Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ringing Ears?
J.E.
post Sep 29 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #41

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.375

Ive heard that if you were your headphones on and put your ipod on the telley your ears will explode (edit) NOT JOKING!!! it has happened you seriously lose your hearing so my advice do not wear an ipod near the telley!

--------------------
Can you imagine?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
post Sep 29 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 1.897

O.o where did u hear that mumbo?

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
post Sep 30 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #43

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.062

QUOTE (Jarl Emil @ Sep 29 2007, 03:56 PM) *
Ive heard that if you were your headphones on and put your ipod on the telley your ears will explode (edit) NOT JOKING!!! it has happened you seriously lose your hearing so my advice do not wear an ipod near the telley!

whats a telley? huh.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
botoxfox
post Sep 30 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 1.226

I think he means TV.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Oct 11 2010, 04:23 AM
Post #45

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 9.801

I went to a concert last night. I don't think I plugged my ears enough with my fingers. I only did it about half the time. (I forgot my earplugs. sad.gif ) My left ear is still ringing a little. It's not really bad, but I can hear it. We were only 4 rows away from the stage...and the PA system was blasting in my left ear from above. (I was turned towards my right to face the stage.) I hope it goes away. It's not anything extreme, but it is annoying...it's really, really high pitched - almost out my range of hearing. It's just audible enough. It worries me.

This was only my second concert. I didn't think it would have this much of an impact on my ears. How do others get away with it? Or seem to....Last night was more extreme for my ears since I was right by the speakers; even though this was not as heavy. At my first concert I was way in the back.

I tell you what...I'm gonna be A LOT more careful from now on. And hopefully it will be gone by tomorrow. It's been about 23 hours since the concert ended.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
post Oct 11 2010, 04:46 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 6.965

Loud noises if prolonged and then quiet your get a ringing in the ear 'Tinnitus' and sometimes even dizziness 'vertigo', can cause damage but normally temporary.

I suggest if using those crappy standard ipod earphones which came with the device to replace them with in-ear earphones (can be costly but either that or a huge headphones set). Your'll get way better quality sound and bass, be able to half the volume and still hear it as clearly and loudly as those old ones on max. Just be aware they might feel wierd and hard to get use to wearing correctly inside the ears at first and don't get run over when crossing the road (they block a lot of external noise).

As for the stage, use monitoring headphones like Paul Gilbert? smile.gif

I suggest the 'HEAROS High Fidelity Ear Plug Series' if you want something not so out-there but still lets you follow the music.

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Sollesnes
post Oct 11 2010, 07:00 AM
Post #47

Learning Tone Master

Member No.: 6.623

It'll go away. Just remember your earplugs next time (seeing you said you own a pair). smile.gif

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
post Oct 11 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #48

GMC Coordinator & Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.075

Sad to say it but I have a constant ringing in my right ear. When I go to see my favorite bands, I always end up in the front row.

I went to see Manowar a few years ago and I was in the front row, left side, just infront of the bass cabs. It was so loud that I couldn't hear anything, and I remember I even got dizzy. The ringing went away in 2-3 days, but I started touring with Wisdom, and somehow I never used ear protection, except for a single gig, but it was terrible to hear all the mistakes we did so I threw it out. Now I got constant ringing, but also practice more, so I am wearing protection almost all the time while rehersing, and planning to wear on gigs as well.

I think I will go to see a doctor, there might be new solutions to this problem.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Oct 11 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #49

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (Zsolt Galambos @ Oct 11 2010, 01:14 PM) *
I think I will go to see a doctor, there might be new solutions to this problem.

Don't keep your hopes up sad.gif

I did that since I experiences I had a hearing loss on my left ear. Which always used to face our drummer and his crash. All they could say was that I had a hearing loss in a small frequency span.
Reminds me I have to get even better ear plugs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
post Oct 11 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #50

Group Icon

Thanks, man. I think I should go for this Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, it might help. I hear that it's way too expensive in the USA, tho, I'll check it here in Hungary.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 11 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #51

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Ringing in your ears is a sign of permanent hearing damage. You may get most of it back after a bit of time, say a few days after a loud concert, but some of your hearing is gone for good. The high frequency range is the first to go. You only get one pair of ears so it's crucial to take care of them. Wear ear plugs if you are going to a show or even going to band practice. I went without them for a while and I've had my hearing tested since and yup I"m missing some frequencies that I should still have. Your hearing gets a bit worse by itself over time but theres not reason to speed up the process.

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 11 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #52

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Ringing in your ears is a sign of permanent hearing damage. You may get most of it back after a bit of time, say a few days after a loud concert, but some of your hearing is gone for good. The high frequency range is the first to go. You only get one pair of ears so it's crucial to take care of them. Wear ear plugs if you are going to a show or even going to band practice. I went without them for a while and I've had my hearing tested since and yup I"m missing some frequencies that I should still have. Your hearing gets a bit worse by itself over time but theres not reason to speed up the process.

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Oct 11 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #53

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 9.801

I think the ringing is gone. smile.gif I don't think I hear it. I'm so happy! But I know I lost some hearing.... sad.gif

This post has been edited by thefireball: Oct 11 2010, 10:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
post Oct 11 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #54

Group Icon

I'll definitely use protection. And I think some of my hearing is damaged, but, somehow, I have a strong belief that it can be healed, so I'll just follow my intuition on that. smile.gif

And thanx for your advice, I'll stick to that biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 11 2010, 04:51 PM) *

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman79
post Oct 11 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #55

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.782

When I was doing a lot of band work I forked out £150 on a set of custom earplugs.

They're amzing you can hear everything perfectly just 20 or 40db lower.

Anyone who plays in a band at all often should def invest.

I can't see the point in ear defenders, you can't hear a thing, those xmas tree ones are pretty usless...

I would wear over ear headphones when listening to an ipod those tiny speakers a few mm away from your ear drums can't be good!

At the end of the day your a guitarist, you need your fingers and your ears, you wouldn't go banging your fingers with a hammer so why do the same to your ears??

+Quote Post
Sollesnes
post Oct 11 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #56

Learning Tone Master

Member No.: 6.623

I use Alpine Ear Protection, they're great smile.gif I'm sure these custom ones are absolutely awesome though, but I'll wait til my new band is up and gigging again smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2017 - 08:37 AM