Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can't Seem To Play With Someone Else?
RobM
post Sep 1 2007, 02:32 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.353

When I practice at home I do pretty good, i always use the metronome and can keep time with what I'm suposed to be playing (I'm still between 80 - 100 bpm on most things but I'm slowly improving since fathers day). My problem seems to be when I go to my guitar class i always seem to not be able to play in front of and/or with my teacher?

I always warm up real good before I leave the house but when I get there and he hears me I'm all fumble fingers? I told him once that when I get here I just seem to suck, he said your don't suck I sit here and listen to suck all day long and you're not part of that. But I don't know if he's being sincere or if he's just saying that to make me feel good?

I have the same problem when I'm practicing at home when someone walks by or talks to me or I hear other people talking I seem to lose concentration, some times.

Anyway I'm looking for a way, or ways to get myself past this because it's really starting to bother me that I do it. Would playing to backing music help? Kind of hard to play to backing tracks to minuet in G or the star spangled banner.

--------------------
You wish.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
post Sep 1 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1.061

When I have learned something new on guitar, and I show it to my dad, I totally suck. Its like that with most things, when your gonna show something to someone, you cant get it right tongue.gif I dont think I can help with this, maybe its just something to get used to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
post Sep 1 2007, 02:51 AM
Post #3

Get to da Chopper!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.374

i used to think i was amazing until i played infront of someone else so i blamed it on nerves. Then i recorded myself playing and was shocked to see/hear i wasnt so great. I think your ears are your most valuable tool as a guitarist/musician because they allow you to (if you concentrate and spend lots of time on it) hear all the flaws in your playing. I just got strict with myself and i seem fine infront of others.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
post Sep 1 2007, 02:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.260

QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Aug 31 2007, 09:51 PM) *
i used to think i was amazing until i played infront of someone else so i blamed it on nerves. Then i recorded myself playing and was shocked to see/hear i wasnt so great. I think your ears are your most valuable tool as a guitarist/musician because they allow you to (if you concentrate and spend lots of time on it) hear all the flaws in your playing. I just got strict with myself and i seem fine infront of others.

Very good point agree 100% smile.gif
Also i would like to add it takes another level of skill to be able to play with another guitarist.There has to be this click between the 2 of you or it doesnt work well.You have to learn to be as one and its not something you just get over night takes lot of work,just as it would to play with drummer bassist singer ect.Good example the dude that i grew up with jamming together on guitar,i met back up with him after like 2 years.Once we tryed to get together and jam we didnt know what to do cause it had been so long and we had changed.After an hour we were able to play afew songs but nothing like the past.Thats because you have to put alot of time into playing with other musicians just like you do guitar techniques

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Robin
post Sep 1 2007, 03:20 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1.061

QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Sep 1 2007, 01:51 AM) *

Indeed. My playing wasnt that great after all when I recorded it...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ayen
post Sep 1 2007, 03:37 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2.393

Maybe if you closed your eyes, or just concentrated on your own guitar and ignored the other person, you could convince yourself that you're alone.

If that doesn't work, try to play near that person as much as you can until you get comfortable with them. Sooner or later you're bound to get back to normal playing near someone else.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ryan
post Sep 1 2007, 07:24 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1.345

I HAVE A VERY GOOD SOLUTION TO THIS.

This helped me tons to play in front of atleast my friends so far.

Step one:
What you need to do. Is go over there house with your guitar. Ask them what they want to hear. Then try and play it.

Step two:
You probably are gonna suck so yeah. Your gonna get nervous and stuff. Just tell them this "I really dont suck guys im just nervous playing infront of people" They will probably think "yeah right he really does suck", but what they think doesnt matter (thats important to remember).

Step three:
After sucking so long playing for like 20 mins or so. In front of them they will eventually stop listening to you, and stop paying any attention. This is where my solution comes in.

Step Four:
Since well there not paying attention and they already think you suck. Then just play, You can only go up from this spot biggrin.gif. Play some random stuff you know, dont take anymore requests. After you do that for a while. Your freinds will probably tune in and out. And you wont know it.

Step Five:
After doing all this for about and 1 hour or so. Youll become more comfortable playign in front of them, and eventuallly they will start paying attention again, and you just wont know it. Because you will be in yoru own little world when it happens. IF you just kind of sit there and play.

Step Six:
Then after you stop playing, and there like "Dang I guess you are pretty good", youll be like I told you. And then BOOM. It will happen. Youll just be like check out this lick. Then bust out some hardcore stuff.

Hmm this is kind of a rough explanation of it, but ill just put it simple:

You play, they think you suck (then they stop paying attention) You notice that. So then you cant make yourself any worse. Play random stuff. They will tune back in. And you wont know it. Then you wil thin to yourself. I guess i can play in front of people.

GO INTO YOUR OWN LITTLE WORLD.

Thats how I took my first steps in front of people. Just going into my own little world. I didnt have to worry about drums, or the bass, or anything. I just started playing. Then it just hit me. So yeah, this is kind of way to just start out.

Remember it doesnt matter what they think. IF its good to you, then it is good!!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
RobM
post Sep 1 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2.353

QUOTE (Ryan @ Sep 1 2007, 02:24 AM) *
I HAVE A VERY GOOD SOLUTION TO THIS.

