Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 21 2008, 08:36 AM
Post #61

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Lithuanian @ Jan 20 2008, 10:00 PM) *
Excuse me, but thats stupid! By not stating your opinion about a subject that you do not agree on (hope this sentence sounded right) you kill the possibility of a discussion. Ofcourse your opinion should be constructive and argumentet

I agree with what's been said about this comment - I would be slightly offended by if I got to hear that something I said was stupid. sad.gif

QUOTE (Muris @ Dec 26 2007, 12:47 AM) *
Thing is,most of the sites and forums around the web are crowded with unpolite guys,
they are mostly killing time by posting stupidity,being rude as much as possible,
that's one side of the medal called "NICK NAME".
And then they come to GMC thinking..."ahh another place to hang out and make fun".
Hang out...sure...have fun...sure.
But to hang someone...or to make fun of somebody... NOPE.
GMC just isn't place like many on the net and I like it soooo much,
GMC is looking for fine manners,nice talk,good music and playing.
Do you need something else??? biggrin.gif

Awesome description Muris! laugh.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Jan 21 2008, 09:16 AM
Post #62

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

Im pretty amaized how a small comment I made ages ago about how I like to respect peoples veiws has come back and caused so much trouble out of knowhere unsure.gif

Maybe this Illustrates just why I like to be so polite on forums smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Jan 21 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #63

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 21 2008, 02:16 AM) *
Im pretty amaized how a small comment I made ages ago about how I like to respect peoples veiws has come back and caused so much trouble out of knowhere unsure.gif

Maybe this Illustrates just why I like to be so polite on forums smile.gif

I suspect that as his language is not English, he was not aware that the word was a bit strong. I don't disagree with Matt, and we need peacemakers, which I think is the kind of role Matt would play. But we also need some blunt honesty, even if it hurts a bit. Look at any coach, they don't sweet talk to the players all the time. Here is an example of our football coach this year. A player got a penalty for celebrating a touchdown, and they were able to pick up the coach ripping the player a new one. Still we lost only 1 game all year, won the Orange Bowl, one of the top post season bowls. Clearly he is a good coach.

Warning...if you are offended by the 'f' word, don't listen.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zmAYpAzNB34

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jan 21 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #64

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

Well, I browsed this through.
Let's sum it up as I see it.

Matt got one of his desicions judged as stupid, and since Matt made the desicion in the first and is the one who have to stand for it, that makes the comment by Lithuanian rather rude. Probably came out wrong but written as it was, still not nice.

A public correction of Lithuanian was a good desicion, that also shows others we're above youtube level here.

RobM publicly criticise moderators work, takes a breath and then says that public critisism isn't the way to go, it should be kept in PM's.

And probably Lithuanian as a new member isn't enjoying the negative focus he's getting for his post.

This thread is on a more important subject on how to beave towards instructors.
What's now being discussed is OT OT OT OT!!! Let's drop it! If anyone wants to contine please start another thread.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lithuanian
post Jan 21 2008, 05:17 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 3.726

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 21 2008, 11:36 AM) *
...And probably Lithuanian as a new member isn't enjoying the negative focus he's getting for his post...

Dont worry, I'm quite used to negativity. I comment and discuss in alot of forums where not everyone agrees with my opinion.

Okay, the word stupid may not be the right word in that sentence. English is not my first nor my second language so I may express my opinion in a wrong way sometimes. I appoligize if I have offended Matt.

QUOTE (Maximus @ Jan 21 2008, 12:01 AM) *
...Disagreement is fine, name-calling is not...

I didn't want to call Matt stupid. I'm new on this board, I dont know nothing about its members so far. I just called Matt's opinion stupid, and I agree, that was a pretty wrong word. I have edited my first post.

And also: just dont get the wrong idea. I understand Muris'es "unpolite guy" description was reffered to me. These are my first days of GMC, and though I made a bad start (thanks to my lack of English grammar knowledge), I want people not to think Im one of those unpolite guys.

This post has been edited by Lithuanian: Jan 21 2008, 05:26 PM

--------------------
Lith uan ian

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jan 21 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #66

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.167

Its ok Lithuanian, I think you have shown by your apology that you are not one of those impolite guys smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Jan 21 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #67

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.304

Well you apologized for your actions, and admitted what you did was wrong, that earns respect in my book smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
post Jan 21 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #68

Get to da Chopper!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.374

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 21 2008, 05:09 PM) *
Well you apologized for your actions, and admitted what you did was wrong, that earns respect in my book smile.gif

+1

Im fairly sure nobody here wants to hold a grudge, especially after an apology smile.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Jan 21 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #69

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.001

I take no offence Lithuanian! smile.gif Keep on rocking wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Staples
post Feb 5 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 3.826

QUOTE (Smells @ Nov 16 2007, 07:00 AM) *
Shouldnt we just be super nice to everybody??

No! If I understood him correctly he means we need to set eachother on fire.

This post has been edited by Staples: Feb 5 2008, 12:57 PM

--------------------
Times New Roman

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
post Feb 5 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #71

Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.860

QUOTE (Staples @ Feb 5 2008, 11:25 AM) *
No! If I understood him correctly he means we need to eachother on fire.

? not sure I understand your reply? sarcasm perhaps?

