Need Some Advice - Keep Les Paul Standard Or Les Paul Studio?
yell03
Dec 26 2007, 01:10 PM
GMC:er
Attached Image

Attached Image

Here is the deal....

Back on 11/27/07 I got a screaming deal on a New Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Honeyburst, it was a Blem for $653.
It is a nice guitar, but it does not feel or play exactly like my idea of a Gibson Les Paul should, but....
It has the hot 490r/498t pick-ups which I like, just like my previous Gibson Les Paul Special Faded and yes it plays better than that one did. It has a medium thickness 59 rounded Les paul neck. Not as thick as a 50s stlye, but not as thin as a 60s style.

For my birthday on 12/23 I bought a New Gibson Les Paul Standard in Latte Cream online for $1699, it should arrive Monday. They matched the price of a Blem on another site after I told them I was going to return my Les Paul Studio. IT is a $2299-$2399 guitar.
I went to many different Music Stores and tried many different Les Pauls out until I found what felt right.
It is a Gibson Les Paul Standard with the thinner 60s style neck.

My dilemma is this, money does not grow on trees, so....

Should I return the Studio, should I keep both, or should I wait until my Standard gets here and make sure it plays and sounds like I want.
I have until next Wednesday or Thursday to return the faded, they sent me a UPS label that is good for 10 days.

Another option I have is, I could sell the Faded later on via Ebay, I will easily get over $700 for it.
It said it was a Blem, but there is no blem, somebody just returned it to upgrade to another Les Paul.

I thought about selling one of my Fenders, but they just play and sound too good.

The thing I am afraid of is returning the Studio and then finding out I like it better than the Standard soundwise or playability wise.
I want on e Les Paul in my corral.

The two guitars are pictured above, the Latte Cream is the top pic and the Honeyburst is the bottom pic.....

Howard

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by yell03: Dec 27 2007, 02:28 AM

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 26 2007, 02:14 PM
Instructor
Keee the studio as a backup if you can, never sell your gear if you don't have too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Goliath
Dec 26 2007, 02:17 PM
I'd offload that Studio on eBay. IF you're not happy with the Studio now, you're never going to be. Sure, the Standard might show up and you might not like that then drop it off on eBay and hopefully the money you'll lose on it will be offset by the money you picked up on the studio. You won't have to list the item on ebay as a Blem or 2nd/B-stock for the Studio. THe nice thing about LP's is you don't lose money on them, they're pretty safe investments.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 26 2007, 06:53 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
+1 with Ivan.

If you don't need to sell for the cash then keep it mate.

Apart from anything you'll lose a lot of cash if you sell straight/soon after buying. Also sell hasty - and I'm with Ivan here - you regret it in the longer term . You buy for a guitar because you like it for a particular reason so why sell if you don't have to?

If you really need the cash that's one thing but otherwise try to keep smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Dec 26 2007, 07:54 PM
Try the standard and if you don't like it, sell it. If it's way better than the studio, sell the studio. If you can't decide keep them both. It's good to have backup, but people will point and stare "at the guy with 2 Gibsons". biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
yell03
Dec 27 2007, 02:37 AM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Dec 26 2007, 08:14 AM) *
Keee the studio as a backup if you can, never sell your gear if you don't have too.

I am starting to think that way. The Studio has its own style, not perfect, but I like it.

QUOTE (Goliath @ Dec 26 2007, 08:17 AM) *
I'd offload that Studio on eBay. IF you're not happy with the Studio now, you're never going to be. Sure, the Standard might show up and you might not like that then drop it off on eBay and hopefully the money you'll lose on it will be offset by the money you picked up on the studio. You won't have to list the item on ebay as a Blem or 2nd/B-stock for the Studio. THe nice thing about LP's is you don't lose money on them, they're pretty safe investments.

I have 45 days to return them through the site I bought them from.
I easily could sell the Studio for more than I bought it for on ebay, so keeping it seems like a wise choice.

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 26 2007, 12:53 PM) *
+1 with Ivan.

If you don't need to sell for the cash then keep it mate.

Apart from anything you'll lose a lot of cash if you sell straight/soon after buying. Also sell hasty - and I'm with Ivan here - you regret it in the longer term . You buy for a guitar because you like it for a particular reason so why sell if you don't have to?

If you really need the cash that's one thing but otherwise try to keep smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

You guys are bad influences on me, pretty soon I'll have 50 guitars, especially now that the site sent me a 20% off coupon on my next purchase. wink.gif

Howard

QUOTE (Tomy Jeon @ Dec 26 2007, 01:54 PM) *
Try the standard and if you don't like it, sell it. If it's way better than the studio, sell the studio. If you can't decide keep them both. It's good to have backup, but people will point and stare "at the guy with 2 Gibsons". biggrin.gif

My Fenders are pretty nice too biggrin.gif

I love all my guitars, if I kept them all I'd be broke.
Alot of the fun is buying and sellling my gear on my quest for the best guitar.

Howard

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post
yell03
Dec 30 2007, 02:08 PM
I made my decision.....

The site ended up giving me an additional 20% off on my guitar, so I ended up getting a Brand New Les paul Standard with case for $1439. smile.gif

I told them thanks and since you did that I will keep my Gibson Les Paul Studio and not return it. It only cost me $653 with case, if I decide to sell I can easily get that back.

I have been toying with the idea of picking up a SG Standard or a 61 Reissue SG if I sold the Studio? tongue.gif

I've been very lucky to fall in to some GREAT deals on guitars lately.

Howard

This post has been edited by yell03: Dec 30 2007, 02:09 PM

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:17 PM