> Your Opportunity To Beat Me To Death, enjoy yourself doing it
fkalich
post Sep 19 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 18 2007, 04:57 PM) *
First kudos for stepping up to the plate fkalich!

As everyone seems to have said for someone whose been playing for 12 months this was good. I'd say that as a positive it reminded me of Clapton and Cream around the 'Crossroads' era (indeed in places it made me think of Crossroads) - so that has to be a good base from which to start.

Tone wise - well the i-River is a nice MP# but as you know yourself it isn't ideal. On my pc the recording sound unduly compressed and I think that's more down to the i-river then anything. One quick way round this might be to use ogg-vorbis/flac which that mp3 player supports - although you may then run into compatibility problems when sharing. I'd strongly recommend investing in a decent sound card which can handle a line and HiZ input and recording your guitar/amp on to your pc via Reaper or something similar.

Tone from the amp - well it's largely subjective but to me your's sounded a little brittle - needs a more musical sustain... Hard to describe in words but assuming your after the Clapton/Cream era type sound your od is a bit harsh/brittle. Also I may be wrong but when the solo started proper I don't think you changed guitar volume at all - most guitar players tend to do this but you can get a lot of variety by changing the guitar volume on an overdriven amp - possible to go from clean through to od. This sort of thing can add a bit more interest to the solo for the listener.

Bends - yes they do need a bit of work to get to the right pitch. Also to me some of the timing issues seemed to be bend related - sometimes you start a bend on a beat only to finish out of sync; sometimes you start out of sync and finish out. Bit more work with the metronome will sort it and similarly some more practice of bending to pitch. As a suggestion - not sure I heard any pre-bends or double note bends - if not try a few as they can add a bit of variety. Maybe also try slow bends that then sustain with vibrato over a couple of beats.

Dynamics - again this may be more due to the i-river then anything else but - as with changing the guitar volume - add a bit of dynamic interest as at the moment the recording to me is a little flat. Try to get some of the key/target notes to jump out of the mix a bit more. I'd also suggest that you put some silence in - don't be afraid of silence in a solo, gives the audience time to catch up.

Composition - most of the time I could see where you were going and as I said for a lot of it it did remind me of EC/Cream, so well done. There were some particularly nice bits where you were sort of paraphrasing EC. I think that's good as for any listener whose heard EC it provides a great. You might however like to 'quote' a few others though: have a look at say Robben Ford as on a long solo Ford is particularly good at holding interest my moving away from tried and trusted blues scales.

Overall though I'd say it was a very good solo for someone who's played 12 months smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

ps - trivia - used to have an i-river as well until my wife put it in the washing machine sad.gif .

Anyway thanks for thoughtful comments, all inputs into the next go round. I would appreciate you taking a listen to that with the others mentioned, when I resubmit it in a week or so.

I will be interested if you feel that the out of synch factor is really there, or if it was a matter of no backing bass player. I have played this against a backing track and it seems to me that it all fills in, I do think EC did that sort of thing on his recording, and this is a cover as far as I am concerned here. I have wondered before if he just screwed up, and I am imitating his screw up, but I doubt it. I don't think he would have put that on the album if that were the case. But I will be interested if when I resubmit it, how you feel about it then, with the backing track playing. I could be misinterpreting this.

I will look into Robben Ford.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Sep 19 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #22

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

Ok, I'll get this bit out of the way first ...

That was really excellent, don't see how you could have improved it smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Ok, feel better now - I think others have covered this well, the things that stood out for me:

Good : I liked your tone, and it sounds like someone much more experienced than one year, and I give you a lot of credit for posting this.

Not so good : Recording was a little unclear, some of the bends were off, and the timing wasnlt 100% (but I didn't think disastrous).

I eagerly await the rematch and hopefuly I'll get to comment before everyone else this time.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Sep 19 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 18 2007, 06:03 PM) *
Ok, I'll get this bit out of the way first ...

That was really excellent, don't see how you could have improved it smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Ok, feel better now - I think others have covered this well, the things that stood out for me:

Good : I liked your tone, and it sounds like someone much more experienced than one year, and I give you a lot of credit for posting this.

Not so good : Recording was a little unclear, some of the bends were off, and the timing wasnlt 100% (but I didn't think disastrous).

