Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Right Hand, planting fingers
man0mule
post Nov 21 2007, 07:58 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.802

been having problems with my right hand and how to hold a pick. Everyone seems to hold it different. I've always held the pick between the pads of my thumb, pointer and middle finger. Seems like most people hold there's between the pad of the thumb and the first knuckle of the pointer finger. I can do this too. actually i tend to pick faster and more precise this way but i can't play rythm holding a pick like that.

I was watching videos on this site and seeing that allot of people anchor thier pinkys to the guitar. I've been trying this but my hand seems to be allot slower. Also from watching avenged sevenfold and dragonforce they actually hold thier picks so they are angled the other way. so your hand is almost below the pick. This actually feels pretty natural for me but i can't play everything like that either.

I guess i just need to pick a style and stick with it...

what do you guys think?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fabian Schulz
post Nov 21 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.069

I had the exactly same problem when I started playing. It took me about two or three weeks to play rhythm with this holding technique. So I just played till I was able to do it. It gets natural with time. I don't know if it's really true, but I have the feeling that it made things easier to learn for me. It didn't take so long to get them on a fast tempo.

But you must know what is best for you. Everyone holds the pick different, as you already said. And you have to find a position that is comfortable to you in all playing situations.

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550, Squier Showmaster Jimmy Shine Signature

Amps: Marshall G30R CD Combo, Marshall MG100HDFX Halfstack

Pedals: Digitech DF-7, Boss RC-2, Dunlop Cry Baby

Wishlist: Brunetti XL R-Evo II or Brunetti Mercury EL34 and a Fabian Schulz Signaturemodel by Ibanez :D

Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Nov 21 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.159

I believe that everyone should find best way for himself how to hold the pick.
On the other hand,I think having anchored pinky to your guitar might block you to play some stuff,
like skipping etc,sort of fist locked to body of guitar without being able to move it freely...

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Robin
post Nov 21 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.061

Everything seems impossible in the start, but after a couple of weeks with pick you'll be like "omg, how could I play without a pick earlier?" tongue.gif

When I started to play with pick my dad just told me to not use a big part of the pick to play with, like, dont let a big part of the pick stick out, uhmm, kinda hard to explain... But other than that I just held it like I wanted to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
man0mule
post Nov 21 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2.802

just to shed some new light on it, i've been playing guitar for almost 10 years now. but i'm trying to get more serious about it and build my skillset. I used to change how i held a pick based on if i was standing or sitting. now i'm starting to think that's a bad idea and trying to get 1 set way to hold it so i'm more consistant. My thinking is the more consistant it is the faster i will be able to pick up more advanced things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Nov 21 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #6

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.167

I was in the same situation - after 20 years I changed and it made a huge difference. I'm not going to recommend one way or another as it is completely personal, but I do recommend you keep your mind open and try different ways

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Nov 22 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

In general you should hold a pick how it suits best for you. If you`ve always held a pick with your index, middle and thumb then carry on. I red somewhere (Tommy Tedesco`s book) that he had known a guy who played with a pick with his middle and thumb finger and he had the fastest technique that he ever seen until then. So practise how you feel comfortable. In general you shoudn`t anchor any part of your picking arm on the guitar as its slows you down (BUT lotta great guitar legends did just this...) If you play rhythm anchoring is a major no.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
smrt173
post Nov 23 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3.129

QUOTE (man0mule @ Nov 21 2007, 08:47 PM) *
just to shed some new light on it, i've been playing guitar for almost 10 years now. but i'm trying to get more serious about it and build my skillset. I used to change how i held a pick based on if i was standing or sitting. now i'm starting to think that's a bad idea and trying to get 1 set way to hold it so i'm more consistant. My thinking is the more consistant it is the faster i will be able to pick up more advanced things.

tts good.... many people have improved way much after joining GMC and im one of them tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2017 - 08:44 PM