5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stereotypes And Music, Has anyone had a bad experience?
at lights end
post Jan 6 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #61

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.460

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 26 2007, 02:50 AM) *
People actually get mad at me for liking Coheed And Cambria, They assume that since Claudio has a high voice, he sings about breaking up with girlfriends....and that pisses me off, because, well i dont know if this happened to you, but has anyone discovered you like a band and then say something ignorant like "How can you like them all they sing about is this or that!!!", And if anyone has ever actually read Coheed And Cambria's lyrics, the story has nothing to do with that, in fact, there is alot of dark and complex topics such as Death, Betrayal, Lies, Love and so many other things.

I just hate it when people tell me what my music is and isn't when they dont even listen to it dry.gif

coheed and cambria! that guy has THE COOLEST hair! biggrin.gif

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JasoninOhio
post Jan 8 2008, 05:58 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 3.710

I am a new member and have been roaming around the site now for a few days, reading posts, talking with the instructors, so on and so forth. I came across this topic and decided I would add my two cents, for what it's worth, so, here goes.

Some years ago, I dated a woman (who coincidentally became my ex-wife at some point, different time, different story) that was a bar-maid at a local watering hole. A real small, one door, darkly lit kind of place. It's the last bar on the "let's go here since everything else is closed" list. Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I just happened to be in the place with my bar maid girlfriend. The place is moving pretty good for a Saturday night, plenty of people in the joint. They have some kid, maybe 22 or so, playing acoustic sets. He's played some Alice in Chains, STP and the likes. An inehbriated patron starts calling for something a little slower (in hopes, I assumed, of finding someone as intoxicated as he to dance with). At any rate, the young man decides it's time for a break. He places his guitar in the rack and steps away. I promptly asked him if he knew anything other than the aforementioned tunes he'd played. He turned his nose up and said, "Dude, these idiots don't know what the hell I'm playin'" I proceeded to inform him that in fact, someone (myself) did know what he was playing and that there had been a request for something a bit slower. Well, needless to say, he wasn't interested in talking anymore. Apparently rock stars don't have to talk to "the general public" and I was looking for his manager at this point, to no avail. Well, things start back up and the crowd has now formed into pretty much one voice, calling requests for something slower. The kid puts his guitar down and says, "If any of you asses out there can do something, come on up!" You don't know me from Adam, but, I sure love a challenge. I was all over that guitar in a matter of a heartbeat. I had just recently wrote a slower to moderate song called "Jo-Jo's coffee stand" but, that's not what I opened with. Admittedly, I fumbled around with the guitar more than I probably should have, which did have the intended effect. The young man snickered and scoffed to some friends of his. Thats's when I decided to let loose. I played a slower rock song I'd written called "Think about me". The thing about this song isn't that it is difficult, the progressions are quite simple. It's the fact that the lead is played by the rythmn guitar in "chops" while singing. As I finished, he decided his break was over, however, the owner of the place decided it wasn't. He replaced him right then and there, with me, obviously. By this time, my girlfriend had already retrieved my guitar from the car. I played out the rest of the night and made almost $200.00. It was one of the only times I have played live and the only time I have played a bar. At any rate, some time later, I ran into that same kid. To my astonishment, he actually wanted me to teach him a few things about writing and what not, to which, I replied, "Talk to my manager, I don't usually converse with the general public."

It just goes to show you that no matter how good you might think you are at something, someone out there will always teach you something you didn't already know.

I hope you all liked my story and I welcome any comments on it!

Jason

This post has been edited by JasoninOhio: Jan 14 2008, 04:54 PM

--------------------
My gear includes:
An acoustic Alvarez RD20CU
An electric Ibanez GR10
An electric Yamaha-on loan to my younger brother
Another electric Ibanez-I don't play it much
And an electric Kramer-in pieces awaiting another paint job (this is year 7 I believe)
Peavey Renown 212

And some various pedals as well as a BOSS BR1600 studio.

+Quote Post
Goliath
post Jan 10 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 2.254

Eh why not, I'll have a go.

I'm pretty much a "yuppie" if you want to be a jerk about it. Mid 20's, all my clothes are work clothes, or T-shirts/jeans, so I usually look like some hybrid business casual type of deal. When I go into guitar shops which I have since decided are some sort of fashion show about who can be the most "metal", I stick out. I'm not fantastic at guitar (who admits that?) but I'm decent I suppose. I'm also 6'-6" and built like a former football college player, not trying to brag, but its the truth (if I had a dollar for each time asked where I played, I wouldn't have to pay for my beers), but if I pick up a "metal" guitar I've overheard snickers a couple times. I start test driving it and usually end up making a friend or talking to folks who had previously written me off and have since seen me at concerts and the like. Of course, folks also expect me to be a big dumb jock, which is fine, being underestimated is never a bad thing tongue.gif.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Angelica
post Feb 23 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 4.315

QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Dec 13 2007, 03:10 AM) *
Idiocy is more common than carbon.