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Staples
post Feb 5 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 3.826

QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 5 2008, 08:47 PM) *
? not sure I understand your reply? sarcasm perhaps?

Sarcasm and caffiene. Yes.

--------------------
Times New Roman

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
post Feb 5 2008, 01:40 PM
Post #73

Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.860

well, maybe try replying to the topic instead, after all this thread is all about being polite smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Feb 5 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 3.401

QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 5 2008, 12:40 PM) *
well, maybe try replying to the topic instead, after all this thread is all about being polite smile.gif

W****R tongue.gif biggrin.gif

lol. I'm joking of course but everybody needs to chill. This site is miles more polite than any other forum and there will be arguments due to miscommunication between people of different languages and cultures and it is good to have some discussion on a message board and to hear people's opinions. Just be nice to people. No calling people stupid or that they have an opinion that is wrong. Nobody has a wrong opinion on a subject, it is just a different viewpoint that everybody has of the world. If people had the same opinion everybody would be walking around in the same clothes, listening to the same music, eating the same food and acting in the same way. This would be no fun.

Lets keep the calm atmosphere that is at GMC and respect the instructors as they don't have to be here. They are talented enough to be picked up by any other website. They clearly like GMC and making lessons here so don't ruin it for the rest of us by treating them badly as they may leave if things got bad sad.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
kyldeee
post Feb 5 2008, 02:36 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 2.321

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 5 2008, 03:23 PM) *
W****R tongue.gif biggrin.gif

lol. I'm joking of course but everybody needs to chill. This site is miles more polite than any other forum and there will be arguments due to miscommunication between people of different languages and cultures and it is good to have some discussion on a message board and to hear people's opinions. Just be nice to people. No calling people stupid or that they have an opinion that is wrong. Nobody has a wrong opinion on a subject, it is just a different viewpoint that everybody has of the world. If people had the same opinion everybody would be walking around in the same clothes, listening to the same music, eating the same food and acting in the same way. This would be no fun.

Lets keep the calm atmosphere that is at GMC and respect the instructors as they don't have to be here. They are talented enough to be picked up by any other website. They clearly like GMC and making lessons here so don't ruin it for the rest of us by treating them badly as they may leave if things got bad sad.gif

Hear Hear smile.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Feb 5 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #76

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

We have a problem here - this thread is about being polite.

Being UNpolite in here is the fastest and most effective way to get full moderator force attention - which is what has just happened.

Staples I do not see where your comment is coming from (or where you want to get with it) - but you are now under moderator surveillance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Mar 23 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #77

Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.276

I don't think these rules should be hard to follow by anyone here.
This is by far the best forum I've ever been involved in and that's why I'm here all the time laugh.gif
Everyone here is nice and if there's some disagreement it's always in form of a constructive critisism, at least that's my experience. And that's also one of the things I appreciate about GMC smile.gif

As far as being nice to the instructors, I think that's a given!
But I also believe we should be nice to all the other members, not just the Instructors wink.gif

And Kris; you've done a great job with these forums!
If not for you there would'nt be instructors, seniors and/or members here at all.
I see you're giving thanks to the Moderators, seniors and instructors in threads here on these forums, but don't you think you deserve a Thanks as well? Because I do!

So thanks Kris, keep up the good work smile.gif
And thanks to all the GMC staff, Moderators, Instructors, Seniors and of course the Members for making these forums a great place to be! smile.gif

+Quote Post
cony71
post Jan 5 2009, 05:27 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 6.549

The thing is that our egos are very well developed, without them we could stand anything, and remember ego is not equal to your factual you.
My advice get into the fridge and wait for a better coming humanity or evolve to another level where harm in words is just a joke.

+Quote Post
Dreamcatcher
post Jan 6 2009, 06:31 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 6.442

I realise this is an older post but I feel it being bumped isn't such a bad thing...we all need reminding from time to time how we affect others. I wanted to simply chime in with my 2 cents if I may. For the little time I have been here I have come to respect the instructors I have met...and the regular members alike. For me a simple put down would be catastrophic..and my ego is low enough about my guitar playing. I'm not perfect and will never be perfect...but I try and I want to learn. Isnt that what we are really here for to learn from the experience these instructors have to offer? I also want to point out that written word loses its annunciation (verbal tone changes) so sometimes something as simple as sarcasm and jokin around could be taken totally wrong....this is a fact of life. We all need to be aware of this and try not to jump to conclusions too quickly. GMC is a vast global community of many who communicate in english..but I am positive this is a secondary language for alot of people here. As for malicous people and bad attitudes and such well...I'm sure you have figured out by now GMC isn't your kinda place really. This is a school of sorts and should be treated as such in many ways...you paid to learn..not to come here and spread misery and gloom to all those who are trying to learn something. I can also understand feeling your right about something and trying to defend your position...if you feel you have to defend your point ..use the least aggresive way to phrase it...perhaps this could get a good conversation going versus an argument. In any discusion putting anyone down or verbally assaulting them is just about the most absurd thing anyone can do because it will never end nicely. Do unto others !!!!!!...now I'm off to my next lesson.....Peace

--------------------
" Free Your Mind and Your Axe Will Follow" Vernon Reid (Living Colour)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Jan 6 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #80

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.159

English IS my secondary language and I surely didn't understand
few sentences that you wrote but never mind,
keep rocking and have fun at GMC. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2017 - 09:38 AM