Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Job In A Music Store (us)
purple hayes
post Nov 5 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Ultimate Guitar Hero

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.712

I stopped by local music store (Music and Arts / musicarts.com ) yesterday to get a slide. They didn't have one, but I did meet the manager. I used to work with his wife in a restaurant about 12 years ago, so I kinda knew him and he kinda knew me.

He was bemoaning the lack of good help around the store, so I asked for an application and his business card. I'm wondering roughly how much a local music store pays for part-time help and what the work experience is like.

A little bit of background on me:
- I have a full-time job that pays the bills and has great benefits. I have no intention of leaving. I just need some extra work or I get a little stir crazy. I mow lawns during the summer, but it's fall/winter here, so that's ending.

If I'm just looking to make some extra side money, would this job workout for me if the scheduling was right?

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Erik Johnson
post Nov 6 2007, 02:07 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 2.095

Sounds like a good chance to pull up some extra money and have a great time. I would love to work at a music store!

I think you should find out how much he would pay, and see what hours he'd be asking for.

I hope you can work there if you can! It sounds like it would be really fun.

Good luck,

// Erik

--------------------
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl)
...you will have taken your very first steps towards Johnson land...

Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Modified), Yamaha Pacifica (Black; modified with different humbuckers and a few other things)

Equipment: Vox DA5 Digital Amp (It's a little weak, but fun nonetheless), Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Wishlist: An Ibanez RG Model, and a yummy Pavel and Andrew Cockburn JEM.. Mmmm. I'd also love a Marshall Stack. That'd be awesome. :D

+Quote Post
lefty01
post Nov 6 2007, 02:23 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1.271

QUOTE (purple hayes @ Nov 5 2007, 04:12 PM) *
I stopped by local music store (Music and Arts / musicarts.com ) yesterday to get a slide. They didn't have one, but I did meet the manager. I used to work with his wife in a restaurant about 12 years ago, so I kinda knew him and he kinda knew me.

He was bemoaning the lack of good help around the store, so I asked for an application and his business card. I'm wondering roughly how much a local music store pays for part-time help and what the work experience is like.

A little bit of background on me:
- I have a full-time job that pays the bills and has great benefits. I have no intention of leaving. I just need some extra work or I get a little stir crazy. I mow lawns during the summer, but it's fall/winter here, so that's ending.

If I'm just looking to make some extra side money, would this job workout for me if the scheduling was right?

You should try it. I'm sure it will be more fun than mowing lawns. Look at it this way...you'll get an employee discount too. biggrin.gif Go for it!!

This post has been edited by lefty01: Nov 6 2007, 02:24 AM

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Nov 6 2007, 02:46 AM
Post #4

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

I guess we would all love to work at a music store. I think you should definitely try the job.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Animosity
post Nov 6 2007, 03:05 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1.644

Go for it! I would love to work in one myself... but there isn't a guitar shop in this awful town!

I know that at Guitar Center you get commission for the guitars you sell, so that could be a nice bonus to your paycheck, if this particular store does that as well!

+Quote Post
Erik Johnson
post Nov 6 2007, 03:14 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2.095

QUOTE (Animosity @ Nov 5 2007, 09:05 PM) *
Go for it! I would love to work in one myself... but there isn't a guitar shop in this awful town!

I know that at Guitar Center you get commission for the guitars you sell, so that could be a nice bonus to your paycheck, if this particular store does that as well!

True! I forgot about that. Commission is fantastic, just make sure not to press things on people. I hate it when someone pushes you to buy something. sad.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl)
...you will have taken your very first steps towards Johnson land...

Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Modified), Yamaha Pacifica (Black; modified with different humbuckers and a few other things)

Equipment: Vox DA5 Digital Amp (It's a little weak, but fun nonetheless), Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Wishlist: An Ibanez RG Model, and a yummy Pavel and Andrew Cockburn JEM.. Mmmm. I'd also love a Marshall Stack. That'd be awesome. :D

+Quote Post
purple hayes
post Nov 6 2007, 08:19 AM
Post #7

Ultimate Guitar Hero

Member No.: 2.712

I dropped off the application and my resume after I got off my day job, but the guy I knew wasn't there. Here's hoping for a phone call in the next couple of days.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
shredmandan
post Nov 6 2007, 08:23 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1.260

My opinion?
Minimum wage laugh.gif
Atleast around here you dont make anything working at a guitar shop,but you know what?I would almost do it for nothing cause it would be a job thats fun and working with one of the things i love most.Around here its very difficult to get a job at a music store,you just about have to already know the people .I would go for it 100% as it would be a really fun job that atleast you shouldnt dred going into smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Nov 6 2007, 08:23 AM
Post #9

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

Good luck with it - oh and when you get the job try not to spend all your money in there wink.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
post Nov 9 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.697

Heh at my guitar shop... i have no employees.. as of yet.. but when i start hirering i will probably pay minimum or 8$ an hour. Its hard to have large profit margins selling guitars *sigh*.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Nov 9 2007, 11:18 AM
Post #11

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Nov 9 2007, 04:00 AM) *
Heh at my guitar shop... i have no employees.. as of yet.. but when i start hirering i will probably pay minimum or 8$ an hour. Its hard to have large profit margins selling guitars *sigh*.

That makes you an evil capitalist wink.gif And I thought you were a nice guy ... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Animosity
post Nov 9 2007, 11:22 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 1.644

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 9 2007, 04:18 AM) *
That makes you an evil capitalist wink.gif And I thought you were a nice guy ... biggrin.gif

What do you expect? After all, it is an American thread.

rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Animosity: Nov 9 2007, 11:22 AM

+Quote Post
Soul_Decision
post Nov 9 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 2.823

Lol, Yeah we Americans are evil tongue.gif

--------------------
Push through all barriers.......Never self-limit.........Because there is none

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Nov 9 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2.159

Might be the great experience with adding extra buck in a pocket,why not. smile.gif
Just try not to steal anything cause it'll be calling you laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
post Nov 9 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 2.523

I may get a job at my local music store too. biggrin.gif My dad is friends with a guy who teaches lessons there and he was going to talk to him about it. He even tought my ad when he was younger.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017 - 02:27 AM