5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Stereotypes And Music, Has anyone had a bad experience?
The Uncreator
Dec 18 2007, 01:51 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Small story thats hilarious. Ironic this happened

Yesterday i got off work early, so i was hanging out at the local guitar shop, and there was a chick there playing guitar, pretty good too, had some awesome Jazz/Blues licks. Anyway i was looking at some Pedals when some guy asked her if she knew any Vai stuff, then another guy behind him said very sarcastically "Dude she's a chick, shes not going to know".....this comment made no sense to me, and the best part is this...

Dahlia (i later found out her name, after talking to her), just coughed, turned up the distortion and played the Solo to "Blood And Glory"....Perfectly, i mean she nailed every note, she looked at the guys and just said, "You were saying?"

They walked away, and i walked over and shook her hand and congratulated her on her ownage.

Anyway, this reminded me of what happened to you rokchik, so i thought i'd share/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 18 2007, 01:58 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (dango @ Dec 17 2007, 07:50 PM) *
Thanks rokchik
wow, I can't play and sing. haha, now you got taste, you would like to do more, don't you? laugh.gif
It is true, the music shop is intimedating place , but since i am member of GMC, it gave me a confidence. If i want to know something, there are answer in forum or i could ask someone in GMC. And GMC is very welcoming place, and safe. I know i wouldn't be get hurt. I am practicing a lot of lessons, and enjoying it.
Thanks to the instructors for all lessons and thnaks to Kris make such nice place. GMC take care of ladies , too. I've never thought to post something on forum by myself, this is quite new for me. thanks to rokchik to creating this ladies forum, too. smile.gif

It was pretty fun up there playing in front of folks I must say...I see what the appeal is now actually. But like you GMC has given me confidence in my playing so it made it easier for sure. I never would have done it other wise. I mean I never learned any of the songs from GMC (except the Muse lesson of course) but just knowing how much I've improved over the last 9 months gave me a confidence boost.

Your so right about the forum too. I have never really posted before on forums...only one but it was so mean I never stayed. But this place is so friendly and welcoming. Kris has done an amazing job with this site. It's the nicest place on the web that's for sure. I'm glad your comfortable posting more too....it's great having you around smile.gif biggrin.gif I know Kris will be pleased you feel this way. Oh and Kris deserves the credit for the ladies forum but thank you very much. I just hope it gets more active smile.gif smile.gif wink.gif

rok

EDIT: Spelling

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by rokchik: Dec 18 2007, 02:04 AM

+Quote Post
Robin
Dec 18 2007, 01:58 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 18 2007, 01:51 AM) *

Yesterday i got off work early, so i was hanging out at the local guitar shop, and there was a chick there playing guitar, pretty good too, had some awesome Jazz/Blues licks. Anyway i was looking at some Pedals when some guy asked her if she knew any Vai stuff, then another guy behind him said very sarcastically "Dude she's a chick, shes not going to know".....this comment made no sense to me, and the best part is this...

Dahlia (i later found out her name, after talking to her), just coughed, turned up the distortion and played the Solo to "Blood And Glory"....Perfectly, i mean she nailed every note, she looked at the guys and just said, "You were saying?"

They walked away, and i walked over and shook her hand and congratulated her on her ownage.

Anyway, this reminded me of what happened to you rokchik, so i thought i'd share/

Fantastic!! Some people are amazingly huge assholes, I cant even understand that its possible.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 18 2007, 02:01 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 17 2007, 08:51 PM) *

She is my new favourite person ever smile.gif

That is so awesome. It must have been so cool to see Uncreator.

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Dec 18 2007, 04:15 AM
What awesome stories. I wish I had one where I wasn't the guy getting pwned though wink.gif

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Dec 18 2007, 01:25 PM
Learning Roadie
Good on ya Rokchik you showed them neanderthals!!! Great story, thanks for sharing it.

I wish I had the guts to go on stage with someone else's guitar and play a set!

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 19 2007, 02:26 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Dec 17 2007, 05:01 PM) *
She is my new favourite person ever smile.gif

That is so awesome. It must have been so cool to see Uncreator.

I was laughing out loud and the guy behind the counter was holding it in, his face was blood red, it was one of the coolest things ive seen smile.gif

PS

Maybe someday we will see Rokchik up on stage singing and playing the 'ol guitar and shredding up, showing these people just what women can do eh? wink.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 19 2007, 02:20 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 18 2007, 09:26 PM) *
I was laughing out loud and the guy behind the counter was holding it in, his face was blood red, it was one of the coolest things ive seen smile.gif

PS

Maybe someday we will see Rokchik up on stage singing and playing the 'ol guitar and shredding up, showing these people just what women can do eh? wink.gif

There is always a someday biggrin.gif

Anything is possible I guess. I did really enjoy myself and I am getting better everyday. This experience really has me practicing extra hard for some reason. I'm hoping to post some things in the new year...have a PodXt ordered but won't be here apparently until after New Years and a new laptop on the way aswell. I really would like the opinion of my fellow GMC'ers on my playing because I know it will be honest and constructive.

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Dec 19 2007, 06:50 PM
Sorry for butting in here but I'd just like to add yet another voice of reason to this. Good show rok and uncreator and to the girl nailing em at the store.

I wish I had enough courage and skill to just get up on stage totally unprepared and kick ass. Or play at all at the store.

