> Are We Self Taught?
Pavel
post Nov 19 2007, 08:42 AM
Post #21

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

QUOTE (Muris @ Nov 19 2007, 08:36 AM) *
I can almost agree here in total with you Pavel,regarding to instructional videos,books,tabs,sheets etc.
But having private classes in person with real instructor,that probably eliminates self taught option,
even if you don't get degree for it.
Once more,my opinion. smile.gif

Yeah, you are probably right here. So i guess being self-taught is like not having a live lessons with an instructor. Online materials and books and other resources don't count when determining "taught" or "self-taught".

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Nov 19 2007, 08:54 AM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2.159

QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 19 2007, 08:42 AM) *
Yeah, you are probably right here. So i guess being self-taught is like not having a live lessons with an instructor. Online materials and books and other resources don't count when determining "taught" or "self-taught".

Yeah,that's what I meant.
Or even situation like this.
I had classical guitar classes during music high school,I'm not using anything from there
in music that I play mostly,cause it's different technique,tone,styles etc.
Also I played stuff like Metallica,Maiden,some Satch's and Vai's tunes even before I got into music school.
Now,am I self taught? blink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
shredmandan
post Nov 19 2007, 09:48 AM
Post #23

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.260

QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 19 2007, 02:42 AM) *

This is how i have always looked at it smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Nov 19 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 19 2007, 01:03 AM) *
Rusty says he's self-taught although he was learning by Metal Method's video instructionals. I think you are self-taught as long as you don't officially get a degree on some music academy or something. That's my opinion, i'm not sure.

correct in principle. a distinction if how much freedom you have to shape your efforts. here you have total freedom. with a formal teacher, not so.

which can be good or bad, depending on the person.

+Quote Post
peterorg54
post Nov 19 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 2.812

QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Nov 18 2007, 10:56 PM) *
lol I'm not self taught. I was once asked what music school I attended, and I told them "I'm currently enrolled at GMC University, and this semester I'm taking classes from Professor Dahl, Professor Varajic ect. ect."

hahahaha laugh.gif

good one spider. biggrin.gif

well and i say we are self taught.

because we can say "im self taught and this good " to people.. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Slammer
post Nov 19 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 1.688

Untill I Actually pay a teacher to give me a live 1 on 1 lesson, I will alway consider myself "Self Taught".

I had to Teach myself how to do things, without a teachers help...Yep I'd say that's self taught

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Nov 19 2007, 12:14 PM
Post #27

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.304

i taught myself many things for guitar, but if you use GMC, i dont see how youre self taught, youre using someone elses advice and technique interpertation to further better your own. hell, if not for pavel's sweeping advice and lessons, i would be nowhere near where i am now.

Im proud to say GMC has helped make me the musician i am today smile.gif

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 19 2007, 12:14 PM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Nov 19 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #28

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.001

Cool Topic, I would say were somehwere between being Taught and self taught "borderline" is the word im looking for.

The reason is, we are chooseing our on practice regime, which techniques and areas we wish to study, monotoring out own progress without correction from the outside (unless we choose to upload a video to GMC). But at the same time its like haveing a live teacher infront of you!! So were controlling our own learning process, ultimatley it is ourselves that determine progress.

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Nov 19 2007, 10:38 AM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Iluha
post Nov 19 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1.574

I think that "Self Taught" applies to only those that learn by listening to songs and trying to recreate them on the instrument, when we take a Live Teacher, he actually guides us on where we should put our fingers and what does all those sounds mean, preety similar to taking lessons online, only diffrence is that here only way a teacher can correct us is if we post a video.

Also if you learn from tabs than you are not self taught, cause it's like the teachers here, it can teach you how to play things, but unlike the teachers here, it can't assist you any further!

Do I make sense? laugh.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Nov 19 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #30

Group Icon

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 19 2007, 01:37 AM) *
Cool Topic, I would say were somehwere between being Taught and self taught "borderline" is the word im looking for.

