Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Abrsm Theory Exams
OrganisedConfusi...
post Dec 23 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.401

I'm wanting to start doing graded exams and I don't know whether I'd be able to learn the stuff for February although I've been playing guitar for 5 years so I am pretty sure I'm quite above this level anyway.

What is involved in Grade 1 Theory with ABRSM?

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Dec 23 2007, 02:27 PM
Post #2

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

hi There ! I skipped to grade 2 as a start, I just worked though the AB guide to music theory, which i got of the net. I would have thought if you studied hard its more than doable !! smile.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Dec 23 2007, 02:27 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Dec 23 2007, 02:37 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 23 2007, 01:27 PM) *
hi There ! I skipped to grade 2 as a start, I just worked though the AB guide to music theory, which i got of the net. I would have thought if you studied hard its more than doable !! smile.gif

Where can you get that information from? Have you a link at all?

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Dec 23 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #4

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

sure! more info can be found here http://www.abrsm.org/?page=exams

smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Dec 23 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #5

Thanks Matt. I hope the exams go well for me and good luck for your Grade 3 exam smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Dec 23 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #6

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 23 2007, 02:50 PM) *
Thanks Matt. I hope the exams go well for me and good luck for your Grade 3 exam smile.gif

Thanks man, i may be doing 4 but see how it goes smile.gif My music teacher gives me tips on how to answer questions too, it all helps ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Dec 23 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #7

I bought the Music Theory in Practice book for Grade 1 and past papers from last 3 years for Grade 1. I am looking forward to starting my Music Theory Road smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
post Dec 24 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3.415

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 23 2007, 01:22 PM) *
I'm wanting to start doing graded exams and I don't know whether I'd be able to learn the stuff for February although I've been playing guitar for 5 years so I am pretty sure I'm quite above this level anyway.

What is involved in Grade 1 Theory with ABRSM?

I skipped straight to grade 5, then did 8, so I'm not 100% sure about the grade 1 syllabus. But I assume it will deal with basic key signatures, note values, time signatures, maybe some basic harmony (notes in chords etc). Nothing too swish, so with 5 years guitar behind you I'm sure you'll ace it. smile.gif

Edit: Just got your PM dude, yeah no problem bring your grade 1 workbook to your first lesson with me and we'll spend some time on that too!

This post has been edited by David.C.Bond: Dec 24 2007, 12:07 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Dec 24 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #9

I did have another question. Once you get Grade 2 in Theory does that totally cancel out Grade 1. So if you get Merit for Grade 1 and Distinction for Grade 2 then all you need to worry about is Grade 2 Distinction?

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
post Dec 24 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #10

Hmm well grades are just an achievement, it's not like someone comes round to your house and demands your Grade 1 certificate back when you get Grade 2!
Its just like in high school for instance, you could get a B in your Maths SATS, and an A in GCSE Maths, but you still have both qualifications under your belt.
That make sense?

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Dec 24 2007, 11:36 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 24 2007, 10:34 AM) *
Hmm well grades are just an achievement, it's not like someone comes round to your house and demands your Grade 1 certificate back when you get Grade 2!
Its just like in high school for instance, you could get a B in your Maths SATS, and an A in GCSE Maths, but you still have both qualifications under your belt.
That make sense?

Yeah. That makes sense. I guess people wouldn't bother asking for a Grade 1 Certificate when you are Grade 8. I'm going to do Grades in actually playing the guitar at some time also.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
post Dec 24 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 24 2007, 10:36 AM) *
Yeah. That makes sense. I guess people wouldn't bother asking for a Grade 1 Certificate when you are Grade 8. I'm going to do Grades in actually playing the guitar at some time also.

Cool, thats a good idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2017 - 10:46 PM