2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Played My First Jem
USAMAN
Nov 27 2007, 01:04 AM
GMC:er
One word "YUCK"!
All those inlays= overboard. Pickups were um dry.gif ......Not what I expected...total mids.
In defense of the guitar the set up on this one was so screwed up they (thte guitar store) should be ashamed of themselves. unsure.gif
Im not trying to offend anyone here so please dont take offence to my opinion and experience. I love Ibanez guitars but I just cant see myself playing anything that looks like those white and gold peacocks. Everything they make tends to be all sparkely and odd colored. They really need to make a few rg models that are a little calmer too. I love the rg2550 however. What is wrong with straight black...they wrecked it with the stupid sparkels. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG mad.gif

Just my 2 cents,
Peace.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 27 2007, 01:06 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Nov 27 2007, 12:04 AM) *
One word "YUCK"!
All those inlays= overboard. Pickups were um dry.gif ......Not what I expected...total mids.
In defense of the guitar the set up on this one was so screwed up they (thte guitar store) should be ashamed of themselves. unsure.gif
Im not trying to offend anyone here so please dont take offence to my opinion and experience. I love Ibanez guitars but I just cant see myself playing anything that looks like those white and gold peacocks. Everything they make tends to be all sparkely and odd colored. They really need to make a few rg models that are a little calmer too. I love the rg2550 however. What is wrong with straight black...they wrecked it with the stupid sparkels. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG mad.gif
Just my 2 cents,
Peace.

laugh.gif eeekk! *stands cowering in the corner waiting for the chairs to fly around the room in your direction* laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ben N
Nov 27 2007, 01:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Smells @ Nov 27 2007, 02:06 AM) *
laugh.gif eeekk! *stands cowering in the corner waiting for the chairs to fly around the room in your direction* laugh.gif

heheheh smile.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Nov 27 2007, 01:08 AM
Uh-oh... it's going down... ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

Really, I've only played a JEM once, and first off, I'm never happy playing a guitar in a store. I can never get a good sound, and I'm just uncomfortable anyways. But. the one time I did play a JEM, I was unhappy with the way it played! It was horribly out of tune, so I couldn't tell you how it sounded or anything (I'm infinitely too lazy to try and tune a Floyd Rose in a store! tongue.gif ), but I messed around with it unplugged, and it played horribly! This could have something to do with being in a store, it might have been dirty due to many people playing it and not wiping it down, but the neck was terrible! I'm guessing that this was just a bad experience, though, many people will vouch for the JEM's pure awesomeness! biggrin.gif

I'd like to add, you might not want to judge all guitars by one instance, even within the same guitar model, each individual guitar can be very different. I played a C-1 Classic at Guitar Center the other day, and it didn't feel anywhere near as good as mine does in my hands! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Nov 27 2007, 01:27 AM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 27 2007, 01:12 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
All im gonna say is ive never seen a JEM i didnt love to play or look at smile.gif

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Nov 27 2007, 01:13 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Nov 27 2007, 01:08 AM) *
Uh-oh... it's going down... ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

I know I will probably make some people mad but this is a forum after all. I mean no offense to anyone. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 27 2007, 01:14 AM
its just a matter of time for Andrew to read this.... tongue.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Nov 27 2007, 01:15 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 27 2007, 01:12 AM) *
All im gonna say is ive never seen a JEM i didnt love to play or look at smile.gif

There are several guitars that I feel that way about. mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Nov 27 2007, 01:24 AM
The Dark Canuck
I was actually going to start a thread about this very subject....but I had the opposite experience.

The Jem I played was amazing and I finally see what all the fuss is about. If I had the cash I would have bought it right there....except I just bought christmas gifts for all my friends and family.....seriously contemplated just getting everyone a card and returning their gifts but figured I'd have some awful karma after smile.gif

But to each their own I say...and not all guitars are alike. Even in like models (hope that makes sense)

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Nov 28 2007, 03:23 AM
I'm sure it only played bad because of the setup it had. But I will agree with one thing... I don't like gold, and I especially don't want it on my guitar. That is just my personal taste though.

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 28 2007, 03:50 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Nov 26 2007, 07:14 PM) *
its just a matter of time for Andrew to read this.... tongue.gif

Hmm, I missed this one ....

But I say, if you don't like it that's fine - all the more Jems for us fans smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 28 2007, 03:52 AM
I don't care for the looks of them. I don't care for the birds either. I mean it is only acrylic. If it were real mother of pearl I could understand it. All in all, in terms of looks and style, I put them in the same category with velvet paintings of Elvis such as.....

Attached Image

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Nov 28 2007, 03:57 AM
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Nov 29 2007, 01:26 AM
Eh. It's all subjective.

FWIW, I'd take it if someone gave me a new JEM but I wouldn't buy one. I'd be afraid to drop it, and afraid to play it. There are a lot of guitars that I'd be like that for so it's not really a JEM thing..it's just the more visible member of that group.

I have one guitar that I'm the first owner of. I try to take good care of it, but there's still a couple dings in it here and there. The other two were well used so I'm probably not going to notice minor dings that I put in them.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Nov 29 2007, 08:32 AM
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Nov 27 2007, 01:04 AM) *
One word "YUCK"!
ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG mad.gif

This is Off-topic in my opinion ... dosn't really add value to the Gear-forum dose it? No offence wink.gif

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Nov 29 2007, 09:56 AM
Instructor
One word "YUCK"!
Just my 2 cents,
Peace.

Well, it's an opinion... and my opinion is that JEMs are great cool.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 29 2007, 11:11 AM
Instructor
I'm not afraid of dropping it and i am not afraid of playing a JEM. It's a perfect axe. When i was buying it, i went to a store in Italy, tried it and was not too impressed, but a few months before that i was in Moscow (Russia) and i tried a JEM which had a great setup and it felt awesome. So i just bought that JEM in Italy, came hohe, and did my own setup the way i like it and today it's a perfect shred machine. Since i am an owner of Ibanez guitars from the very beginning of my playing, i can make any Ibanez to be a shred monster because i just know how to set it up.

I can't explain it in words so don't ask me biggrin.gif Send me your guitar and i'll make it scream wink.gif biggrin.gif

JEM OWNZ!!!

EDIT: spelling

This post has been edited by Pavel: Nov 29 2007, 11:14 AM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 29 2007, 11:15 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 29 2007, 10:11 AM) *
I can't explain it in words so don't ask me biggrin.gif

Thats a shame- i would love a "how to set up properley" course around the forum...

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 29 2007, 12:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Nov 29 2007, 11:15 AM) *
Thats a shame- i would love a "how to set up properley" course around the forum...

Yeah, my English is not THAT good so i would spend 3 days trying to explain it. No way! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 29 2007, 06:11 PM
I love the rg2550 however. What is wrong with straight black...they wrecked it with the stupid sparkels. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG mad.gif

Ibanez are excellent at creating new shades of black. wink.gif
I myself prefer light colored guitars, because with darker shades the guitar sort of becomes invisible.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:48 PM