Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tunings And Scale Changes During A Solo
post Nov 1 2007, 06:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 871

ok. i was trying to play two great songs by Creed the other day. Weathered and My Own Prison. My Own Prison was Drop D tuning. When I tuned my E string to D, it got completely stretched out as if it would break. So really, since a lot of the songs I know and want to play are in Drop D tuning, how do i get that tuning without the string stretching so much?

Weathered was tuned DADADD. If I had trouble geting simply Drop D you know I had trouble with this one. What should I do to get this tune?

Final tuning problem is 1/2 step down. I have a really cheap tuner. With the 5 little circles and the blue dot that goes along the circles as you tune. I don't know how to determine if its a half step down or not.

Finally, not a subject related to tuning and my last for a while, is about solos. I am currently writing songs for my bands first album, we are going to put the songs on myspace first though. I have all the riffs and Choruses down. When I do a Solo, say in the E Major Scale, and then the chorus riff switches power chords often. When do I need to change scales or can I stay in the same one all the time?

All help appreciated.

"Baptized in a firefight. Hot blood running cold as ice. 44 minutes of target practice. All hell's breaking loose.
Outgunned. Watching the force come to a firefight with a pocket knife.
Getting schooled until they shot Achilles' heel and brought down the beast."
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Nov 1 2007, 06:28 AM
Post #2

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

For drop D, you tune the E string DOWN 2 semitones, sounds like you were tuning it up?

Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
+Quote Post
post Nov 1 2007, 06:34 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1.179

yeah because when tuning to d your e string should not be streching it should actualy be doing the opposite

my gear: epiphone sg special, Marshall mg100dfx, digitech df-7 distortion factory
+Quote Post
post Nov 1 2007, 06:45 AM
Post #4

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

Then about the DADADD (which I never heard of before) I suppose if you start from a Drop D tuning
- tune up the G string to A
- tune up the B string to D
- tune down the E string to D

...I guess ...if I got it right huh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2016 - 07:19 AM