Andrew Cockburn
post Nov 8 2007, 03:28 AM
Post #21

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (blindwillie @ Nov 7 2007, 09:25 PM) *
True, I looked at MythTV and it looks impressive but I gave it up because of all the fiddling. And there was alot to fiddle with. For running 24 hour services I'd prefer linux apps since I already have some linux servers doing just that. They are great for "set it and leave it" stuff and they are shoved away in my garage so I'm not bothered by the noise. And they heat up the garage a bit biggrin.gif

Agreed on all points smile.gif TVesristy for linux would be just about perfect ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Owen
post Nov 8 2007, 03:38 AM
Post #22

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.113

I have never ever owned a game console.

Had a PC for about 10-11 years now though, even when my family was below the poverty line we had a pc before nearly everyone else.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
VinceG
post Nov 8 2007, 10:50 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 973

hmm seems like xbox 360 is the win for me. Im not too fond of Metal Gear so I could give less of crap out of that. My only "real" problem is the new GTA but I heard it going to launch on both consoles so thats a good thing.

What about the 3 ring of death? Are those only fund of the first wave of 360 or all of them to recent date?

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
AliMo
post Nov 8 2007, 11:12 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 1.889

Depends what you want out of it. If you want a system with lots of features other than just games than get the PS3, you can get a lot out of it. Personally I buy game systems to play games on, anything else I need I'll use my computer. If your in the same boat as me you shouldn't hesitate to buy the 360......... Halo3, Gear of War (Gears of War 2 coming out sometime soon), Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Huxley(gonna destroy every game known to man), plus lots of other great games, these are just the exclusives that come to mind. But like I said, if you want more out of it then just games, go for PS3, and it is still kinda early, maybe itll come out with some new stuff in the future.

BTW, if you go 360, my gamertag is AIiMo, hope to see u!

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG4EX1 - Schecter Spitfire-6

Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 30W

Effects: PodXT Live

IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Nov 8 2007, 11:54 AM
Post #25

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.304

I gotta buy PS3, Metal Gear Solid 4 calls me to its beacon, as does Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy VII

+Quote Post
SLASH91
post Nov 8 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 2.019

QUOTE (VinceG @ Nov 8 2007, 03:50 AM) *
hmm seems like xbox 360 is the win for me. Im not too fond of Metal Gear so I could give less of crap out of that. My only "real" problem is the new GTA but I heard it going to launch on both consoles so thats a good thing.

What about the 3 ring of death? Are those only fund of the first wave of 360 or all of them to recent date?

Not only is GTA launching on both consoles simultainiously, but I've heard that the 360 version will have exclusive content downloadable via Xbox Live. cool.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends" -
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Nov 8 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #27

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.001

Well i do dont play many games now due to guitar , but i do like them alot. If i had the choice between 360 and PS3, to be honest id take the PS3 due to the fact alot of people seem to have faults with the 360.

That said, id much rather have a super PC with top of the range graphics card biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
VinceG
post Nov 9 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #28

Does the 3 Red Ring light or whatever only happen on the first wave of 360?

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Nov 11 2007, 12:16 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 1.243

QUOTE (VinceG @ Nov 9 2007, 04:10 AM) *
Does the 3 Red Ring light or whatever only happen on the first wave of 360?

Ok well Im kinda a big gamer so Ill give you the run down. THe Xbox 360 team when they were releasing about a batch of 1,000,00 Xboxs the welding for one small chip in the Xbox was done " Half -Assed" . Hence The 3 red lights would eventually appear as a internal error because of the welding. Now , Microsoft ( being the responsable company that they are ) payed around 1,000,000,000 $ to fix the problem. Now I did have the 3 red lights. Had to send it in and wait a month to get it back. For the most part all the misfits Xbox's are repaired. But if this bothers you , you can simply by a xbox and return it once a month here and there ( but thats if your really worried about it, which you shouldnt be because its not even a big deal anymore.) The Xbox itself is a wayyyyyyyyyyy better system then PS3 is at the moment.

Xbox 360 has released hits like Gears of War
Call of Duty 4
Halo3
Bio Shock
Guitar Hero 3
Just to name a few.

And is also Releasing games that will be hits like Assasins Creed , This Tuesday
Grand Theft Auto 4
Mass Effect
Kayne and Lynch ( From the Makes of Hitman)

Ps3 does have better graphics and free online play but the games Suck and the online for the Xbox 360 and games are farrrrrrrrr better.

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Nov 11 2007, 12:17 AM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
SLASH91
post Nov 11 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #30

QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Nov 10 2007, 05:16 PM) *
Ok well Im kinda a big gamer so Ill give you the run down. THe Xbox 360 team when they were releasing about a batch of 1,000,00 Xboxs the welding for one small chip in the Xbox was done " Half -Assed" . Hence The 3 red lights would eventually appear as a internal error because of the welding. Now , Microsoft ( being the responsable company that they are ) payed around 1,000,000,000 $ to fix the problem. Now I did have the 3 red lights. Had to send it in and wait a month to get it back. For the most part all the misfits Xbox's are repaired. But if this bothers you , you can simply by a xbox and return it once a month here and there ( but thats if your really worried about it, which you shouldnt be because its not even a big deal anymore.) The Xbox itself is a wayyyyyyyyyyy better system then PS3 is at the moment.

Ps3 does have better graphics and free online play but the games Suck and the online for the Xbox 360 and games are farrrrrrrrr better.

