Total Votes: 3
Guests cannot vote 
jammer91
post Oct 30 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.041

Im buying a USED boss gt-8 from a person i barely know for about $300. The real price i think is about $445.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bos...ssor?sku=151422

He claims its in good condition (and fom the pics it is). I cant test it out since were metting at a gig and im buying it there.

If its in good condition and all do you think i should buy it or buy a brand new POD XT?

THe gt-8 seems to be a better pedal (parallel to POD X3)

I need your advice and wisdom guys.

Thanks

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Oct 30 2007, 07:18 AM
Post #2

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

If it's working it look like a good deal m8.

BUT make sure it works if you can - plug in and play a bit if possible. The GT is pretty robust but I've a heard a few stories of people frying the eprom chip when they have bodged the OS update. That's not a complete disaster btw but it's a pain to correct. FWIW I dropped mine down a flight of stairs when I moved house. Small dent on the housing but it works like new.

If you buy it then wander over to here - there's lots of good advice on how to set it up etc and patches you can get.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
post Oct 30 2007, 07:20 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2.523

Get the GT-8

I had one but I sent it back because I also got the Digitech GNX4, I wish I kept that rolleyes.gif , I think i'll buy it again eventually.

+Quote Post
jammer91
post Oct 30 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Oct 30 2007, 10:20 AM) *
Get the GT-8

I had one but I sent it back because I also got the Digitech GNX4, I wish I kept that rolleyes.gif , I think i'll buy it again eventually.

Does the Gt-8 allow you to download presets like line6 does in www.customtone.com?

Im a tone noob and with a variety of distortion models and effects im bound to get confused to maybe i could find some site with setting presets.

--------------------

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Oct 30 2007, 08:20 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Yes you can download and install user patches Jammer. A good site (with an explanation of how to write them to the GT8) is in my other post above.

Maybe the main thing to be aware of here is that patches are sysex files and are transferred between pc and gt8, and vice versa, via midi.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
jammer91
post Oct 30 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #6

Thanks a lot Tony. Im sorta sure i with the Gt-8 now. It seems to be good (perfect for me and well worth the price).

Will it come with a midi cable?

What is the disadvantage of midi file transfer?

And i dont really understand what you have to use to record with this (it does not have USB out)...

--------------------

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Oct 30 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Probably won't come with midi cables Jammer - they're cheap and easy to get though.

Only disadvantage of a midi transfer that I can think of is that you need midi in/out between the gt8 and pc - check whether or not your pc has a midi interface, if it hasn't then you'll need one to do this. Midi interfaces for pcs are pretty cheap and a lot of soundcards have them. You also can't easily read a midi sysex file - it would look like garbage, even once the files is translated to ASCII you need to know midi to interpret it. Big advantage of sysex here though is that the file sizes are tiny. Somewhere on that site there is however a neat tool that emulates the gt8 layout on the pc so you can edit on the pc rather then with the gt8 if you want.

Recording with the gt8 - there is line out on jacks and digital but no usb or firewire transfer. The gt8 is marketed by Roland as more a mulltifx/studio tool and I think the reasoning here from Roland is that you would already have a sound card/audio interface or take it direct into a mixer or in to a guitar amp either via line or digital.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2017 - 01:50 PM