Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ibanez Edge Iii - Part 2 (rg370dx), Oh Boy.....
WTN
post Nov 20 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.184

This is near the end of the first part:

QUOTE(RobM @ Nov 19 2007, 06:24 AM)

Well, IMHO it's going to be pretty hard to try and convince them that the thing came that way(not saying that you would do that), so I guess the only other thing to do is try and get a replacement. Hopefully they don't give you any trouble as they probably could say it's a warranty issue and try and make you get it repaired thru Ibanez(although most places have a short time span in which you can return the product, no questions asked). Please keep us informed as to what happens with this(I would like to know how this thing turns out).

I just requested an RMA. I explained in detail what happened. The guitar did not come this way. I actually had it in tune (took a while). I let it sit overnight to let things settle - I made some intonation and string height adjustments. The next morning I really gave the wammy a workout - deep dives, etc. Then it went out of tune and I could not get it back in tune. Took the back cover off and the bottom screw had lost it's hold. I could not believe it. I also could not believe how small these two wood screws are. I was thinking about fixing it, but if I did there goes the warranty. And seeing as how I have not even plugged it in what if something else was wrong. The wife said don't touch it - send it back.

I am actually getting another RG370 - will give it another shot. Will be here tomorrow. I think I got a lemon.

Here is Zzounds reply to my RMA request: (I told them everything in the above paragraph):

Unfortunately in this case, Ibanez will need to determine if the services performed not by an authorized luthier does not void the warranty. Generally speaking, any wood modifications even as minimal as a screw puling out, is often warranty voiding. If you can contact Ibanez on the damage at 800-669-4226 to confirm, please take the name an extension of the associate approving this warranty. We are very sorry for the hassle this causes.

My first reaction was WTF - "as soon as the screw pulled out the warranty was voided" Your Joking right?

I called them on the phone. Let me backtrack a bit - I also explained to them that when I took the back cover off and saw the lower screw had pulled itself out of the wood that naturally the top screw was holding ALL the spring pressure. Well, I did what any sane person would do - I backed the top screw out all the way to take all the pressure off the springs. I did not want the top screw to be pulled out also and further screw the guitar up. So they said as soon as I did that, then I probably voided the warranty.

I was passed on to a supervisor. Explained all the above. He agreed that I did the common sense thing by removing the top screw, but I had to call Ibanez and get an approval over the phone that I did not void the warranty - I remained calm (very hard to do). So I call Ibanez and of course they say they cannot do that without seeing the guitar. Fine - goodbye. Call Zzounds back and relay the news.

They are sending me a shipping label for the return and will refund my money. I knew they would make it right - just took a while. I also leveled with the supervisor and told him I ordered another RG370DX that will be delivered today. I changed colors - original was the red,white,black combo, but I went with the blue and Zzounds was out of those 'till 11/30. He understood completely. (plus the plain blue is $90 cheaper)

When the new one gets here, I'll be back with the results. (Am I having fun yet?)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WTN
post Nov 21 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #2

The new one shipped out today. I got overnight shipping but it probably will not get here until friday due to turkey day.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
post Nov 21 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #3

Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.860

yikes!! i hope you have better luck with the new one

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
WTN
post Nov 21 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Smells @ Nov 21 2007, 09:35 AM) *
yikes!! i hope you have better luck with the new one

Here's hoping - surely can't get two lemons in a row.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
post Nov 23 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (WTN @ Nov 21 2007, 05:54 PM) *

no I hope not m8, I thought it a little strange as I had been following your other thread and apart from my Strat my other 2 guitars have Floyd rose trems on them (Ibanez & Jackson) and I`d never experienced anything like the troubles you`d been having, it did make me wonder earlier in that thread that perhaps there was actually something "wrong" with the guitar itself, I didnt post as you where getting plenty of advice on what to do and try

Looking forward to the follow up on your new one, fingers crossed for yer, nothing worse than buying a guitar and it all going horribly wrong.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Nov 23 2007, 02:20 PM
Post #6

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (Smells @ Nov 23 2007, 12:49 PM) *
no I hope not m8, I thought it a little strange as I had been following your other thread and apart from my Strat my other 2 guitars have Floyd rose trems on them (Ibanez & Jackson) and I`d never experienced anything like the troubles you`d been having, it did make me wonder earlier in that thread that perhaps there was actually something "wrong" with the guitar itself, I didnt post as you where getting plenty of advice on what to do and try

Looking forward to the follow up on your new one, fingers crossed for yer, nothing worse than buying a guitar and it all going horribly wrong.