Here in Italy there's the saying "La madre dei cretini è sempre incinta, which means "idots' mother is always pregnant".

I know something about it... and my country is not known as particularly open-minded with regards to women and stereotypes!
The day before yesterday, I entered the music shop near my house, and asked for a distortion pedal from Boss.
The scene has been unbelievable. THe guy who was serving, looked at me with an idiot expression, and then laughed "yes we have one". "Two other guys arrived, to look at that freak who was asking for an heavy distortion pedal: a girlish girl with girlie face - me. They stared at me from head to feet and then said "yes, sure, we have pedals from Boss". Whilst I'm not expert in pedals' subject I tried asking something, such as "what's the main difference with beringer ones"?. At that moment another guy came and they started to laugh, looking at themselves with very amused expressions. "They said "well they are 3 times better!" And went on to laugh. In the end, they didn't show me the effects. I went away with a very wicked sensation, feeling really humiliated. In the end, they didn't even sell a product and had a loss in money for their behaviour. And moreover, I decided not to go anymore to the nearest guitar shop, but prefere to cross all the city to get to another one where they're much kinder.

Another arguement i hear very often, since i turned 25, is: "what do you think about singing and playing, you're too OLD!"
And who says that is always older people (my father which is 58, or my granma!). Well it looks like that time when i was driving my car and a transexual on the road shouted at me "b...h". ME old? Look at you!!!!! Unbelievable....

Well I think people are so cruel with other's dreams just because they're so frustrated, they can't accept someone tries to get fulfilled in his lfe when they don't. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Angelica: Feb 23 2008, 09:44 AM

--------------------

It's better to please much to a few, than to please a few to many

+Quote Post
Robin
post Feb 23 2008, 10:22 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 1.061

QUOTE (Angelica @ Feb 23 2008, 09:29 AM) *
I know something about it... and my country is not known as particularly open-minded with regards to women and stereotypes!
The day before yesterday, I entered the music shop near my house, and asked for a distortion pedal from Boss.
The scene has been unbelievable. THe guy who was serving, looked at me with an idiot expression, and then laughed "yes we have one". "Two other guys arrived, to look at that freak who was asking for an heavy distortion pedal: a girlish girl with girlie face - me. They stared at me from head to feet and then said "yes, sure, we have pedals from Boss". Whilst I'm not expert in pedals' subject I tried asking something, such as "what's the main difference with beringer ones"?. At that moment another guy came and they started to laugh, looking at themselves with very amused expressions. "They said "well they are 3 times better!" And went on to laugh. In the end, they didn't show me the effects. I went away with a very wicked sensation, feeling really humiliated. In the end, they didn't even sell a product and had a loss in money for their behaviour. And moreover, I decided not to go anymore to the nearest guitar shop, but prefere to cross all the city to get to another one where they're much kinder.

blink.gif sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
post Feb 23 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 2.620

Angelica's post

Wow those guys sound like some real dimwits... dry.gif
I can't believe that some music shops could have people like that working in them... blink.gif I guess I'm lucky then cos I go to music shop that feels like going home...

Besides, you don't look old... atleast you face doesn't... if that is you on you avatar....
I gotta ask, laugh.gif Why the hell did a tansexual shout at you like that if you were just driving by ?!? laugh.gif

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Angelica
post Feb 23 2008, 11:16 AM
Post #67

QUOTE (Tuubsu @ Feb 23 2008, 11:02 AM) *
I go to music shop that feels like going home...

Besides, you don't look old... atleast you face doesn't... if that is you on you avatar....
I gotta ask, laugh.gif Why the hell did a tansexual shout at you like that if you were just driving by ?!? laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Yeah, luckyly I have a place where I feel at home as well tongue.gif

Sure it's me in the avatar! I am really like that. I know I show less than nearly (sigh! ) 27. But i suppose arguements for the age were because "one at 27 is not young anymore to do what he likes", or things like that.
Glad if you have never had issues like that

Well, the transexual shouted at me because.... he was soooo funny with that silver dress and silver boots... and I was having a laugh seeing him rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Melvyn
post Feb 23 2008, 11:17 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 4.039

I come from South Wales, which has been recently heralded as the 'Emo Capital of Europe' which is a pretty impressive feat, due to the succession of such bands as Lostprophets, Bullet for my Valentine, the Automatic and more, and so its pretty hard not to get sucked into the trends that pop up. Problem is, you get ridiculed for not being 'trendy', and just because ive got long hair and wear my favourite band shirts im a 'Goth' -.-
I was assaulted a few months ago (after the local DT & SX gig) because i was wearing a Dream Theater shirt and jeans, which is just rediculous. My oppinion on music, Listen to whatever you want, just a) Dont make me listen to it and cool.gif dont say that X band are rubbish, just because you dont like them, thats an Oppinion, not a fact.