I eagerly await the rematch and hopefuly I'll get to comment before everyone else this time.

Thanks, I have pretty much ignored tone issues up to now. I kind of viewed them like a shave and a hair cut, things I could address later, but clearly, the rest of the world does not look at it that way. Everyone's advise was good. Lets see if I can put that to work.

And Andrew, I promise from now on to be nicer here. This is the fkalich, not the mean nasty fkalich, the new generally decent guy. You know, every night I do some serious exercise, pretty much always have, used to do triathlons. And generally towards the end, I talk to God. Not any denomination, more just as somebody out there that I answer to, that I am answerable to, my God. And I promise to try to do the right things. And I should do that here to, think before I say something, I mean, what would that God I talk to about 20 minutes into my exercise routine say? So anyway, you guys have been nice, I will try to turn over a new leaf. I mean, be an occasional smart ass, not going to give that up totally, but think about it a bit first, and only go for very high quality smart ass material, that has general approval.

And I will appreciate your looking at the resubmission, when I do that.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Sep 19 2007, 12:32 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 1.243

QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 18 2007, 03:13 PM) *
Thanks, I have pretty much ignored tone issues up to now. I kind of viewed them like a shave and a hair cut, things I could address later, but clearly, the rest of the world does not look at it that way. Everyone's advise was good. Lets see if I can put that to work.

And Andrew, I promise from now on to be nicer here. This is the fkalich, not the mean nasty fkalich, the new generally decent guy. You know, every night I do some serious exercise, pretty much always have, used to do triathlons. And generally towards the end, I talk to God. Not any denomination, more just as somebody out there that I answer to, that I am answerable to, my God. And I promise to try to do the right things. And I should do that here to, think before I say something, I mean, what would that God I talk to about 20 minutes into my exercise routine say? So anyway, you guys have been nice, I will try to turn over a new leaf. I mean, be an occasional smart ass, not going to give that up totally, but think about it a bit first, and only go for very high quality smart ass material, that has general approval.

You know dude im not going to lie. Sometimes you did say some really mean stuff. And although you were trying to just be straightfoward because you think thats the problem with the society and I understand that and somewhat agree myself, you did take it a little to far. I feel no one should be lied to but at the same time noone should be diminished because there not quite there yet . Its so nice to see this change of heart in you and I think the forum just got a hell of alot nicer. But bare in mind, we still like a little taste of the nasty fkalich tongue.gif

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Jeff
post Sep 19 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 706

You have been "shown no mercy" so far so I don't think I can add anything constructive that others haven't said. I'll say that you've got some stones for putting this up to criticism and asking for the absolute honest truth! Not because I think it's bad, it's just intimidating. I feel pretty stupid about writing lyrics and putting my "stuff" out there too because there are thousands of people on this site and I honestly don't think I'm that good. But, sometimes you've got to say "screw-it and do-it". People will certainly provide you feedback to help you improve and that's the goal here. As time goes on you can see a progress in your playing so in the long run it is worth it.

As far as this particular song goes, I hear some good riffs and some bad riffs. It sounds more like a straight forward jam session to me and not particularly scripted. I do hear Clapton in there. smile.gif I would say to break your playing up into smaller parts and practice it that way and then put it all together. With regards to tone, there really is no way that I can make an honest assessment because of the recording equipment that you are using and the computer that I am using to listening to it. I'm sure the tone is much better with you playing it live there and you would need better equipment to capture what you are after.

I am not qualified to instruct anyone on how to play, but after only 12 months of playing and you are playing like this.., well that's pretty impressive to me.

+Quote Post
Ryan
post Sep 19 2007, 01:16 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 1.345

QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 18 2007, 03:33 PM) *
Sg's have suppppppppppper fast necks smile.gif But you could always put your dress and lipstick on and play a ibanez? Only kidding tongue.gif I like ibanez but im sure Ill get flamed. tongue.gif

* Anxiously awaits for an improved recording biggrin.gif *

- John

What the hell lol Thats like jumping into a shark pit saying that on GMC ahah

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Sep 19 2007, 01:21 AM
Post #27

QUOTE (Ryan @ Sep 18 2007, 04:16 PM) *
What the hell lol Thats like jumping into a shark pit saying that on GMC ahah