The answer is quite simple. This will never occur on your Jackson, I bet my life it's made out of adler (crossing fingers) while you may get problems with the Ibanez in the future, it's likely made out of basswood. (The JEM is adler but besides that it's mostly basswood)

Adler is a stong firm wood while basswood is soft. A general failure which have occured on plenty of Ibanez guitars is that the strap holders come loose.
It's still a popular wood to use since it's emphasizing frequencies that shredders tend to appreciate. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
WTN
post Nov 23 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (WTN @ Nov 21 2007, 11:54 AM) *

The new one showed up about 1 hour ago. Holy Crap - this one is near perfect out of the box. The first thing I wanted to check was the position of the bridge. Well, heck the bottom edge is parallel to the guitar which was not like the first one looked like. The first one was tilted way forward. And if the bridge is not floating correctly, you will never get it in tune.

If you read the first thread, the question I asked was "what part of the bridge am I supposed to line up to get a parallel line" because the edge 3 is wedged shape (with a high tail). It turns out that one should line it up with the bottom base edge - which contradicts everything I found on the net - guess I should have contacted Ibanez and asked them. And Pavel (the first reply) was right.

I tell you what - if you get one of these and the bridge is not floating correctly you will drive yourself nuts trying to tune it - because it will be impossible.

Out of the box - here are the specs: Neck relief was .3MM, Intonation was perfect (peterson strobe tuner),
the action was great, but I wanted to see what is possible (Backtrack - the first RG370 had major problems on the low E string - it was visibly higher that the other 5 strings - a real pisser - and not adjustable - the only thing that would cause this is a bad nut)

The only adjustment I made was to lower the action: All measurements are at the 14TH fret:

String 6 (low E -FAT) 1.3mm
String 1 (high E -Skinny) 1.00mm

I would think these are impossible, but they are not - there is a slight buzz on the low E - the F and G bar chord position - but hit the strings lightly and it works.

I am glad that I have not completely lost my mind. Hope this helps some folks that get a floating bridge that
they cannot tune.

As a Recap as to what what was wrong wth the first RG370DX: The bridge was way too forward, the intonation on the D string was way off (about as far as possible), and the action or string height was a joke.
And me being the novice with "floating bridges" did not have a clue what to do. Live and learn.
(Plus the Low E was higher than all the other 5 strings - bad nut?)

This post has been edited by WTN: Nov 23 2007, 09:32 PM

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
post Nov 23 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

biggrin.gif Excellent biggrin.gif glad this one has worked out for you biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Nov 23 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #9

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

Hey man, it's great you have it all fixed! And, make sure you can do it all on your own, than you can make just about any setup you want! wink.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
WTN
post Nov 23 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 23 2007, 04:19 PM) *
Hey man, it's great you have it all fixed! And, make sure you can do it all on your own, than you can make just about any setup you want! wink.gif

Absolutely Pavel, I am a Mechanical and Electrical Nut, so I will figure out how things work - no problem. I have just plugged it in - just the Pandora so far - but yes it sounds great. What a great Guitar for $400 or so.

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
post Nov 25 2007, 09:19 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2.973

Good to know it worked out.
If you get one that is not set up properly, it will not drive you nuts, as it is not that hard to do smile.gif
It takes patience, and some time to learn, that's all.
Basswood is also crap loads lighter, hence why Ibanez is so comfortable, and makes the guitar more affordable. I don't see why anyone would need $2000 wood in my opinion smile.gif
I haven't had any of these problems people keep mentioning...I'm gonna start being a lot more careful now tho smile.gif
Cheers

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
RobM
post Nov 26 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2.353

QUOTE (WTN @ Nov 23 2007, 03:28 PM) *
I am glad that I have not completely lost my mind. Hope this helps some folks that get a floating bridge that
they cannot tune.

Glad everything worked out for you and you are now playing your new guitar(that is after all what it's all about). Looks like ZZounds is a good and reputable dealer that stands behind it's products and hire real musicans and not sales professionals to make the real decisions. It probably would have been hard to convince a lay person you made the correct decision to back out the top screw to prevent further damage.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
WTN
post Dec 2 2007, 05:41 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (RobM @ Nov 26 2007, 03:44 PM) *
Glad everything worked out for you and you are now playing your new guitar(that is after all what it's all about). Looks like ZZounds is a good and reputable dealer that stands behind it's products and hire real musicans and not sales professionals to make the real decisions. It probably would have been hard to convince a lay person you made the correct decision to back out the top screw to prevent further damage.

Exactly, it took awhile to get the return RMA UPS label but it did arrive. I just sent the original RG370DX back yesterday - pretty sure this was a defect from the factory. The new RG370 is perfect - and I mean perfect. Absolutely stunning in every area.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 07:51 PM