shredmandan
post Oct 30 2007, 05:25 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.260

hey all
I was wondering if this was possible or worth it

My frets on this guitar i have are uncomfortable,maybe its just even the neck.I was thinking is it possible to file down the frets on a fretboard to make them not as large?I wouldnt do it myself ofcourse but just wondering if anybody does this .When you have a dead fret on a guitar sometimes you have to file down a fret to fix that problem but im talking about doing them all laugh.gif .I just like smaller frets and these have to be like extra jumbo size.

Let me know if any of you have heard of this and if you think it can work,being done by a proffesional

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Oct 30 2007, 05:47 AM
Post #2

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (shredmandan @ Oct 30 2007, 05:25 AM) *
hey all
I was wondering if this was possible or worth it

My frets on this guitar i have are uncomfortable,maybe its just even the neck.I was thinking is it possible to file down the frets on a fretboard to make them not as large?I wouldnt do it myself ofcourse but just wondering if anybody does this .When you have a dead fret on a guitar sometimes you have to file down a fret to fix that problem but im talking about doing them all laugh.gif .I just like smaller frets and these have to be like extra jumbo size.

Let me know if any of you have heard of this and if you think it can work,being done by a proffesional

It's possible to change the frets entierly and put in a smaller kind.

I'd suggest you don't file them since that likely would end in a catastrophy and in worst case you'd had to change the frets all over anyway since they wouldn't be playable.
Filing frets is just for very tiny fine adjustment and not to get what you're looking for, which is a brand new set. It's unlikely you'd manage to file them all to the exact same size. Not that I question your filing abilities, I'm sure you're a teriffic filer, I'm just questioning if that's the kind of work the human race would be capable of, filing all frets to a difference less than a fraction of a millimeter.
tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maximus
post Oct 30 2007, 05:52 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2.592

QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 29 2007, 11:47 PM) *
It's possible to change the frets entierly and put in a smaller kind.

I'd suggest you don't file them since that likely would end in a catastrophy and in worst case you'd had to change the frets all over anyway since they wouldn't be playable.
Filing frets is just for very tiny fine adjustment and not to get what you're looking for, which is a brand new set. It's unlikely you'd manage to file them all to the exact same size. Not that I question your filing abilities, I'm sure you're a teriffic filer, I'm just questioning if that's the kind of work the human race would be capable of, filing all frets to a difference less than a fraction of a millimeter.
tongue.gif

I'm with Micke. The task of getting every fret filed to such fine tolerance would be a very tricky proposition. I would think the chance for disater would be too great. I guess if you feel that the guitar is nearly unusable without modification you could give it a whirl but if you have any real attachment to it you might want to leave such things to professionals. good Luck.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Oct 30 2007, 07:55 AM
Post #4

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

+1 with MickeM and Maximus.

I had a friend who many years ago filed the frets down on his J Bass because he wanted a fretless. Cost him a whole lot more getting a luthier to pull the frets after he finished then if he had paid the guy to do the job properly in the first place.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
post Oct 30 2007, 08:02 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1.260

Thanks guys you gotta good point smile.gif

I just knew that people filled frets when there were minor problems and though maybe it was possable,but i definatly see that filling each one the exact same way would be almost impossible.I think im just gonna have to try and get used to this neck for awhile .Thanks alll

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2017 - 02:22 PM