If a band has fans it cant be rubbish, which is a concept about 90% of the people in my college cannot grasp

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
post Feb 23 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #69

QUOTE (Angelica @ Feb 23 2008, 12:16 PM) *
Well, the transexual shouted at me because.... he was soooo funny with that silver dress and silver boots... and I was having a laugh seeing him rolleyes.gif

Ofcourse I don't wanna insult any possible transexuals at GMC rolleyes.gif (if there are any.. wink.gif ) but, there was a transexual with silver dress and silver boots and he or she or whatever thought you were laughing at his or hers or whatevers age!?! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
blindwillie
post Feb 23 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 1.434

QUOTE (Angelica @ Feb 23 2008, 09:29 AM) *
Well I think people are so cruel with other's dreams just because they're so frustrated, they can't accept someone tries to get fulfilled in his lfe when they don't. rolleyes.gif

Reading your post saddens me Angelica.
As you say, in the end it's their loss but it still hurts. I think what you say in this qoute is close to the truth. Seeing other people living their life in a way they can't understand, and even have the nerve to be happy with, really rocks their world.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Angelica
post Feb 23 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #71

QUOTE (Tuubsu @ Feb 23 2008, 11:29 AM) *
Ofcourse I don't wanna insult any possible transexuals at GMC rolleyes.gif (if there are any.. wink.gif ) but, there was a transexual with silver dress and silver boots and he or she or whatever thought you were laughing at his or hers or whatevers age!?! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Noo probably I didn't express myself well laugh.gif laugh.gif
it was a comparison, being told that I'm old by a 77 old person is like being called b...h by a transexual on the road!!! THat's what I meant biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Angelica: Feb 23 2008, 02:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
post Feb 23 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #72

aaaawwwww.... I thought it really happened laugh.gif silly me! laugh.gif

--------------------
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Angelica
post Feb 23 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #73

QUOTE (Tuubsu @ Feb 23 2008, 02:44 PM) *
aaaawwwww.... I thought it really happened laugh.gif silly me! laugh.gif

YEAH, sure, it really happened. But it wasn't for my age! It was because I was laughing at him/her!
But, THE FACT THAT A TRANS HAS TOLD ME THAT, IS AS STRANGE, AS THE FACT THAT MY GRANMA.....

Ohh damn, nevermind! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Angelica: Feb 23 2008, 02:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
post Feb 23 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #74

Ok... maybe it's not that important... smile.gif my head hurts anyway wink.gif

--------------------
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
post Feb 23 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 2.857

I'm glad my music store isn't like some of them that we are talking about. some girl walked in one day, went right up to the counter and asked to buy 2 digitech pedals, and a marshall JVM stack, the the people that work there just said ok, and the whole time i was like, where do people get that money?

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
rokchik
post Feb 26 2008, 01:29 AM
Post #76

Moderator - The Dark Canuck
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.395

QUOTE (Angelica @ Feb 23 2008, 04:29 AM) *
Here in Italy there's the saying "La madre dei cretini è sempre incinta, which means "idots' mother is always pregnant".

Another arguement i hear very often, since i turned 25, is: "what do you think about singing and playing, you're too OLD!"
And who says that is always older people (my father which is 58, or my granma!). Well it looks like that time when i was driving my car and a transexual on the road shouted at me "b...h". ME old? Look at you!!!!! Unbelievable....

I started playing guitar at 28 and will be 31 in April. It's never to late and your never too old to try something new. So you do what you feel you have to girl. Don't let people get you down on your dreams.

As for the idiots at the music store....well I wouldn't let that get you down either. Music stores can be very intimidating places and the sales people tend to be arrogant and/or ignorant (not all but some). Even more so if a women walks in, or for that matter you walk in and don't know a lot. Seems like it's a chore for them to serve you or they get all smart ass like in your experience. It's sad really. But you've found a better store and one of these days you will go back and blow them all away with all you've learned here at GMC and they will bow down to your Guitar Godess powers. smile.gif

rok

+Quote Post
blindwillie
post Feb 26 2008, 10:51 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 1.434

QUOTE (JasoninOhio @ Jan 8 2008, 05:58 PM) *
I am a new member and have been roaming around the site now for a few days, reading posts, talking with the instructors, so on and so forth. I came across this topic and decided I would add my two cents, for what it's worth, so, here goes.

