What Is That I Would Benifit More From., New amp. Or new guitar.
Tjchep
Nov 6 2007, 05:41 AM
GMC:er
I've made a guitar topic because I was almost positive that I was unhappy with my guitar..

But I'm really not sure now.

Current rig is pretty simple.. Schecter c1-+ into a Peavey windsor amp with a 2x12 with celestions GT-75's.

I'm really just asking for recommendations is all.. I'm mainly into to classical, neo-classical, rock (vai,satch), blues. And things of that sort.

So can anyone recommend me going to try out and specific guitars and amplifiers?

No specific price range.. just nothing ridiculous.

One more think.. I want a guitar with a Floyde rose.

I'm really just asking hypothetically.. as if I was getting a new guitar and amp.. But I'm really going to start seriously looking soon just want your guys opinions so I can catch all of those guitars or amps I would not have originally tried.

Thanks, TJ.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Nov 6 2007, 06:08 AM
SCHECTER IS AMAZING! just throwing that out there first of all. I absolutly love schecter you will find me ranting all over the fourms. I have a c1 as well and i cannot be happier. great tone awsome everything!. i would have to say as long as you have a real schecter c1 guitar is not your problem. Perhaps it lies with your strings or your amp. Perhaps an amp upgrade is in order. I also use a peavey for cleaner stuff. I use a Peavey Valve king and love the tone. Tubes are definatly the way to go. Peavey/Krank/marshall/laney. if you feel like adding more effects or distortion perhaps something like a randall or Line 6. Um basically you have a good setup perhaps get some ghs boomers for the schecter and see if you like it more.. i got these strings and am officially in love with them. They scream smile.gif. Really with a guitar like that my recommendation is a amp upgrade!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 6 2007, 07:57 PM
GHS Boomers are what came on the schecter, so if he's not pleased with the tone (and still on his first set of strings), I'd recommend a change. I've been really pleased with my Ernie Balls 10-46 on my schecter, and my RG for that matter (RG is my mainstay). So that's where I'd start first.

How loud are you playing your amp? Tube amps sound better when they're being pushed, maybe you should test out an attenuator?

The duncan design humbuckers in your C1+ probably also don't lend themselves to the style of music you're going for (I'm basically talking about Satch, Vai). DiMarzio's are in both of their guitars, and the DiMarzios are a little hotter and less prone to picking up interference (I don't know why but both my IBZs do no hum at times when my Schecter will). So that's another option, maybe swap one pickup on your C1+ to a DiMarzio (Evo for Vai, not sure what Satch is off the top of my head, Breed, maybe?). And that could be another possibly cheap way out (be spending <150 USD for part & install).

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Nov 7 2007, 01:45 AM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Nov 6 2007, 07:57 PM) *
GHS Boomers are what came on the schecter, so if he's not pleased with the tone (and still on his first set of strings), I'd recommend a change. I've been really pleased with my Ernie Balls 10-46 on my schecter, and my RG for that matter (RG is my mainstay). So that's where I'd start first.

How loud are you playing your amp? Tube amps sound better when they're being pushed, maybe you should test out an attenuator?

The duncan design humbuckers in your C1+ probably also don't lend themselves to the style of music you're going for (I'm basically talking about Satch, Vai). DiMarzio's are in both of their guitars, and the DiMarzios are a little hotter and less prone to picking up interference (I don't know why but both my IBZs do no hum at times when my Schecter will). So that's another option, maybe swap one pickup on your C1+ to a DiMarzio (Evo for Vai, not sure what Satch is off the top of my head, Breed, maybe?). And that could be another possibly cheap way out (be spending <150 USD for part & install).

Yeah I Use Ernie balls 10-46's on my schecter.. went through about 20 sets of strings on this guitar.. but I havent tried Boomers yet..

I was thinking about swapping out the pups for some DiMarzio's.

Funny that you say that.. my guitar picks up ALOT of interference.. very easily.. even when my laptop is on sleep its still humming away..

And When installing pickups can you mess up really bad? TO the point when you cant even use the guitar?

Because its either me spending 50 bucks to have someone else do it or.. me learn how to do it and then never have to pay anyone again..

I mean It takes the guy 10 minutes if that to do both of em.. so it cant be that hard... Right?

Thanks for the advice though.. I might try out an attenuator.. They are just so go da** expensive...

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 7 2007, 02:25 AM
My understanding is that if you're competent at soldering, then you can install passive pickups without any real big problem. Usually the techs are cool and will give you a decent price if you bother to ask. On my S, I was having it set up, strings changed, 2 Evo's installed. I got one guy to price it: 65$ to set it up + the string cost, 40$ a pick up + the price of pick ups. So we were looking at $145 in labor. I ended up paying the guy who installed it the price of both pick ups and strings, and then 65$ for the set up, basically getting them installed for free.

So you might call around and ask, it can't hurt. However, I told him I wanted low action and he set it so low that I would fret out after a quarter bend. I raised it on my own and it plays much much better now.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:53 PM