Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Can I Record And Listen To What I'm Recording At The Same Time?, (Newbie question)
Fran
post Dec 10 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

Hi all,

I just downloaded a program called Audacity to see if I could record what I play on the guitar with my computer.

I use the minijack microphone input on my laptop to put the sound from my amp into the computer.

The problem is that when I do that the amp doesn't sound (because it uses the amp's headphones/line out.)

And when I record I can see that the computer is receiving the sound, and it records it, but I can't hear it until I stop recording and play it afterwards.

Is there any way / option so that I can listen to what is being recorded? I hope so, because it's frustrating to play without hearing what you are actually recording...

I hope I managed to explain the problem right!

Thanks

This post has been edited by Fran: Dec 10 2007, 06:47 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
post Dec 10 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.387

You have to activate the "monitor" button, not sure really where is located in Audacity, but it should be somewhere near Solo and Mute buttons in the recording track.

And if you don't have a good sound card with low latency (not more than 12ms) you will hear the delayed sound and it will frustrate you even more smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Dec 10 2007, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.194

Hi Fran,
it's a little bit different in Audacity. Go to 'Edit>Preferences' and on 'Audio I/O' tick the bx called 'Software Playthrough'

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Fran
post Dec 10 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Thanks, yes that worked.

Unfortunately it seems my sound card is not good enough as it produces a delayed sound... I wonder if it's the card or the RAm or the proccesor.

Oh well, at least I know how to do it smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
buckjones
post Dec 10 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #5

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.187

You've got it right... It can be your hardware, but most likely it's that you need an interface to connect between your guitar to your computer instead into your microphone input jack on the computer.

Once you have an interface much like the Line 6 Toneport you can plug your headphones or monitors directly into the interface and the sound is almost instantaneous. Check out the great review written up about the UX1 by Line 6.

--------------------
See profile for gear...

Tim Mahoney makes my day.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Dec 10 2007, 11:46 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Sounds like latency to me Fran. Buck is right that latency (more or less the difference in time between when you ply a note and when you hear it after it's been all the way through your signal chain) is in part down to your physical connections. However as we're using the 'software playthrough' for monitoring the track you're recording in Audacity then the actual Audacity front end software is most likely the major source.

If it's a case of your playing isn't aligned with pre-recorded tracks then the easiest solution is to just move the pre-recorded tracks on the time line. If however it's because you're noticing delay between playing a note and hearing it then you could try:

a) increasing the pc/mac resources allocated to Audacity. To do thisyou need to shut down unused applications via Task Manager.

cool.gif Increase the physical resources available by using a faster cpu, more RAM - but this is probably not what you want to do.

c) If you don't then you can try altering the 'latency' options ('audio to buffer' and 'latency correction') in Audacity (Edit>Preferences>Audio I/O - same as before). Always make a note of the original settings though before you change things just in case you need to go back to the original.

Outside of this the only other ways I'm aware of reducing latency in Audacity is to make changes in the kernal - and that is probably something you should avoid - or changing the sound card. I don't have a latency issue with my install of Audacity (1.3.3 beta) - if it helps my settings are Audio to Buffer - 100ms; Correction - 0 ms.

d) You've only just downloaded Audacity so you probably are using it but just in case - use the most recent release - I think it's @1.3.4 or higher at the moment. Audacity has improved it's software latency quite considerably across the last few versions.

BTW - Audacity doesn't at this stage support ASIO (before anyone advises you to use ASIO) simply because Steinberg have not agreed a license arrangement for Audacity.

Cheers,
Tony

ps - you can also try the ASIO4ALL drivers with Audacity - might work.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Dec 11 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

Yes definately get an external audio interface like TonePort or similar. THis is your only (and very good) solution. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Fran
post Dec 11 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Thanks guys, I'll try with the software settings first and I'll look into the interface solution if that doesn't work.

By the way I have a line 6 pocket pod, and I had the same problem as with the amp. But the pocket pod is not an interface, so I guess I will have that problem as long as I use the mic input.

I'll go change some settings and see what happens.

This post has been edited by Fran: Dec 11 2007, 05:23 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Dec 11 2007, 05:44 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Other thing to check Fran are your cables.

My general advice btw for anyone who has audio problems is to start checking the easy, quick and free stuff , ie settings, cables, connections BEFORE diving in and getting new hardware. Work up on a problem rather then just chuck money at it smile.gif . So basically I think you're doing the right thing here Fran. You might end up having to get a new audio device in the long run but you might not and if you don't you can spend the money on something else smile.gif .

Last bit - IF you do have to get a new audio device - some laptops have reported issues with fw and usb audio devices. Before you buy one check compatability on the maker's website and wander over to the user forums for the device to see if anyone's reported an issue for your laptop. Could save you a lot of frustration.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
post Dec 11 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #10

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 3.381

I currently use the IK Multimedia Stealth Plug to record stuff onto my PC. Its been a good buy for me and it also comes with Amplitube 2 Live amp modelling software. The Stealth Plug unit has a jack scoket for head phones to monitor your playing.

This post has been edited by Crazyfret: Dec 11 2007, 05:49 PM

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
buckjones
post Dec 11 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #11

GMC:er

Member No.: 1.187

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 11 2007, 11:44 AM) *
Other thing to check Fran are your cables.

My general advice btw for anyone who has audio problems is to start checking the easy, quick and free stuff , ie settings, cables, connections BEFORE diving in and getting new hardware. Work up on a problem rather then just chuck money at it smile.gif . So basically I think you're doing the right thing here Fran. You might end up having to get a new audio device in the long run but you might not and if you don't you can spend the money on something else smile.gif .

Last bit - IF you do have to get a new audio device - some laptops have reported issues with fw and usb audio devices. Before you buy one check compatability on the maker's website and wander over to the user forums for the device to see if anyone's reported an issue for your laptop. Could save you a lot of frustration.

Cheers,
Tony

Good call, Tony, on recommending to troubleshoot the cables and connections first. Starting with the simple things could end up saving you a lot of money and a lot of time. I've learned that the hard way... mad.gif

--------------------
See profile for gear...

Tim Mahoney makes my day.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 06:08 PM