Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Do You Command And Control Feedback?, Similar to SRV or Jimi Hendrix...
post Dec 27 2007, 01:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 210

I've been listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix a lot the last couple months and was curious how do you initiate feedback and control it, etc. Maybe a lesson on using feedback and incorporating it into our jams would be great!

Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Dec 27 2007, 09:16 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.373

Well my friend the most important thing is very loud tube amps, SRV used to play extremely loud... I find when I'm messing around with feedback the amps are cranked and I have a decent amount of tube distortion.

Jimi pioneered usage of the whammy bar and feedback with songs like "Third Rock From the Sun" and "Voodoo Chile" (which both SRV covered).
Stevies biggest influence were Jimi and Albert King, if you listen to their music often you can pick up on their vibe.

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Dec 27 2007, 09:25 AM
+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Dec 27 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

You can't really get decent feedback with solidstate amps, because the feedback from those comes out unnatural and with odd harmonics. With tube amps you get even harmonics and every note you play and hold is exactly the note you will hear sustaining. I am doing some feedbacks for my own songs and fatbot is right when he says you need to crank it up - no volume - no feedback. Try to crank your volume and ad some dist pedals, and then don't play, just press notes on the fretboard and see how they ring and act. If you do this for some time you'll get the fell for it. Decent amount of feedback can only be accomplished in the studio, it is very hard to practice feedbacking at home (unless you don't have neighbours off course wink.gif )

- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
+Quote Post
Chris Evans
post Dec 27 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #4

Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.860

I wouldnt totally agree with huge amounts of volume, some for sure, but plenty of gain/drive and move nearer the speaker of the amp, thats if volume/neighbours is an issue of course , if not .. PLAY IT LOUD!! laugh.gif

Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2016 - 12:47 AM