Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
shellshock1911
This is a very clean-looking guitar, it plays well, and has a nice tone to it. It also has a very strong bass end to it when you turn the distortion on. I got it for $450 USD, and I cannot say that it was money unwell spent, as it is a great guitar. The only problem I have found with it so far is that when I try to bend more than 1 step on the 17th fret of any of the three treble strings, the sound sort of buzzes out and goes away. This guitar has 22 frets, dual humbuckers (not the greatest, but excellent for stock pickups), a 3-way pickup selector (bridge, both, neck), 2 volume knobs, a tone knob, and gold hardware. One of the most unusual features of the guitar is how light it is for an Explorer. Overall, this is great guitar and I own it, and I will give it a 9 out of 10. If anyone has questions, comments, or if they own one too and would like to discuss, feel free to do so.
erik
I stood between this one and an LTD EX-50 about a couple of years ago. Got the LTD and could not be happier about the choise. Not only was the LTD cheaper, it is a lot easyer to play on, had a slightly better tone (none of them are very good) and looked better (in my opinion of course). I have compared them alot, because the rythm guitarist in my band had the korina as his main guitar untill recently.

Well to be quite honest I hate this guitar smile.gif but that's my opinion. It feels like plastic because it's so light, and the fretboard is too wide and doesn't feel good to play on. The gold color on the hardware also wears off eventually. However it's a good beginners-guitar though I would rather choose the LTD EX-50 (which I did), and maby invest in some better pickups (which I also did tongue.gif )

btw, check my avatar, LTD to the left, Korina to the right tongue.gif (old picture)

edit 2:
the problem with the bending can be solved by raising the bridge a little
mattacuk
With this guitar I can pretend to be the edge from U2 wink.gif laugh.gif smile.gif
Goliath
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 6 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With this guitar I can pretend to be the edge from U2 wink.gif laugh.gif smile.gif

Then I can pretend to be Bono and you can pretend to put up with all my lime light stealing, horrid sunglass wearing, ipod commercial ruining, ridiculous cowboy hat wearing, "hello hello" singing, pretentious crap while I make you rich tongue.gif

Guess who one of my favorite bands isn't haha.

OT over...

I assume it's got a TOM style bridge, why not back out the post on the treble side of the guitar a hair so the bends don't fret out past 1 step? An 1/8 of a turn would go a long way.
Bondy
The only problem I have found with it so far is that when I try to bend more than 1 step on the 17th fret of any of the three treble strings, the sound sort of buzzes out and goes away

The neck might be out take it to a tech.I had the same problem with my jackson now its sorted and plays great
mattacuk
QUOTE (Goliath @ Jan 9 2008, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then I can pretend to be Bono and you can pretend to put up with all my lime light stealing, horrid sunglass wearing, ipod commercial ruining, ridiculous cowboy hat wearing, "hello hello" singing, pretentious crap while I make you rich tongue.gif

Guess who one of my favorite bands isn't haha.

Sounds good to me tongue.gif smile.gif
Toni Suominen
Nice review dude, I would love to see some photos of it! smile.gif
Hisham Al-Sanea
nice epiphone you have you need to adjust the neck little to get the clear notes
RIP Dime
Congrats man!
If adjusting the bridge height doesn't work it might be an uneven fret, in that case you'd have to take it to a luthier.
Spreedmaster
You should post some pictures, I,ve seen some pictures on retailer sites but I find they only usualy show guitars from the front which doesn't do them justice. I love the explorer design, they're damn sweet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.