The reason is, we are chooseing our on practice regime, which techniques and areas we wish to study, monotoring out own progress without correction from the outside (unless we choose to upload a video to GMC). But at the same time its like haveing a live teacher infront of you!! So were controlling our own learning process, ultimatley it is ourselves that determine progress.

Hmmm, that seems better, maybe we need a new word for it?

+Quote Post
Goliath
post Nov 19 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 2.254

It seems fairly obvious to me that we would still be considered "Self taught" since really, using these video lessons is not really different than buying any other course materials, like books of scales, etc. There's a difference between studying a diagram/video and attempting to play it rather than have someone analyze your playing and correcting any quirks/flaws you pick up along the way.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Nov 19 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #32

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.167

But on the other hand, with GMC you have the possibility to interact with other students, and the instructors. You can upload songs and videos and get advice that way, so it is not truly like just buying a DVD and working with it.

I actually think that GMC is self paced study, but not self-taught.

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Nov 19 2007, 04:31 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Nov 19 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #33

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 19 2007, 03:13 PM) *

Self Shreducation ?? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Oh my ive lost it laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Goliath
post Nov 19 2007, 04:37 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 2.254

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 19 2007, 04:30 PM) *
But on the other hand, with GMC you have the possibility to interact with other students, and the instructors. You can upload songs and videos and get advice that way, so it is not truly like just buying a DVD and working with it.

I actually think that GMC is self paced study, but not self-taught.

What's really the difference between this and going to concerts/bars/music stores and palling around with other guitarists and discussing technique/theory? It's still tapping a resource of a community, albeit GMC makes doing that MUCH easier, but this weekend alone I talked shop with the guitarist at the bar I was at on friday as well as waiting for a concert to start last night. I don't think it's a far stretch to lump the two into the same group.

Personally I don't really care whether I'm "self taught" or not, since I feel like I have very low natural ability for this instrument and have to work to offset it with loads of practice, which is apparently a pretty common theme among many musicians.

I guess you really need to define what being "taught" is, whether it comprises formal instruction at in an academic setting, private instruction in a music store, online lessons, etc. I doubt we'll arrive at a generally accepted definition.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Nov 19 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #35

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 19 2007, 04:35 PM) *
Self Shreducation ?? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Oh my ive lost it laugh.gif

Shreducation is an awesome name for the guitar website!!! ohmy.gif Awesome idea Mattacuk!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Nov 19 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #36

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 19 2007, 03:42 PM) *
Shreducation is an awesome name for the guitar website!!! ohmy.gif Awesome idea Mattacuk!

ohmy.gif Sometimes I wonder where these great ideas come from! ohmy.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Nov 19 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #37

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 19 2007, 10:45 AM) *
ohmy.gif Sometimes I wonder where these great ideas come from! ohmy.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

That hamster in your brain of course! He pedals a little harder for a minute then an idea pops out! He must have been knackered after the tshirt competition ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Nov 19 2007, 07:25 PM
Post #38

Group Icon

check out whats in my signature now Mattacuk, thats a good word i must say cool.gif

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 19 2007, 07:25 PM

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
post Nov 19 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #39

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.464

QUOTE (Testament @ Nov 19 2007, 08:04 AM) *
honestly, i think the problem lies in the wording. if there was an in-between place that didn't have to be self-taught or taught by an instructor, things would be much clearer.
i couldn't agree more. cool.gif

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 19 2007, 04:13 PM) *

Maybe E-taught?? huh.gif

I prefer Shreducated biggrin.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars : Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps : Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs : Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other : Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks : Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear : Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Nov 19 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #40

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 19 2007, 06:25 PM) *
check out whats in my signature now Mattacuk, thats a good word i must say cool.gif

LOL! That is awsome... I am honoured cool.gif

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 19 2007, 05:15 PM) *
That hamster in your brain of course! He pedals a little harder for a minute then an idea pops out! He must have been knackered after the tshirt competition ...

yeah hes pretty lazy.... tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th March 2017 - 08:27 AM