Some years ago, I dated a woman (who coincidentally became my ex-wife at some point, different time, different story) that was a bar-maid at a local watering hole. A real small, one door, darkly lit kind of place. It's the last bar on the "let's go here since everything else is closed" list. Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I just happened to be in the place with my bar maid girlfriend. The place is moving pretty good for a Saturday night, plenty of people in the joint. They have some kid, maybe 22 or so, playing acoustic sets. He's played some Alice in Chains, STP and the likes. An inehbriated patron starts calling for something a little slower (in hopes, I assumed, of finding someone as intoxicated as he to dance with). At any rate, the young man decides it's time for a break. He places his guitar in the rack and steps away. I promptly asked him if he knew anything other than the aforementioned tunes he'd played. He turned his nose up and said, "Dude, these idiots don't know what the hell I'm playin'" I proceeded to inform him that in fact, someone (myself) did know what he was playing and that there had been a request for something a bit slower. Well, needless to say, he wasn't interested in talking anymore. Apparently rock stars don't have to talk to "the general public" and I was looking for his manager at this point, to no avail. Well, things start back up and the crowd has now formed into pretty much one voice, calling requests for something slower. The kid puts his guitar down and says, "If any of you asses out there can do something, come on up!" You don't know me from Adam, but, I sure love a challenge. I was all over that guitar in a matter of a heartbeat. I had just recently wrote a slower to moderate song called "Jo-Jo's coffee stand" but, that's not what I opened with. Admittedly, I fumbled around with the guitar more than I probably should have, which did have the intended effect. The young man snickered and scoffed to some friends of his. Thats's when I decided to let loose. I played a slower rock song I'd written called "Think about me". The thing about this song isn't that it is difficult, the progressions are quite simple. It's the fact that the lead is played by the rythmn guitar in "chops" while singing. As I finished, he decided his break was over, however, the owner of the place decided it wasn't. He replaced him right then and there, with me, obviously. By this time, my girlfriend had already retrieved my guitar from the car. I played out the rest of the night and made almost $200.00. It was one of the only times I have played live and the only time I have played a bar. At any rate, some time later, I ran into that same kid. To my astonishment, he actually wanted me to teach him a few things about writing and what not, to which, I replied, "Talk to my manager, I don't usually converse with the general public."

It just goes to show you that no matter how good you might think you are at something, someone out there will always teach you something you didn't already know.

I hope you all liked my story and I welcome any comments on it!

Jason

Great story Jason biggrin.gif
It would have been better for him to just admit, sorry guys I don't knowe any slow songs.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Feb 28 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #78

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Rokchik:
It's sad but you can meet people like those "gentlemen" all the time here in Argentina. Even more in the musical ambience. That's the thing that I most appreciate of GMC... the respect and nice atmosphere that I can feel every day between the members in this great comunity.

Thank you for sharing this experience with us. I hope that they (the gentlemen) have learnt with this experience. I feel very proud because you played my Muse lesson and they like it! Thank you for giving them Cirse' link. smile.gif

So... keep on rocking the world! wink.gif

gabriel.-

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
post Feb 28 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #79

Singing Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2.226

To rokchik:

Mi Gosh!
I enjoyed your story so much! Thank you for sharing this... rolleyes.gif

I had a similar story...
As you know I'm a singer... and I'm 30, but I look like if I were 23/25 tongue.gif . that's because I'm short and I'm always using rocker clothes...Here, in Argentina, girls of 30 are married with kids (like all my friends) or are wearing like a 30 years old girl! The girls like me.. with my age... (the rockers girls) are hard to find. So everyone think I'm 23. It's so funny laugh.gif

Well... The point is that nobody believes that I can rock! but "sweet hard" if you could see me, you'll notice that I can do it! wink.gif jajajaja
Everywhere I go to play is the same. So I'm so happy when they look at to me and his jaw just fall down. I enjoy it so so so much! biggrin.gif

Sometimes the journalists ask me about women who rocks, and I always answer the same thing. Thing are changing... girls can rock and boys are starting to let us rock. So we are sharing place... and it's better that way

--------------------

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
post Feb 28 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #80

Member No.: 862

QUOTE (Angelica @ Feb 23 2008, 02:47 PM) *
YEAH, sure, it really happened. But it wasn't for my age! It was because I was laughing at him/her!
But, THE FACT THAT A TRANS HAS TOLD ME THAT, IS AS STRANGE, AS THE FACT THAT MY GRANMA.....

Ohh damn, nevermind! biggrin.gif

Nevermind, was too off topic.

This post has been edited by RIP Dime: Feb 28 2008, 02:30 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2017 - 12:20 AM