Couldn't have summed it up better myself cool.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends" -
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
VinceG
post Nov 11 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #31

Ok slash so what your saying is any xbox that is out at the moment could be one of those fasrt-made batches or did they got there act together and started making quality 360's.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Nov 11 2007, 09:07 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
SLASH91
post Nov 11 2007, 11:02 AM
Post #32

QUOTE (VinceG @ Nov 11 2007, 02:07 AM) *
Ok slash so what your saying is any xbox that is out at the moment could be one of those fasrt-made batches or did they got there act together and started making quality 360's.

As I understand it, they are making higher quality Xbox 360s now, and as Eat Sleep Jam said, they spent $1,000,000,000 reimbursing the customers who got the ring of death. I'm one of these customers, and my new Xbox works perfectly, haven't had any screwups. So, I guess that it's possible to get a crappy 360, but you'd have to get pretty unlucky. You'd be taking a risk, but even if it was a piece of crap, you'd still get a new one which would probably work perfectly with no charge. I think that Microsoft also extended the warrenty to 2 years. Could be wrong about that, though.

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
VinceG
post Nov 11 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #33

ahh thank you Slash for the help. I will get a 360 then. I guess your not getting ripped off either way.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Nov 11 2007, 06:00 PM
Post #34

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.001

My nephew had a 360 for christmas, and it scored ALL his game discs blink.gif when his father phoned up microsoft to complain they said they wernt liable !! huh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
shredmandan
post Nov 11 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1.260

For me thats a tough one.I always liked playstation better ,but had a XBOX360 awhile back.It was really cool but only took 3 months before it stoped working with the flashing red lights thing mad.gif Lucky for me i purchased the extended warrenty and got it fixed.Once i got it back i sold it though like everything else i owned laugh.gif .Xbox offer's great service especially on there warrenty.I havent got to check out PS3 but i think i like the XBOX better now.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
post Nov 12 2007, 05:27 AM
Post #36

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 11 2007, 11:00 AM) *
My nephew had a 360 for christmas, and it scored ALL his game discs blink.gif when his father phoned up microsoft to complain they said they wernt liable !! huh.gif

Ahh, so he's the one who sued Microsoft for that? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Nov 12 2007, 05:35 AM

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
VinceG
post Nov 12 2007, 06:36 AM
Post #37

Now that I am doing more research. PS3 is sounding good right now. Yea sure, not a lot of games are out but PS3 gives you so much. Free online(tell me something about this free online stuff please), blue ray dvd, and comes with hd av cables (i think but correct me on this) and it doesn't over heat. Im thinking of buying the 360 elite and it cost more than ps3 so it might be a ps3 win for me.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Nov 12 2007, 06:37 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
post Nov 16 2007, 05:13 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 810

360 if you every want to play with people online, although its 12 months for 20-30 british pounds (depends from where) the whole online system is better on the 360 than the PS3
BUT Im sure the PS3 has got to have better graphics and MAYBE faster gaming since its got like 10 million processors, i dont know coz i dont have PS3, i only have 360 and at the moment i am quite so happy bout it, nothings broken etc.

+Quote Post
SDMF75
post Nov 16 2007, 05:25 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 2.001

QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Nov 11 2007, 12:16 AM) *
Xbox 360 has released hits like Gears of War
Call of Duty 4
Halo3
Bio Shock
Guitar Hero 3
Just to name a few.
And is also Releasing games that will be hits like Assasins Creed , This Tuesday
Grand Theft Auto 4
Mass Effect
Kayne and Lynch ( From the Makes of Hitman)

I had the 3 ring light problem and Microsoft was extremely helpful. I had mine back in less than 3 weeks. My warranty had run out by a few weeks from the 3 month extension so I paid half of the regular price for the repair ($67 or so). A few weeks after I got the XBOX back Microsoft mailed me a check for $127 with a letter telling me that they were extending my warranty for one year. I'll probably won't by any other platform from here on out.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Goliath
post Nov 16 2007, 06:10 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 2.254

A more fair response with somewhat less of a bias:

It really depends on you. If you're moderately tech savvy and want to play online, then there is no question (at all) the 360 is for you. The online system (marketplace) is fantastic. Finding games is never hard. They release old console classiscs you can download for about $12 USD (Castlevania: Symphony of the Nigh <3). They have music videos and an "on demand" movie download service (about $3 USD or so). They're constantly rolling out content for their games, you can look at trailers for games that are coming out, download demos, etc.

Now that being said, if you're playing by yourself and not going online, flip a coin. The PS3 has better graphics, but you don't truly realize the benefit of this without an HD TV. Sadly, the 'heavy hitter' games that come to PS3 are not ps3 exclusives and are typically available on other consoles.

360 has a bigger game library and since you're coming in so late in the game, you can enjoy all the other decent titles that have come out pretty cheap.

if you want to watch Blu-Ray movies, you can do that on the PS3. you can buy a $100 HD-DVD player upgrade for your 360, but it's really not worth it, again, unless you already have an HD television.

So far, all Sony has delivered is promises. 360 has a couple good games under it's belt that are worth checking out.

All this said, I don't know if Assassin's Creed is what you want to buy a system based on. I own it, it's neat, but I'm fairly certain my copy will be popping up on ebay in a couple weeks. It's fairly repetitive, BUT it is really cool. Climbing around on stuff is fun. If you got a 360, I'd shoot for Halo 3, or Gears of War (both have decent multi). If you're going to have friends coming over a lot, perhaps a Wii would be better for you.

That all said, depending on your tastes in music, GH3 is a disappointment if you were a fan of the previous 2 games. The "Legends of Rock" moniker was a horrendous misnomer. The good news is it's available on all systems in question.

I would get one of the consoles you want and a subscription to Gamefly for a couple months if you're in the US.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2017 - 05:41 PM