Im sick to death about women getting patronized or put down because of their sex. But no matter how much you speak for or about it the change will come slowly and those morons at the shop or at the party will wake up tomorrow and they will still have their formed opinion. Its sad but its true, that sort of people tends to have a slow process of learning stuff.

Anyway, time to get practicing so one day I can too show someone off. All Ive ever done is surprise people with being intelligent while dressing "metal". For some reason people expect me to be stupid. Damn people and prejudice eh? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Dec 19 2007, 07:53 PM
Wow, nice story. I'm really impressed, rokchik, and it must have been awesome to show that idiot what you could do. The other storys are really nice aswell, I love it when rude people who think they know everything about everybody gets what they deserve. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 19 2007, 10:38 PM
The Dark Canuck
Thanks guys smile.gif

@ Steelkonsum - I totally agree with what you said. Things change slowly and people will always have their formed ( or mis-informed smile.gif ) opinions. But it's always good when you can make them see the light....even if it's only for a split second. And as for being good enough, well, I don't know about that, I just played songs I knew I could kind of pull off....the getting on stage well that was more a combo of ego and few beer smile.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
edgor67
Dec 20 2007, 01:18 AM
Rock Chick, you are a great guitar player. We found GMC and what we learn is more than entertainers know. That is what those dudes were entertainers. Google Rodrigo Y Gabriela I'm sure you'll be impressed.

I get burnt out from work and have to drag myself to practice and sometimes the guitar just falls into my hands. We have nothing to do with the rest of our lives but continue to learn how to play.

ROCK ON!

edgor

EDIT: I'm gonna go cut my nails and get on the acoustic. Thanks for the motivation.

eg

This post has been edited by edgor67: Dec 20 2007, 01:20 AM

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Dec 20 2007, 04:41 AM
It seems like people like to put other people each in their own little box or stereotype, as though they couldn't possibly be an individual person. This makes me really mad, but what makes me even madder, is the people that do everything they can to fit into one of these boxes! Living their entire life by what is popular or what others do or think is "cool"... just makes me want to slap them! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Davidian
Dec 23 2007, 01:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Wow cool stories !

I listen to metal (all kinds of metal) and some of my friends generally dislike metal. That's not a problem to me, I respect any other music genre BUT they really piss me off if they just say things like "Damn metal really s*cks, how could you listen to such kind of music." They especially do that when they hear grunts or screams.
I mean I know not everybody likes such music, but you should at least show respect for the people who play it and listen to it.
Like if they listen to music I don't like, I say : "Ok, I can understand that you like this, but that's not my taste."

Not such a big deal but it is really frustrating sometimes

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
Owen
Dec 23 2007, 09:27 PM
I wear glasses so obviously i have no other interests apart from hacking into the Pentagon on a daily basis.

dry.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Davidian
Dec 24 2007, 04:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Owen @ Dec 23 2007, 09:27 PM) *
I wear glasses so obviously i have no other interests apart from hacking into the Pentagon on a daily basis.

dry.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Dec 25 2007, 04:50 PM
QUOTE (Davidian @ Dec 23 2007, 02:16 PM) *
Wow cool stories !

I listen to metal (all kinds of metal) and some of my friends generally dislike metal. That's not a problem to me, I respect any other music genre BUT they really piss me off if they just say things like "Damn metal really s*cks, how could you listen to such kind of music." They especially do that when they hear grunts or screams.
I mean I know not everybody likes such music, but you should at least show respect for the people who play it and listen to it.
Like if they listen to music I don't like, I say : "Ok, I can understand that you like this, but that's not my taste."

Not such a big deal but it is really frustrating sometimes

Yep, same thing with some of my friends, it really annoys me when they are mockin' me because I listen to music such as opeth and saying it sucks, and what really bugs me out is when they are trying to imitate the growls or grunts, and doing it in a disrespectful way, like there something wrong with me ??!!!

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Dec 26 2007, 03:30 AM
Being older is another one that gets stereotyped....people assume that you haven't stayed current with music. I mean, I have bought music since David Lee Roth left Van Halen...I do have a radio, etc.

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 26 2007, 03:50 AM
People actually get mad at me for liking Coheed And Cambria, They assume that since Claudio has a high voice, he sings about breaking up with girlfriends....and that pisses me off, because, well i dont know if this happened to you, but has anyone discovered you like a band and then say something ignorant like "How can you like them all they sing about is this or that!!!", And if anyone has ever actually read Coheed And Cambria's lyrics, the story has nothing to do with that, in fact, there is alot of dark and complex topics such as Death, Betrayal, Lies, Love and so many other things.

I just hate it when people tell me what my music is and isn't when they dont even listen to it dry.gif

+Quote Post
Vinicitur
Jan 5 2008, 09:36 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 25 2007, 10:50 PM) *
i dont know if this happened to you, but has anyone discovered you like a band and then say something ignorant like "How can you like them all they sing about is this or that!!!"

Yeah, for me it was in '98. I decide to lend 2 of my favorite CDs at the time to a co-worker (Nightwish-Oceanborn and Moonspell-Wolfheart).

The next day he asked me why I was still listening to Metal since it wasn't popular anymore. My answer was that I wasn't a sheep and I could make my own decision about music.

--------------------
IPB Image

There are 2 types of people in the world: consumers and creators. Which one are you?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:30 PM