I hope Pavel only takes it as a joke sad.gif , Pretty soon Ill be practicing one of his lessons and then will be kicked off for no reason and a messege will come up saying " You are Banned from Pavel's lessons for being cruel to the Ibanez gods, every body on Gmc is now a little bit more stupid for reading your post . May god have mercy on your soul. " sad.gif unsure.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Sep 19 2007, 01:21 AM

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Sep 19 2007, 01:40 AM
Post #28

QUOTE (jeff @ Sep 18 2007, 06:49 PM) *
You have been "shown no mercy" so far so I don't think I can add anything constructive that others haven't said. I'll say that you've got some stones for putting this up to criticism and asking for the absolute honest truth! Not because I think it's bad, it's just intimidating. I feel pretty stupid about writing lyrics and putting my "stuff" out there too because there are thousands of people on this site and I honestly don't think I'm that good. But, sometimes you've got to say "screw-it and do-it". People will certainly provide you feedback to help you improve and that's the goal here. As time goes on you can see a progress in your playing so in the long run it is worth it.

As far as this particular song goes, I hear some good riffs and some bad riffs. It sounds more like a straight forward jam session to me and not particularly scripted. I do hear Clapton in there. smile.gif I would say to break your playing up into smaller parts and practice it that way and then put it all together. With regards to tone, there really is no way that I can make an honest assessment because of the recording equipment that you are using and the computer that I am using to listening to it. I'm sure the tone is much better with you playing it live there and you would need better equipment to capture what you are after.

I am not qualified to instruct anyone on how to play, but after only 12 months of playing and you are playing like this.., well that's pretty impressive to me.

Thanks.

I did play it against his recording or crossroads on wheels of fire. I do have the timings, I am in synch with him, don't need much work on that, that will be fine using a backing track with bass playing. But all the other stuff you guys said, is stuff I need to work on, and I appreciate your candid advice. I fully agree, that is how i have come to work, breaking it into small pieces, as you said. That I think is the way to go.

And as with others, I will appreciate your giving it a listen when I feel I have a tolerable cover of wheels of fire crossroads, which is my goal here. I won't submit it until I feel I have that, and we will see how you all feel at that time, whether you agree that it is a tolerable cover, and not one that would make MickieM go leave the club and go get a beer somewhere.

QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 18 2007, 07:21 PM) *
I hope Pavel only takes it as a joke sad.gif , Pretty soon Ill be practicing one of his lessons and then will be kicked off for no reason and a messege will come up saying " You are Banned from Pavel's lessons for being cruel to the Ibanez gods, every body on Gmc is now a little bit more stupid for reading your post . May god have mercy on your soul. " sad.gif unsure.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif

I'm back to the Les Paul. Don't care if it is harder, just got to be a Les Paul. Although using my studio with the 490 498 pickups for this project, much better suited for this than the burstbuckers.

Let me say, just because I love Les Pauls, and myself feel that well they just are special, that does not mean that they are better, and I fully respect all that play Ibanez.

signed, the new and nicer fkalich

real men play les pauls. cool.gif

This post has been edited by fkalich: Sep 19 2007, 02:43 AM

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Sep 19 2007, 06:23 AM
Post #29

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 19 2007, 02:40 AM) *

Can't argue with that!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Sep 19 2007, 08:46 AM
Post #30

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 18 2007, 06:40 PM) *
I love Les Pauls

+1
and plenty of other guitar players are with us on this one cool.gif

Cheers,
Tony
(albeit my spelling isn't tonight - edited for spelling)

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Sep 19 2007, 08:47 AM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Robin
post Sep 19 2007, 09:16 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 1.061

QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 19 2007, 12:40 AM) *

When I get rich I'll be a real man aswell biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Sep 19 2007, 06:25 PM
Post #32

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 18 2007, 07:13 PM) *

Honestly, just notch it back about 5% - the remaining 95% is all good, and usually highly amusing and/or informative smile.gif

you got it.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Sep 19 2007, 08:18 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Robin @ Sep 19 2007, 12:16 AM) *
When I get rich I'll be a real man aswell biggrin.gif

Same here , but then again I dont want back problems blink.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2017 - 06:14 PM