thing.

Anyway, I got rid of the trojan but Chrome was working fine before I did that.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 16 2021, 07:27 PM
I didn't buddy, didn't think about that. It's all good now though cool.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 16 2021, 05:16 PM) *
hmm. it may be something got your permission without realizing it to set your landing page to adverts. Did you try going in to the prefs on chrome and just resetting your home page to whatever it should be?

--------------------
Thanks.

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2021 - 02:57 PM