This helped me tons to play in front of atleast my friends so far.

Step one:
What you need to do. Is go over there house with your guitar. Ask them what they want to hear. Then try and play it.

Step two:
You probably are gonna suck so yeah. Your gonna get nervous and stuff. Just tell them this "I really dont suck guys im just nervous playing infront of people" They will probably think "yeah right he really does suck", but what they think doesnt matter (thats important to remember).

Step three:
After sucking so long playing for like 20 mins or so. In front of them they will eventually stop listening to you, and stop paying any attention. This is where my solution comes in.

Step Four:
Since well there not paying attention and they already think you suck. Then just play, You can only go up from this spot biggrin.gif. Play some random stuff you know, dont take anymore requests. After you do that for a while. Your freinds will probably tune in and out. And you wont know it.

Step Five:
After doing all this for about and 1 hour or so. Youll become more comfortable playign in front of them, and eventuallly they will start paying attention again, and you just wont know it. Because you will be in yoru own little world when it happens. IF you just kind of sit there and play.

Step Six:
Then after you stop playing, and there like "Dang I guess you are pretty good", youll be like I told you. And then BOOM. It will happen. Youll just be like check out this lick. Then bust out some hardcore stuff.

Hmm this is kind of a rough explanation of it, but ill just put it simple:

You play, they think you suck (then they stop paying attention) You notice that. So then you cant make yourself any worse. Play random stuff. They will tune back in. And you wont know it. Then you wil thin to yourself. I guess i can play in front of people.
GO INTO YOUR OWN LITTLE WORLD.

Thats how I took my first steps in front of people. Just going into my own little world. I didnt have to worry about drums, or the bass, or anything. I just started playing. Then it just hit me. So yeah, this is kind of way to just start out.

Remember it doesnt matter what they think. IF its good to you, then it is good!!!

I get what your saying, I guess the problem really is I can play good (for me anyway) when I don't think about it, as soon as I'm playing in front or with someone I start to think about what I'm playing and then i can't do it any more. I've noticed that recently and try to tune people out, I guess I have to try harder at tuning them out unless I just want to play for myself, lol.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
kahall
post Sep 1 2007, 01:05 PM
Post #9

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.393

I am sending a note home to all your families...

"Does Not Play well with others."

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
post Sep 1 2007, 01:19 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.697

Play for that person like you are trying to impress them smile.gif thats what i always do with my guitar teacher at home and everything sounds great.. when im doing scales as sum stupid slow tempo and he starts double picking each note i start double picking each note.. its really just not as much comfort level as not caring:) your gunna be as good as you are weather ppl are listening or not.. if you can't play infront of 1 person how are you ever gunna play live ohmy.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Ryan
post Sep 1 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1.345

QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Sep 1 2007, 07:19 AM) *
Play for that person like you are trying to impress them smile.gif thats what i always do with my guitar teacher at home and everything sounds great.. when im doing scales as sum stupid slow tempo and he starts double picking each note i start double picking each note.. its really just not as much comfort level as not caring:) your gunna be as good as you are weather ppl are listening or not.. if you can't play infront of 1 person how are you ever gunna play live ohmy.gif

That way can be kinda risky, because that can make you really nervous trying to impress people. All you need to do is practice, then be for damn sure of your skills, of what you can and cannot do at the moment. And then you should be able to play just fine!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Hardtail
post Sep 2 2007, 09:40 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 1.967

QUOTE (RobM @ Aug 31 2007, 09:32 PM) *
When I practice at home I do pretty good, i always use the metronome and can keep time with what I'm suposed to be playing (I'm still between 80 - 100 bpm on most things but I'm slowly improving since fathers day). My problem seems to be when I go to my guitar class i always seem to not be able to play in front of and/or with my teacher?

It's slight performance anxiety most likely. I am a singer/guitarist and have just recently realized I get major performance anxiety because of my singing. The most recent band I played in already had 2 good singers so I sat back and played guitar and WHOAH I played a whole lot better because guitar doesn't give me anxiety.

It's an attitude thing. A little tip that helps: Instead of worrying about what others might think of your playing... play with the intent of melting their faces off. Confidence in your playing need not be arrogant. But too much shyness and humility subconsciously sets yourself up for failure... it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

One last tip... Jam with people that are on your skill level or a little better... jamming with a pro can be very heartbreaking if they don't have a teachers heart.

Hardtail

This post has been edited by Hardtail: Sep 2 2007, 09:41 AM

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Sep 4 2007, 07:39 AM
Post #13

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

QUOTE (Hardtail @ Sep 2 2007, 02:40 AM) *
One last tip... Jam with people that are on your skill level or a little better... jamming with a pro can be very heartbreaking if they don't have a teachers heart.

Hardtail

As Hardtail says most good teachers will be there to support and advance you rather then trying to blow you away.

Two bits I do with students (ok philosophy students rather then guitar) is I ask them to start and once they are comfortable/warmed up to signal me to come in; slightly differently they ask me questions on the week's topic and test out understanding rather then me asking them... I like Andrew's theory thread as he answers far more questions then he asks - great way of teaching what people actually need/want to know.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th March 2017 - 04:26 AM