Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Key, what key to play
jdiamond
post Sep 11 2007, 03:33 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.750

I dont completely understand keys. If I am going to make up my own lead for a song (slide it in - whitesnake) and the rhythm is G F# E D E. Can I play in a specific key of say the blues scale or do I have to move around not sure how that works.

thank you very much

Jeff
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Sep 12 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #2

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (jdiamond @ Sep 10 2007, 10:33 PM) *
I dont completely understand keys. If I am going to make up my own lead for a song (slide it in - whitesnake) and the rhythm is G F# E D E. Can I play in a specific key of say the blues scale or do I have to move around not sure how that works.

thank you very much

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Easiest way is to try and identify a scale that all the chords or notes belong to. In the case of this song part you have pointed out, the guitar solo is indeed, G F#, E- all notes in the Key of E minor, confirmed by the fact that the E seems to be the note the song wants to return to, making it the home key or root of the scale. So, from that you can deduce that E minor would be a good scale to use, but since this is rock, E pentatonic might be a better choice smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
jdiamond
post Sep 12 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #3

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.750

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 12 2007, 04:41 AM) *
Hi Jeff,

Easiest way is to try and identify a scale that all the chords or notes belong to. In the case of this song part you have pointed out, the guitar solo is indeed, G F#, E- all notes in the Key of E minor, confirmed by the fact that the E seems to be the note the song wants to return to, making it the home key or root of the scale. So, from that you can deduce that E minor would be a good scale to use, but since this is rock, E pentatonic might be a better choice smile.gif

that makes sense I appreciate it.

thanks

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2017 - 10:00 AM