Reply to this topicStart new topic
> String Gauge And Brand- Does It Help ?
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Dec 24 2007, 07:53 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.243

Well I was looking around at all the different boxes of strings I had. And well I was just wondering if like a different gauge would be easier for legato or vibrato or anything like that or even a different string brand , would it give you a different sound ? Seems as if they all sound the same. Makes me wonder why I pay more for DR's when Slinky's seem just as good blink.gif . Discuss.

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zephyr
post Dec 24 2007, 08:03 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2.595

Different strings have a HUGE effect, both on the way the guitar plays and the way it sounds. Thinner strings will be much easier to bend further and will just be easier on your fingers altogether, but heavier gauge strings will have a much warmer, thicker sound, (very good for the blues, in my opinion! wink.gif ) and I imagine they would be good for heavy rhythm stuff as well. I've heard the heavier gauges work better with lower tunings as well, but I have very little experience with alternate tunings, so you might want to confirm that. You basically want a string that bends as far as you want it to, but still gets the tone you want!

As for brands, it just depends on personal preference. Ask around to find what other people think of some brands, and try a couple out. Elixir's are interesting, they're coated with a really thin cover of something (gotta love my scientific knowledge there) that supposedly helps the string last and keep it's tone longer.

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Dec 24 2007, 08:10 AM

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
post Dec 24 2007, 08:04 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3.529

I'm pretty sure that thinner strings are easy to vibrato with. Thicker one's don't snap as often as the thin ones though.

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
post Dec 24 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3.415

The string gauge is pretty self explanatory, heavier gauge make a thicker, more bassy tone, but harder to bend and do vibrato.

As for brands, I tend to stick to Ernie Ball, mainly just beacause I've bought them for a long time and I know they're good.
Also, I use 10-52s and once I bought this gauge in D'addarios and it totally messed up my floyd, thus affecting the action. So it would seem gauges aren't consistent throughout the brands. Thats a major reason why I keep buying Ernie Ball's, I know my floyd is set up just right for them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Dec 24 2007, 11:38 AM
Post #5

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

I've always been using 9-42 and i don't even plan on going to different gauge. I tried 10 but it was already to thick to play bends so i got back to 9-42 - somehow feels most natural smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Dec 24 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3.401

I always prefer to use 10's as 9's sound awful usually. Such a thin sound.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
post Dec 24 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #7

Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.860

QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 24 2007, 10:27 AM) *
The string gauge is pretty self explanatory, heavier gauge make a thicker, more bassy tone, but harder to bend and do vibrato.

As for brands, I tend to stick to Ernie Ball, mainly just beacause I've bought them for a long time and I know they're good.
Also, I use 10-52s and once I bought this gauge in D'addarios and it totally messed up my floyd, thus affecting the action. So it would seem gauges aren't consistent throughout the brands. Thats a major reason why I keep buying Ernie Ball's, I know my floyd is set up just right for them.

+1

I also use EB`s but 9-42`s, had a simliar issue with a different brand, may have been a set of Dean Markleys (cant remember now) it also mucked up the FR bridge, so I tend stick to EB`s, plus as David said, I`ve bought them for years and like them so not much point going to different (unknown) set.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Dec 24 2007, 12:16 PM
Post #8

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

I use 9 - 42's like Pavel, and I really like them alot!! Vibrato and bends some easy with it smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Dec 25 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

It depends, more thickness means more defined sound. But thinner strings means more speed and bending. Metalheads use hybrid sets like 9-56 and that is great for for heavy riffs and fast solos on treble strings. I use 10-13-17-26-36-46 zakk wylde, and dont have any problem with bending and get somewhat more defined and thicker sound.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Joey
post Dec 25 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2.832

Recently i switched to Elixrs after i saw an ad for them and thought they sounded cool. i expected them to be super expensive but they were no more than any other set of strings in the shop. the nanoweb coating stuff is amazing it makes sliding totally silent and extremely easy theyre also really stretchy and light it took a few days to get used to playing them because they almost play themselves im using 9-42s, you can bend them up 1 1/2 step easily but they dont go out of tune and ive never broken one. i love em biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Joey: Dec 25 2007, 08:54 PM

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Dec 25 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1.243

Its good to hear all the differen options regarding strings . I think I might just have to go with 9-42 now. smile.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Dec 26 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.159

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 24 2007, 11:40 AM) *
I always prefer to use 10's as 9's sound awful usually. Such a thin sound.

So you say my sound is awful,thin???? mad.gif huh.gif laugh.gif

Jocking wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Dec 26 2007, 01:21 AM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Muris you're using 9s? Thats great man, SRV lesson sounds just like him - oh I know - it must be those racks wink.gif cool.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 12:55 AM