2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jimi Hendrix: Top Of The 100 Greatest List?, Lets discuss our Patron Saint James Marshal Hendrix
Arrival
post Nov 28 2007, 07:26 AM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.968

QUOTE (Hemlok @ Nov 27 2007, 03:50 PM) *
It all depends on your taste, thats why these lists don't work. Some people like a guitarist for their technical ability. I go by the music they create, Hendrix made amazing and out of this world stuff. The guitar was just a part of him, he was like an alien when he played Voodoo Child at Woodstock, such an amazing performance. In my opinion no one has come close to him and probably never will. But that is just my opinion and it is going to be different to the next 10 people to read this. Again, that is why these 'Big Lists' do not work and I will not post my list.

So yes Hendrix at the top wink.gif

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) at Woodstock is my favorite Jimi performance bar none. Good Choice.
Just listen to what he made the guitar do in '69. The guitarists of the 70's, 80's, 90's, today didn't have to create the guitar. Jimi created the GUITAR that paints a picture, tells a story, and grabs you by the brain and f***s you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Nov 28 2007, 09:50 AM
Post #22

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

I think the bottom line is, it all comes down to personal taste. This is why although these lists are great fun to read, but there never going to actually mean anything.

Is Jimi hendrix the worlds greatest player? If you like Jimi Hendrix he is, if you dont then he isnt.

I veiw him as haveing had an awsome raw talent, very gifted and creative. But do i enjoy his music? No.

The most logical way to look at the worlds greatest guitarists is to accept that there are and have been many many top performers of varying styles that will always be great.

The fun way to veiw the worlds greatest guitarists is to make a top 100 list and put jimi hendrix at the top cause you know its the done thing. laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
LwShieN
post Nov 28 2007, 10:16 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 3.360

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 28 2007, 09:50 AM) *
I think the bottom line is, it all comes down to personal taste. This is why although these lists are great fun to read, but there never going to actually mean anything.

Is Jimi hendrix the worlds greatest player? If you like Jimi Hendrix he is, if you dont then he isnt.

I veiw him as haveing had an awsome raw talent, very gifted and creative. But do i enjoy his music? No.

The most logical way to look at the worlds greatest guitarists is to accept that there are and have been many many top performers of varying styles that will always be great.

The fun way to veiw the worlds greatest guitarists is to make a top 100 list and put jimi hendrix at the top cause you know its the done thing. laugh.gif

agreed , to me all of them are great tongue.gif. ... Which one is the best ? ..well comes down to personal taste and style and what you are into ;D

--------------------
MY GEAR

Ibanez RG1570
Seagul Accoustic Guitar
Brandless Classical Guitar
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Gt8 Boss Pedal

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Nov 28 2007, 10:21 AM
Post #24

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

QUOTE (LwShieN @ Nov 28 2007, 09:16 AM) *
agreed , to me all of them are great tongue.gif. ... Which one is the best ? ..well comes down to personal taste and style and what you are into ;D

Absolutely, its all about what you enjoy! What inspires you wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
post Nov 28 2007, 10:34 AM
Post #25

Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.860

Yea well put Matt I`d agree with that m8, personally I`m not a huge fan of his music either, when I see clips of him playing it does remind me that he was a true great, so far ahead of his time, possibly if you put him against guitarists of today he`d probably be firmly blown away by them, but having said that would these guys be playing like this had it not been for him?? cant answer that but given that he has influenced so many great guitarists you`d probably have to have him up there sitting on the top of the greatest list it wouldnt make me say "no way" if he was number 1 smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Nov 28 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #26

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Yes hes certainly been a massive and important influence smile.gif I would have thought if Jimi were here today he would be gobsmacked at many of todays players. From the documentarys ive seen, he seemed a pretty down to earth guy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Nov 28 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

Please not another debate who is the best guitarist rolleyes.gif

Hendrix is surely a legend and it would be a shame for me to put him on any kind of list. I can only say that he was one of the greatest musicians in the world ever and that is quite enough for me.

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Nov 28 2007, 02:55 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
post Nov 29 2007, 03:06 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 2.857

He's top 3. thats final for me. thats all I have to say.

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
buckjones
post Dec 7 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1.187

My opinion and my opinion only but I feel that Hendrix is the most influential to rock guitar playing. Again I'm saying influential not greatest. I enjoy Jimi's music but he's far from the best guitar player if we can even make an assumption that there is a greatest guitar player... Hendrix did things with the guitar that had never been done before and he should most definitely be recognized for this.

Again, this is totally my opinion!!!! biggrin.gif

P.S. You're all the greatest! smile.gif

--------------------
See profile for gear...

Tim Mahoney makes my day.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
post Dec 7 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #30

Get to da Chopper!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.374

Well i know that almost everybody but me loves him- and im fine with that.
All down to opinion as previous posts have said.

One thing that does confuse me about his playing is the weird rythmic patterns using really exotic scales?

Anyone care to describe what scale he's using here ?!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFUS7FlYE_g

Thanks wink.gif cool.gif

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
post Dec 8 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #31

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.434

He shaped modern guitar playing to what it is today, and very few after him have had as big influence on guitar in general than he did, so he definitely should be atleast on the top 3. If he should be the n.1 on the list is completely up to the individual to decide smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 09:49 PM